how long after a cow calves will she cycle?

Help Support CattleToday:

shaboomx

Reaction score
:help: Hi,I am new in here but I have a question I need answered. After a cow has a calf how long is it before she will cycle again? Also is it ok to leave the bull in with the cows and calves all the time. I only have 3 cows and one bull so they all run together. And at what age does a limo/angus heifer start to cycle? I don't want them getting bred before a year.
Thanks

yes you can leave the bull running with the cows.most cows cycle 30 to 45 days after calving.when the heifer calf is 8 months old wean her.an keep her away from the bull till shes 15 months old or 750lbs.

shaboomx":2jyxthwz said:
:help: Hi,I am new in here but I have a question I need answered. After a cow has a calf how long is it before she will cycle again?

Typically a heifer/cow will come into heat 21-45 days following calving.

Also is it ok to leave the bull in with the cows and calves all the time.

No, it isn't. Most heifer calves will start cycling around 7-8 months of age, but some can start cycling as early as 3-4 months - depending on how growthy they are, their breed, and their individual maturity. A herd bull does not care about size, and will try to bred anything that is cycling.

I only have 3 cows and one bull so they all run together. And at what age does a limo/angus heifer start to cycle? I don't want them getting bred before a year.
Thanks

Considering a bovines gestation period is nine months and a few days, you probably want to reconsider when you want them getting bred. I would suggest breeding them so they calve as 2 year olds, so that would mean breeding them no earlier than 14 month's old.

:) Thank you everyone....I will pull the bull and hope he stays where he belongs...he likes his girls so fences make no differance to him, unless they are electric. He learned very quickly they hurt! I plan on breeding the heifer in Dec. she will be 14 months then. guess I was smarter than I thought I was. lol again thank you everyone.

:) Sorry if I made it sound like I bred sooner than I do. My heifer will be 14 months in Dec. and that is when she will get bred. My first time to calf heifer is 15 months and the ol girl is 8 yrs...thanks again everyone..

tytower":rhfeippw said:
Same as women cept they only receptive once a month rather than twice

Sounds to me like you're either hanging around with the wrong women, or you need to rethink your approach/technique. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeh she's away with the Fairies at times -others good
It was meant as a joke but in fact it comes from a long depth of experience.
Like is said humans are capable anytime . After the flush of enthusiasm of youth on settling down into marriage ,natural female desire is about two weeks .
No doubt you could research this and if you are not the same (and some women are not) then send me a pm and I'll be right there to investigate.
Inspector Ty to the rescue! always willing to help

tytower":3ns9qek6 said:
It was meant as a joke but in fact it comes from a long depth of experience.

I know it was - just poking a little fun at you. :lol: :lol:

Like is said humans are capable anytime . After the flush of enthusiasm of youth on settling down into marriage ,natural female desire is about two weeks .

Having been married, it is my experience that the female receptivness is directly proportional to the males means of relating to said female, as well as his method of asking. ;-)

No doubt you could research this and if you are not the same (and some women are not) then send me a pm and I'll be right there to investigate.
Inspector Ty to the rescue! always willing to help

This sounds like way more than I bargained for! :lol: :lol: I make it a point to leave married men alone, a simple little matter of morals! ;-)

i have a cow that just calved two weeks ago ,and i think she is in heat now .is that possible??

p.s. shaboomx her calf looks just like the one on your picture!

HEREFORD ROADHOG":3fk77vt7 said:
i have a cow that just calved two weeks ago ,and i think she is in heat now .is that possible??

p.s. shaboomx her calf looks just like the one on your picture!

Yep, it sure is.Sounds like a keeper, very fertile.As long as you don't let her get re bred so soon everything is normal.Cows have heats after calving on average 17 + days after.

Latest posts