How does the bull look?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
This bull is 19 months old and is Angus/Gelbvieh. What do you think about his appearance?

Lots of better bulls.. hard pass. I just posted some Gelbvieh bulls, 10 months old that look more masculine than he does

I don't think I have ever gotten a glowing critique from bull I have ever posted, but my calves have always sold above the average prices of the time for the last several years. My calves even brought higher than my neighbor's one year who had a registered bull; I don't know about other years, we only discussed the one year. So, with all the negatives mentioned in this bull, if he produces a calf and it sells at a good price, do the negatives really matter? Would there be any gains in selling him and getting one that someone would appear to have all the right stuff?

herofan":3ung3yug said:
I don't think I have ever gotten a glowing critique from bull I have ever posted, but my calves have always sold above the average prices of the time for the last several years. My calves even brought higher than my neighbor's one year who had a registered bull; I don't know about other years, we only discussed the one year. So, with all the negatives mentioned in this bull, if he produces a calf and it sells at a good price, do the negatives really matter? Would there be any gains in selling him and getting one that someone would appear to have all the right stuff?

Therein lies a conundrum. I've been on both sides of that argument and still don't have a good answer. From what I can tell, when you takes calves to market, there are a few things that make calves bring a bit more than average. First would be number, more calves in a group simply sell at a premium over one and two. Saw a graph at a cattle meeting last year, even 5 head will do some better. Quality comes into play too, but sometimes what the feeder calf buyers are looking for may not always be what you or I think is best. Around here the higher priced calves are in good shape but not over conditioned, and not thin. I think that from the feeder standpoint they want calves that will gain weight and that have enough frame to grow out. My opinion only, if you like the bull and are happy with the results that's fine. If I were keeping several replacements, then that is where I think a purebred bull of good quality may be more justifiable.

KYhills, I agree.. The more you want to make genetic progress in your herd the more important the bull is going to be in the long run.

What the buyers want seems to change by the year.. Usually in these parts they really like 5 weights... This year they paid more for my 6 weights though

Here are some of the black Gelbvieh bulls from the breeder I went to, 10 months old, 8-900 lbs

herofan":1wh8jaxe said:
if the calves are topping the sale then he'd be a fine terminal bull. But not something I'd want to keep replacements from. Mainly due to his apparent late maturing

In my honest opinion, I won't use him if I didn't want some medicore steers that probably finish longer in the feedlot. It doesn't matter if the bull is a registered, purebred or mutt as long as the calves are high quality...I don't think I ever seen poor quality calves outsells high quality calves before.

herofan":jx4dsnb6 said:

It might have something to do with the quality of the photos you posted. If you want a good review you need good photos rather than any old snapshot.

Ken

herofan":2ard9drf said:
Looks like a bull calf that was just pasture raise and not helped out with a feed bucket to me. If you don't supplement feed a young bull prospect they won't look good. But there's nothing wrong with the calves they produce.

True Grit Farms":29x0qhbg said:
herofan":29x0qhbg said:
Looks like a bull calf that was just pasture raise and not helped out with a feed bucket to me. If you don't supplement feed a young bull prospect they won't look good. But there's nothing wrong with the calves they produce.
That is what I was going to say. Looks like a bull that has struggled to get where he is. Also, Ken's comment about a good picture is spot on. I have had beautiful cattle that I took pictures and I would NEVER let anyone see the picture because it did not represent what they looked like in real life.
Saying all that, his testicular development is still an indication of late maturing, and would not want replacement heifers from a bull with small nuts.
And sorry if you are offended by the comments, but the pictures you posted appear to be an inferior quality animal if you are looking for a breeding bull.
edit: can you see the quality difference between your bull and the other ones posted? Maybe a lot of difference is nutrition, but not all.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1y4turqm said:
True Grit Farms":1y4turqm said:
herofan":1y4turqm said:
That is what I was going to say. Looks like a bull that has struggled to get where he is. Also, Ken's comment about a good picture is spot on. I have had beautiful cattle that I took pictures and I would NEVER let anyone see the picture because it did not represent what they looked like in real life.
Saying all that, his testicular development is still an indication of late maturing, and would not want replacement heifers from a bull with small nuts.
And sorry if you are offended by the comments, but the pictures you posted appear to be an inferior quality animal if you are looking for a breeding bull.
edit: can you see the quality difference between your bull and the other ones posted? Maybe a lot of difference is nutrition, but not all.

I'm not offended; it's what I expected. He was given feed up to about 7 months and he's been on pasture since.

herofan":3nw1eeo5 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3nw1eeo5 said:
True Grit Farms":3nw1eeo5 said:

I'm not offended; it's what I expected. He was given feed up to about 7 months and he's been on pasture since.

Try doing that the other way around on the next one.

Latest posts