how full is her bag? My First of Everything

Help Support CattleToday:

Again I may be out of line, but have you really thought through this cow for a pet thing. They are big and eat a lot and they are not very smart. Maybe a nice dog?[/quote]

Love Dogs.. have 2; but I have asked my self once or twice "what the heck am I doing?" I enjoy our LuLu very much, she sure is expensive especially since the coastal hay in our area is unavailable, I'm forced to buy T&A at $10.99 per bale. The price of her $700, Initial Supplies $400, Cost of Barn we built for her $1550; Spending Time with Lulu... Priceless.. :lol:
I can't say we'll keep her forever, however, I don't have plans of selling her anytime soon. Although when she was eating my husbands plants he quickly thought about getting rid of her during that moment.

suzzbread":pm7i7twk said:
He (the vet) only does equine now but has his own her of cows. He said that sometimes while birthing, the momma gets dry and that i should have some vasaline on hand, sometimes he says he needs to reach in there and vasaline the calf so they will slide out much easier. He also mentioned giving the either the Momma or the calf a shot of Dopran because of something to do with the tongue getting swallen.

No vet should suggest those kind of things to a newbie. (No offense intended, Suzz.) He would have been better off to tell you to get a pair of O.B. chains and a calf puller, which, btw, the chains would be a good idea to have on hand just in case. Don't go sticking your hand inside if you don't have to - you risk introducing bacteria to the reproductive tract which can easily lead to a uterine infection after calving.

Might have been Dopram... off hand I believe it's a stimulant for calves that aren't breathing when they hit the ground. Runs like $80 for 20mL, but I think you only need 2mL per calf. I've never used the stuff, though there have been a time or two I wished I had it. I believe it needs to go IV.

I have to agree with MM the vet you spoke to gave you useless info.Do you know your neighbors well and if so and they have cattle ask if you can call/count on them if you need to and if you don't know them time to meet them show up with a hanging basket/pie etc.They could be your lifeline ;sometimes a good neighbor is better than a Doc besause they usually can be there in a few minutes.And like Bez said you probably will come out and find Lulu with a new healthy baby sleeping by her side.Hope all goes well and let us know when she calves.

hillsdown":9b16q4ix said:
I have to agree with MM the vet you spoke to gave you useless info.Do you know your neighbors well and if so and they have cattle ask if you can call/count on them if you need to and if you don't know them time to meet them show up with a hanging basket/pie etc
If I had a new neighbor turn up needing help and asked for it, I would, in all probability, help them if I could.

If they turned up bearing gifts in an obvious attempt to 'get to me' so I would do them a 'favor' in return, this would sour the relationship before it started.

I didn't mean bribe or use them.Everyone should know their neighbors.When we moved here we had a huge summer party for friends ,family and all the neighbors within a 5 mile radius.All by invitation and all comped by us.Got to know everyone and it actually got the neighborhood together.Every year I still give gift baskets to my close neighbors for Christmas and it is not because they helped me out once and awhile.Also it's one cow I hardly think the neighbors would be p'd off to help.I sure wouldn't.Some people are actually nice because that is who they are.

Ryder":3drxwd2r said:
hillsdown":3drxwd2r said:
I have to agree with MM the vet you spoke to gave you useless info.Do you know your neighbors well and if so and they have cattle ask if you can call/count on them if you need to and if you don't know them time to meet them show up with a hanging basket/pie etc
If I had a new neighbor turn up needing help and asked for it, I would, in all probability, help them if I could.

If they turned up bearing gifts in an obvious attempt to 'get to me' so I would do them a 'favor' in return, this would sour the relationship before it started.

I agree. Around here if you want to get to know the neighbors, you drive in, introduce yourself, and say "Hi, I'm your neighbor to the (fill in the blank), and just wanted to introduce myself and say hi", or something along those lines. Eight times out of 10, coffee or iced tea will be offered, conversation follows, and acquaintances are made. I tend to be suspect of anyone I don't know showing up with gifts - makes me wonder what they are up to, or what they want. As far as needing help goes, simply ask. Whether I know you or not does not matter - if I can help I generally will. In the event I can't help, I usually know someone who can help and would be willing to.

And in the old days wasn't it supposed to be you going to the new neighbor and introducing yourself to them with a fresh baked pie after all you know everybody they don't I guess manners and cordialness are not what they used to be .Sad :roll:

hillsdown":8gx5d0n6 said:
And in the old days wasn't it supposed to be you going to the new neighbor and introducing yourself to them with a fresh baked pie after all you know everybody they don't I guess manners and cordialness are not what they used to be .Sad :roll:

Our close neighbors came over with a loaf of fresh bread or pie or something (it's been awhile, I can't recall) when we first moved in. They introduced themselves and invited us to come over and see the farm... I don't remember us thinking they were trying to get a favor from us. We were the biggest bunch of city slickers this area had seen in quite some time. :lol: Way word travels the grapevine in our area, they already knew we knew next to nothing about livestock or farming - they were just being friendly.

I don't see a thing wrong with welcoming new neighbors to the area with a home-baked gift.

Perhaps what the others don't like is the new person bearing gifts when they go to say Hi to their neighbors?

