How fat is too fat?

Help Support CattleToday:

jaydill

Reaction score
How can you tell when your heifer has become overly conditioned to the point where it might cause infertility or milking issues?

jaydill":349ykdxw said:
How can you tell when your heifer has become overly conditioned to the point where it might cause infertility or milking issues?

Look at the tail head. If she's wearing shoulder pads, you might have a problem.

So if she develops no fat rolls on the tailhead, you're a-ok?

Jay,

I bought a young heifer last fall at a sale in NC, she was what some thought at the point of being over conditioned. Apparently the breeder that had put her in feeds day old baked goods. Which was unknown to me at the time. I got what I thought was a real good price on her, and was pleased with her bloodline. Fortunately it worked out okay, as after about 6 weeks at home, she cycled and was bred. You may have seen her pic on another thread. I posted about her qualifying for the World show in Ft. Worth, but she is due to calf around the date of the show and a 14 hour trip is out of the question.

Know this doesn't help with your question.

Thanks for the story, the chart, and the laugh. :lol: Thanks especially for that link...it's very informative and I have a much better idea of what I'm looking and feeling for. Warpaint, if it's the heifer I'm thinking I saw a pic of, I really liked the look of her. Glad she took for you. Let us see a pic of that calf once it drops. :)

Definately!!
Between me and the wife, one of us is bound to post a pic. Even when we're over at Rustlers, we get like proud aunts and uncles!! ;-)

Latest posts