How early to sync heifers ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am trying the Anazazi method and will have a lot of heifers to breed this summer. Many people are advising calving heifers before cows, to increase the probability of them cycling before rebreeding starts. What are the practical limits here? Often suggested to calf heifers 3 weeks before cows. But what about 4 weeks before or 6 weeks before or ?

How about 3 weeks after? Thats three weeks less body condition loss, for rebreed. I've done it, it works, but anymore I do them right along with the cows.

What are the practical limits here?
Your ability to get them feed, the availably of feed and the quality of the feed. Good grass/forage, additional concentrate, supplement or whatever to keep them in good condition, have energy to grow, produce milk and to allow their body to have energy to cycle and to attach the fertilized egg. Too much attention is usually on time to calve or age of heifers and not on the planned management to meet their needs. Some ways to help the situation: do not breed to bulls with excess growth so that the calves are not demanding a lot of milk. Keep calving ease in mind either through bulls with well shaped calves for easy birth or bulls with high CED. Have the heifers in good shape but not fat at calving. Be sure that the heifers are not having to compete for feed against bigger and more controlling cows.

Ebenezer":3dmeki43 said:
What are the practical limits here?
Your ability to get them feed, the availably of feed and the quality of the feed. Good grass/forage, additional concentrate, supplement or whatever to keep them in good condition, have energy to grow, produce milk and to allow their body to have energy to cycle and to attach the fertilized egg. Too much attention is usually on time to calve or age of heifers and not on the planned management to meet their needs.
Good tips.

- We have improved pasture and calve the cows on grass in May/June. Ninety percent get fat in the summer and I am slowly selling off the hard keepers.
- Calving the F1 heifers extra early would mean I have to corral them all and feed them separately. So they would be getting alfalfa mix hay and a couple quarts of oats per day to help make it work. I just resorted the open heifers and have 19 left after selling off the three biggest and the unattractive two.
- Most folks here calve earlier, so purchased females often calve before my home breds. First calf this year came on St. Paddy's day at about 25 F in an open front shed. Starting calving now would mean the heifers are 6 weeks ahead of the cow herd.

We let our heifers come into heat naturally last year. First one calved today! I've noticed that you get less sick calves when they're born in cooler weather.

Latest posts