Asking for help from the neighbor is a great idea. In fact, my husband started saying that yesterday. The neighbor raises goats and a few sheep, so he will be helpful. Still waiting for the new and only travelling vet to call me back and will have my neighbor help if needed. My husband will be out of town for the next 5 days so he may miss the whole thing. I actually used to bake the neighbor pies just because I liked baking and enjoyed sharing it, so I'm caught up with the pie giving. I'll definately let you all know when Lulu has her calf. Lulu has been a little moody; from being grumpy to being really sweet, that was yesterday. So let's see what her day becomes today..... :)

Ryder":19rrrdd4 said:
hillsdown":19rrrdd4 said:

she dont look too dialated to me. a few day before calving with the brahman influance in her she will look like you hit her with a axe. and judging her teats she still could be aways off. most teats will strut outward when their real close.if you were to ever need lube use vegetable oil

ok...so I can stop checking on her every five minutes I guess... you don't suppose I have enough time to leave her with a baby sitter for five days..?? That's where I am right now..deciding if I can buy myself 5-6 days to take off with hubby or stay home alone cow watching.... :?: Took new photos today.. still can't upload them though..

ALACOWMAN":16yuv1wp said:
she dont look too dialated to me. a few day before calving with the brahman influance in her she will look like you hit her with a axe. and judging her teats she still could be aways off. most teats will strut outward when their real close.if you were to ever need lube use vegetable oil

suzzbread":10g0lief said:
ok...so I can stop checking on her every five minutes I guess... you don't suppose I have enough time to leave her with a baby sitter for five days..?? That's where I am right now..deciding
  • if I can buy myself 5-6 days to take off
with hubby or stay home alone cow watching.... :?: Took new photos today.. still can't upload them though..

ALACOWMAN":10g0lief said:
o well that's a different story. if you ever are invit'in trouble just decide to take a vacation she'll be sure to go into labor . never fails might be a good way to induce labor, :p

I'm so torn.. I bet that's true..how she'll surely have her calf when I am gone AND we are supposed to get much needed rain tomorrow and next day..so I'm sure that will bring it on too... Do you think there are any stories in the bible that tell me what to do, i.e. Thou who have cattle and husband, follow your husband or stay with your cattle. What's a gal to do... Lulu is very sweet today..lots of kisses...she stood up earlier and her eyeballs about popped out of her head, her eyes got HUGE for about 3 straight long seconds..shortly before that she passed gas, I should be a journalist for Cattle cause I'm giving the play by play on LuLu.
ALACOWMAN":aild6udx said:
suzzbread":aild6udx said:
ok...so I can stop checking on her every five minutes I guess... you don't suppose I have enough time to leave her with a baby sitter for five days..?? That's where I am right now..deciding
  • if I can buy myself 5-6 days to take off
with hubby or stay home alone cow watching.... :?: Took new photos today.. still can't upload them though..

ALACOWMAN":aild6udx said:
o well that's a different story. if you ever are invit'in trouble just decide to take a vacation she'll be sure to go into labor . never fails might be a good way to induce labor, :p

well if you got a neighbor thats pretty handy with cattle i would'nt worry. i doubt she will have trouble with a normal delivery anyway.. its that chance of a malpresentation that always give me ulcers. and it seems to always happen on holidays or vacations .not to mention midnight on the coldest night of the year ;-)

JMO, but she's not that close based on her udder. Give her a week. I wouldn't worry about her yet.

then I go with what you find folks say.. I won't worry about and not to expect her to deliver so quickly. thanks very much... Suzzanne
milkmaid":1qb377w7 said:
JMO, but she's not that close based on her udder. Give her a week. I wouldn't worry about her yet.

Speaking from our experience here you are going to be watching and listening to every little grunt and groan and stretch and think, "Now she's ready." We still do the midnight flashlight runs just because it's exciting. The vet you spoke to seems to be giving you information that isn't really going to help you. Chances are, 99% of the time all will go fine without any assistance. It will seem like she is taking forever but hopefully you will get to witness her calving from a distance not to disturb her and just enjoy the time. We still are excited for each calf but have had to make ourselves step back and wait a little longer instead of jumping to rush. Read all you can on here as there is some great information but expect her to do as she has been bred to do. Go with your instincts and you will probably know when she is having trouble. Invite your neighbor over when you think it's time just for peace of mind and good luck!

All of you have been so helpful.. I wish all of you were my neighbors! Well.. turns out I'm taking off and leaving Lulu with a babysitter who takes care of our doggies at our home. I'll actually be gone more like 10 days since we've added 4 days of business onto the end of our some-what vacation. Let's hope Lulu doesn't calf til we get back and worst cast scenario is the last 4 days of the trip we'll only be 3-4 hrs away. I've never had such a helpful group, thanks for your time. I hope to supply all of you with beautiful calf pictures of Lulu's baby!! God Bless You All!! Suzzanne
TK":97sa0fdp said:
Speaking from our experience here you are going to be watching and listening to every little grunt and groan and stretch and think, "Now she's ready." We still do the midnight flashlight runs just because it's exciting. The vet you spoke to seems to be giving you information that isn't really going to help you. Chances are, 99% of the time all will go fine without any assistance. It will seem like she is taking forever but hopefully you will get to witness her calving from a distance not to disturb her and just enjoy the time. We still are excited for each calf but have had to make ourselves step back and wait a little longer instead of jumping to rush. Read all you can on here as there is some great information but expect her to do as she has been bred to do. Go with your instincts and you will probably know when she is having trouble. Invite your neighbor over when you think it's time just for peace of mind and good luck!

What are you going to do with the calf? Cows are herd animals and like company.

Latest posts