How do you seed forage turnips??

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How do you seed forage turnips? Do they come back every year? What brands have you guys used and where to buy? Thanks

I broad casted some mixed seed and lightly plowed it under. They came up great. Cows ate the greens befor the seed came so I don't know if they would have came back a second year.

Scotty

ARMT

In early Jan, I overseeded purple top turnips & crimson clover into stockpiled bermudagrass with a spinner spreader. I put out 4#/ac turnip, 8# clover & used some old wheat seed as a carrier. After seeding, I grazed off the bermudagrass with 30 hd/ac stock density. This high stock density treads the seed into the soil. Fortunately we have had a couple of good rains in the last 45 days & I am seeing quite a lot of turnips, clover & volunteer rye grass. Am looking forward to good grazing. Will probably start grazing in about 3 weeks. Not sure if the turnips will have much size, but can't let the ryegrass get to big.

I think you will have to plant them every year. The seed is cheap. Have a local feed store that gets 50lb bags & sells small amounts by the pound for $2.50. Have read 2#/ac is adequate, but went with 4# due to overseeding & ryegrass competition.

Good luck & happy trails

Brock

firestormboergoats":2q6zae4o said:
Is it too late to plant turnips? clover?

thanks

Overseeded turnips into coastal last yr in Mar. Almost no turnips survived. Think the volunteer ryegrass had too much of a head start. Probably clover would be the same deal. Turnips & clover might still work on clean tilled ground or coastal that does not have ryegrass. Worked well overseeded in Jan this year when ryegrass was still very small.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck & happy trails

Brock

IMO it's a little too late for turnips, but down here spring is in full swing. For best results they should be planted in late fall. Turnips won't "re-seed" themslves for the most part. You will have to plant them every year.

I've planted turnips before when planting ryegrass. It's weird to watch when the cows figure out that the turnip is under the ground. They go wild for them! Ofcourse they also dig up a bit of ground as well.

[email protected]":2b05xbc7 said:
How do you seed forage turnips? Do they come back every year? What brands have you guys used and where to buy? Thanks
We use a Brillion seeder. Turnips are an annual, you will have to plant every year. You can check out http://www.welterseed.com for turnip seed. They ship seed, or check with your local feedmill/agstore. Turnip seeds are very spherical, so they really flow thru seeding machinery. May want to stop and calibrate after a round or two to get right lbs. per acre you desire. We use purpletop turnips. Cheapest seed, good results. Many hybrids available, just depends on if you want more leafs or more (BIGGER) bulbs. Too big of bulbs can be a choking hazard for cattle. We always have long, grassy meadow hay round bales available to cattle when grazing turnips. Provides roughage , turnips pretty rich feed. (HIGH TDN).

[email protected]":1mimbtf8 said:

as far as brands go, there is a couple of deer mixes that you can buy at the co-op or even wal-mart. there 1 that i tried think it say NO-PLOW, not real sure on that. it came up real good and i hand spread it. i know this is a cattle thread but it works on cattle as well as deer lol.

Latest posts