How hot is too hot?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dairy cattle don't take breaks. ;-) Thankfully I work 3rd shift, but the cows still come in showing distress. Misters are on constantly in the freestalls, and we turn a sprinkler on in the holding pen. Only thing I do differently is pressure washing the parlor. Last night I thought I'd wait until 2 AM...but than a storm caused the pressure washer to fail. Oh well...

backhoeboogie":w4suc0qu said:
Wet your shirt and stand in the breeze, you'll make it. Don't get in the A/C during the day. Drink water continually. Keep the sweat out of your eyes because it will burn if you don't. Never eat fried food in the summer. Eat light when you do eat.

Avoid caffeine, too. It is a diuretic and will cause you to lose hydration. Wearing a hat will also help you to beat the heat. Whenever possible, make sure your clothes are 100% cotton at it wicks moisture away from your skin but will not trap it like polyester does. Can you tell that we work regardless of the temps? :lol: :lol: Cattle can be worked at 100+ degrees, but it takes a lot more patience and a much slower pace.

sidney411":6hnvgrir said:
What are these nap things people are taking about?

Hey Sidney, if/when you get it figured out could you clue me in please? Thanks!

My regular job keeps me away from the place for two weeks at a time so I've got plenty to do when I get home. Like many others I start at daylight doing anything that requires extra effort on my part. Building / repairing fence, things like that, then in the middle of the day I switch to riding the tractor, no A.C. but I get by with plenty of water, bushhogging, moving hay etc., late in the day I go back to manual labor, working the cows, etc.

By dark I'm ready for a shower & bed shortly there after.

;-)

msscamp":2eckmole said:
sidney411":2eckmole said:

They're those slow times in the middle of the night that only last an hour or two at a time.

dun

dun":2k4lpje6 said:
msscamp":2k4lpje6 said:
sidney411":2k4lpje6 said:

They're those slow times in the middle of the night that only last an hour or two at a time.

dun

Ah, now I understand - it's sort of like the down time between finishing baling a field at 1 or 2 am, and starting raking another field at 4 am? Since it's too dark to do anything else, one takes a 'nap'? Thanks, Dun! :)

As I work for a company, I have to work the pigs through the day,and my cattle when I get home.
The university cattle people came today to see my Tuli cattle.100f and high humidity, they couldn't believe we had to call the cattle in as they were grazing and not resting in the shade.

90 Isn't to bad, That is what we set the AC on during the day, it's when it gets to be 100 that it really wears me out. I work the cows first thing in the AM or late PM if they need working.

Van and I have been working on a house we bought 3 months ago...he on the weekends, and I during the week between feedings. The inside was ok...had the a/c on...now it's the outside...and that's what's taking the time. Bless Van's heart, he had a heat stroke years ago...and had another smaller one again recently.

We want in our house...yet, nature has a way of screwing that up. Neither one of us can stay outside doing any kind of physical labor more than 30 minutes at a time. Normally, I can handle the heat...not now...not when it's extended like this. Fortunately, right now, we don't have that many animals to attend to...and we planned it that way! Thank goodness, the animals have shade.

I have an old farm dog that's never been inside a house...until this summer. Now, she knocks me down in the morning to get inside.

How hot is too hot? Right freakin' now!

Alice

The humidity is the killer down here. Most people are accustomed to the heat in south La., but you still need to take precautions like drinking even when not thirsty etc.

Many people work outside until 1 or 2 in the afternoon, and go back out after 3 or 4. I've been known to take one of those things that Sidney, Dun, and Msscamp were talking about.

The worst is when it's 8 in the morning, but your already soaking wet because the humidity is above 75%.

I hide in the shade during anything over 90 degrees unless its something really pressing.

Important to remember the humidity plays a big role in how hot is too hot.
We rely on our sweat evaporating to cool us off. High humidity greatly slows down the evaporation and hence our bodies ability to cool itself off.
100 degrees and 10% humidity is entirely different from 100 degrees and 80% humidity.
One is just gonna be uncomfortable for most people. The other is likely to kill you from heat stroke if you overdo it.

What I wouldn't give to be able to work in dry clothes again! I don't live on my farm but I work it a couple of hours everyday and almost all day on weekends. I keep a dry shirt in the truck to change into before I start home. I've given up doing any job that requires safety glasses for now. Nothing but a blur after a couple of minutes.

Hasbeen":1r88n661 said:
I've given up doing any job that requires safety glasses for now.

Luckily for me, there aren't any jobs around my farm which require safety glasses.

:roll: (<--- That's just me making fun of my own arrogance and idiocy, BTW.)

I really do need to find my safety glasses. Thanks for the reminder. :oops:

Angus Guy":2imdqpf6 said:
Everybody who takes naps need to learn that sleep is overated. :) :)

When hubby tries to roll my butt out of bed at dawn on the weekends because there is "work to do" and I complain that "I just want to sleep a bit more"... his comment is always "people die in bed, now get your @$$ up!" :D For some reason that works, and I get my butt a moving!
:D
Michele

mitchwi":1579sta5 said:
Angus Guy":1579sta5 said:
Everybody who takes naps need to learn that sleep is overated. :) :)

When hubby tries to roll my butt out of bed at dawn on the weekends because there is "work to do" and I complain that "I just want to sleep a bit more"... his comment is always "people die in bed, now get your @$$ up!" :D For some reason that works, and I get my butt a moving!
:D
Michele

Its also possible for someone to die trying to get me out of bed! :D

Chris

On a normal summer we only get a couple of days above 90. So I normally just wait a day to do any serious work. If it is 90 today it will be back to a comfortable 75 tomorrow. I figure a 90 degree day is a good day to drive out to the ocean for a little surf fishing. It never hits 90 at the beach.
Dave

Latest posts