How I feed my reticulated python (it's tricky!)

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you guys enjoy hearing about my reptiles?

• Yes! it's interesting!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No, shut up! we don't care!

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
Zelda":2ffrb683 said:
Chrisy, What woulda you got with crossing an African with an Indian?

Also, How do you "sex" a snake? What would be the wrong way to have sex with a snake?

She probably would've gotten an unhealthy hybrid. Those two snakes have different requirements in captivity (I'm assuming the african python is an african rock python). I'm glad you didn't attempt to breed them, Chrisy.

Personally, I prefer to use the sexing probes myself ...

That's how I feel about it too.

hillsdown":14b16bpo said:
Alice":14b16bpo said:
Good GAWD, Chris! I could've gone all day without knowing you had a Python named Alice...especially one that suffered gender confusion! :p

Alice

That is so funny because that is exactly what I thought when I read Chris's post. :lol: :lol:
Boy oh Boy Alice is gonna love this .......
;-)

Pegged me, hd... 8)

Alice

rkm":1z19hh0z said:
I ws just wondering, do you use a knife or band them fellas?

Good question! Personally, I'd have a machete close by... ;-)

Alice

john250":18uqfz3n said:
Zelda":18uqfz3n said:

Also, How do you "sex" a snake? What would be the wrong way to have sex with a snake?

She probably would've gotten an unhealthy hybrid. Those two snakes have different requirements in captivity (I'm assuming the african python is an african rock python). I'm glad you didn't attempt to breed them, Chrisy.

Personally, I prefer to use the sexing probes myself ...

That's how I feel about it too.

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Alice

Alice":2wk7yiu9 said:
Good GAWD, Chris! I could've gone all day without knowing you had a Python named Alice...especially one that suffered gender confusion! :p

Alice

Some things are beginning to make sense now. :D

(I'm guessing the snake was named after Alice Cooper.)

VanC":2ynfjjc3 said:
Alice":2ynfjjc3 said:

Alice

Some things are beginning to make sense now. :D

(I'm guessing the snake was named after Alice Cooper.)

Well! Aren't you smart! I never would've thought of that...dangit!

Alice

Crowderfarms":2c5jqgfo said:
chrisy":2c5jqgfo said:
I used have two Pythons an African male called Alice and an Indian female called Dillon, Vet sexed them the wrong way

not sure could have been an 'Indican' with aspic jelly :lol:

I haven't got a clue how to sex a snake that's why I left it to the vet. It was my Biology teacher friend who told me he had got it wrong.

Alice thought you might like that one...but I left it because of Alice Cooper at the time I was a fan maddness I know...Chris.

chrisy":2znt6pe8 said:
Crowderfarms":2znt6pe8 said:
chrisy":2znt6pe8 said:
I used have two Pythons an African male called Alice and an Indian female called Dillon, Vet sexed them the wrong way

not sure could have been an 'Indican' with aspic jelly :lol:

I haven't got a clue how to sex a snake that's why I left it to the vet. It was my Biology teacher friend who told me he had got it wrong.

Alice thought you might like that one...but I left it because of Alice Cooper at the time I was a fan maddness I know...Chris.

Madness my hind foot! Alice Cooper rocked!

Alice

Crowderfarms":1se43rs5 said:

Yeah Chrisy, go ahead and answer Crowbar's questions would ya ;-)

MistyMorning":20e76u08 said:
Crowderfarms":20e76u08 said:

Yeah Chrisy, go ahead and answer Crowbar's questions would ya ;-)

I did answer Crow's question...Oh! the last one, with difficulty I would imagine.

Yeah, I'm interested. It's way offbeat, but "how do you feed 'em" is a concern for us cowfolk and you.
What size chick are we talking? Small ones, right? If that thing can swallow a hen, I am outa here.
Gary Larson did some hilarious cartoons with one caption. "Trouble Brewing".
Cattle and crocodiles. I hope you have good fences.
You seem to be taking appropriate caution--but what would I know. Reptile farms are a bit rare around here. Seems to me a lot like dealing with bulls. Don't trust 'em.

Yeah, I'm interested. It's way offbeat, but "how do you feed 'em" is a concern for us cowfolk and you.
What size chick are we talking? Small ones, right? If that thing can swallow a hen, I am outa here.

Sorry, John250, I feed fully grown chickens to him. He's eaten black jersey giant roosters. He's about 18ft long. In fact, last thanksgiving I gave him a fully grown male bronze turkey, but only because it was thanksgiving. It's just cheaper to give him 3-5 chickens every feeding rather that 1-2 turkeys. Of course, with chickens I alo need to feed him more often, but my chickens are so cheap (they hardly require food, they forage the crap out of my entire ranch) it evens out. Whereas my turkeys (which are for me to eat, lol) eat too much to just assume they can live on forage alone.

Zelda":11r1hm4p said:
Alright, cool. I love talking about them. I just enjoy educating others, whether it's against their will or not, lol.

I dont know about the rest of the board members but i dont like stuff forced upon me. Not sure if thats what you meant but thats what it sounded like to me.

A good thing about this board is you are not forced to do anything. If you are not interested in pythons you can just ignore it and move something more interesting.

I dont know about the rest of the board members but i dont like stuff forced upon me. Not sure if thats what you meant but thats what it sounded like to me.

um..did you not see the "lol"? I was kidding around... :oops:

To each his own. I have no interest in raising snakes whatsoever.Although this thread is some pretty interesting reading. However last year I did feed several snakes golfballs which I left in the chicken nests for them. Then I pulled them out of the nest with a hoe and finished them off. But they didn't seem to grow much after eating golfballs. Got 12 last year and none this year.

Cal

Calman":347nn56l said:
To each his own. I have no interest in raising snakes whatsoever.Although this thread is some pretty interesting reading. However last year I did feed several snakes golfballs which I left in the chicken nests for them. Then I pulled them out of the nest with a hoe and finished them off. But they didn't seem to grow much after eating golfballs. Got 12 last year and none this year.

Cal
Sounds like a very good use for golf balls.

Just one last quick question pertaining to carcass yields.

How many pair of Tony Lama Size 11 Boots could I expect to get back from the slaughter house with a Snake this size?

Latest posts