How hot is too hot?

Help Support CattleToday:

cmjust0":1bfch8pi said:
Just wondering when you guys say "enough is enough" when it comes to working in the heat? Do you guys work early and late to avoid working in the hottest part of the day, or do you just stick it out to get done what needs getting done? :D :lol:

I don't have the luxury of chosing when I work, it must get done or it won't get done. My suggestion is to start early and aclimate to the heat as the day goes on. Don't go have lunch in air conditioning then go back to the field. Eat under a shade tree. I wear light, light weight cotton shirts - longsleaves sometime. These breath well and the evaporation helps keep you cool. Try buying a Filson shirt. They are expensive but they are made from Egyptian cotton - I think - and they are priceless in hot weather. I've got one that is 10 years old.

Dave":sw8psxf0 said:
On a normal summer we only get a couple of days above 90. So I normally just wait a day to do any serious work. If it is 90 today it will be back to a comfortable 75 tomorrow. I figure a 90 degree day is a good day to drive out to the ocean for a little surf fishing. It never hits 90 at the beach.
Dave

90 is very cool here in the summer. When it cooled off to the high 90's from 108, there was a big difference.

Here a little over a week ago we hit over 100 three days in a row. The fourth day it was 92 and it was pure pleasure. Then the west wind came up, it was 92 at 5:00 and 72 at 8:30. It sure felt nice. I don't think we have been above 80 since. There is nothing about being raised on the Washington coast or my scandinavan ancestory that prepares me for that hot weather.

Dave

Wow, that sure sounds familiar Dave. Back in August of 1980 I spent two weeks hiking and backpacking in the mountains of northwest Washington. Left a long string of 100+ degree days with high humidity in Texas and was simply thrilled with the low to mid 80's weather in Washington. I'd kinda be surprised if it ever got above 85 that entire two weeks, certainly not above 90. But it became rather commonplace to hear the locals complaining and otherwise commenting about the "hot" temperatures. And the Washington weather pattern included very pleasant evenings mornings that were quite cool, not the oppresively steamy conditions I was accustomed to. I was really envious of the weather, but it still felt good to get back home. Magnificent scenery in yoiur state too!

we work for our selves, so it dont matter if its hot or cold, ya gotto get it done. if we waited fot it to cool down we would never get nothing done, when were in the fields we wear long sleeved light weight shirts, jeans, and straw hats, i will put a wet towel around my neck so i can wipe my face off sometimes, and it feels good with water from the cooler on it, my husband tells me that it will put me into shock being so cold.. :lol: other wise our normal attire is jeans or shorts. we dont run our a/c for the whole house cuz we are not at home in the day very much, and we are the only ones here, the kids are gone, so we have a window a/c in our bedroom, we do rather well, i guess we are just used to the heat, but it is hard on ya to go to one extreme to the other hot/cold, its a good way to get sick. a few weeks ago when it hit 106, we were baling hay and it was hot, but with the wind from one way blowing on your front side it was alright, but when ya turned and went the other way, it was smothering, but its done and in, and glad its done. one day when we hit the lotto, we getting matching cab tractors with a/c and heat. :lol: but i think we better buy tickets more than a few times a year..

warpaint":qglkc1cx said:
When it's to hot to golf or go fishin, it's too dang hot!!! ;-)

AMEN! I play in the local Wed nite men's golf league but I blew it off tonite cause I'd been working in this heat all day. No energy left. Supposed to cool off to mid 80's here tomorrow.

I work 3:30 - midnight at my real job. This only leaves the other stuff to be done during the hot of the day. To make it worse I normally go watch the noon news with my elderly mother in the air-conditioner. (she lives nextdoor)I go back out at 12:30 into the heat. I've done this for years and I wouldn't say that I'm use to it. Its just that if its gonna get done I have to do it when I can. I do wear shorts during the summer. I come in around 2:15 for a shower before going to work. I'm normally covered in sweat and smell like the south end of a north facing goat. I've learned to just accept it. I have a 14 year old son that goes out with me (today we were building fences). He doe's sit on the coutch and play videogames but its always after his chores are done. We are building a working shed that I hope to be able to work cattle in at night. Working them in the heat of the day can stress them a little. I have all three of the major breeds of cattle ( black uns, red uns, and white uns,) I can't really tell that any of them do any better than the others. If one is laying in the shade they all are. I can rattle a feed bucket or ring the dinner bell and they will come to the feed pens. They don't care about the heat index. They are wandering " reckon what that thar fat guy is putting in for me to eat" They'll come in and check out the troughs and I can pen any of them if I need to. They run on grass but I give em some 16 percent cubes once a week to keep them coming up. They just don't know if I'm gonna turn them back loose or close a gate and send them through a chute or into a trailer.

ffscj":3kkztqwy said:
mitchwi":3kkztqwy said:
Angus Guy":3kkztqwy said:
Everybody who takes naps need to learn that sleep is overated. :) :)

When hubby tries to roll my butt out of bed at dawn on the weekends because there is "work to do" and I complain that "I just want to sleep a bit more"... his comment is always "people die in bed, now get your @$$ up!" :D For some reason that works, and I get my butt a moving!
:D
Michele

Its also possible for someone to die trying to get me out of bed! :D

Another non 'morning person'? :D :lol: :lol: :lol: Everyone leaves me alone (even my dogs) til I've had my coffee! ;-) :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris

msscamp":21132rs7 said:
ffscj":21132rs7 said:
mitchwi":21132rs7 said:
Angus Guy":21132rs7 said:
Everybody who takes naps need to learn that sleep is overated. :) :)

When hubby tries to roll my butt out of bed at dawn on the weekends because there is "work to do" and I complain that "I just want to sleep a bit more"... his comment is always "people die in bed, now get your @$$ up!" :D For some reason that works, and I get my butt a moving!
:D
Michele

Its also possible for someone to die trying to get me out of bed! :D

Another non 'morning person'? :D :lol: :lol: :lol: Everyone leaves me alone (even my dogs) til I've had my coffee! ;-) :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris

May even take two cups :p

Chris