How do you know when it's time to feed hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Campground Cattle":2eb2dj3w said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2eb2dj3w said:
Yell county is dry as a popcorn fart, grass is gone. Have been feeding hay for two weeks.

Will try to send rain we are drowning, six inches in last ten days or so.
Weatherman says another 4 to 5 inches by the weekend. We are having the wettest year ever. Too wet can be bad also lost several cuttings of hay this year. May and June rained 56 days.

Do I ever remember that drought. Terrible. The best way to find a good fishing hole was to look for where the dust was rising.

Craig-TX

txshowmom":2qoohh1o said:
We have been really lucky this year, we got the right amount of rain at the right time so we haven't had to feed hay all summer (very unusual). I put out a bale last night and the cattle went wild. I don't understand why they still have plenty of green coastal grass. Guess they like the change. My cows are very picky. They won't eat stickers and they don't like the older tall thick grass. They prefer the shorter new growth. Go Figure? You would think grass is grass and a cow would be greatful for any of it these days. :roll:

If you are normally feeding hay in the summer, you have to many cows or you need help with grass management. Do you have a county agent, that could help you.

If you are normally feeding hay in the summer, you have to many cows or you need help with grass management. Do you have a county agent, that could help you.

I don't recall asking for your help.

Feeding hay in the summer? Wow. That's a new one to me, but I'm pretty new to raising cattle too. It seems there would be a problem of having too many cows on the land if you are running out of grass. We have enough cattle so that when one pasture gets eaten down, the other pasture has grown up enough to hold them until the one we just took them off has grown back up. But I guess that's just normal pasture rotating except that we only have 2 pastures. Would prefer more though. Then when the grass is growing really well like it did this summer we open up both pastures and let them go to town. I'm not trying to give you advice or criticize. Just commenting.

You other guys in Arkansas must not have gotten the rain we did here in Northeast Arkansas. The rain and space between rains probably couldn't have been much better here. The farmers are having probably some of the best crops ever. I know some farms that their smallest bale per acre has been 2 1/2 for cotton. That's outstanding. The are having many fields produce over 3 bales per acre. Also several had dryland beans that produced more than 70 bushels per acre.

Josh

jcissell":2g56hku3 said:
Feeding hay in the summer? Wow. That's a new one to me, but I'm pretty new to raising cattle too. It seems there would be a problem of having too many cows on the land if you are running out of grass. We have enough cattle so that when one pasture gets eaten down, the other pasture has grown up enough to hold them until the one we just took them off has grown back up. But I guess that's just normal pasture rotating except that we only have 2 pastures. Would prefer more though. Then when the grass is growing really well like it did this summer we open up both pastures and let them go to town. I'm not trying to give you advice or criticize. Just commenting.

You other guys in Arkansas must not have gotten the rain we did here in Northeast Arkansas. The rain and space between rains probably couldn't have been much better here. The farmers are having probably some of the best crops ever. I know some farms that their smallest bale per acre has been 2 1/2 for cotton. That's outstanding. The are having many fields produce over 3 bales per acre. Also several had dryland beans that produced more than 70 bushels per acre.

Josh

During the drought we started the first year feeding in Spetember, the next year August, the last year in July. Up until this long dry spell (which is now over) we had rain about once a week all through the summer. Then 7 inches in 2 days the middle of August and not another drop until right now. In half an hour we've gotten just under an inch.

dun

We don't have land or water costs so hay is definately our biggest expense. It sucks bad enough having to feed in the winter. Feeding hay in the summer really cuts into profit and would almost make it not worth having any cows unless it was something you really wanted to do. Well that's in a small operation of less than 100 cows like ours.

Josh

txshowmom":2iycgsgm said:
We have been really lucky this year, we got the right amount of rain at the right time so we haven't had to feed hay all summer (very unusual). I put out a bale last night and the cattle went wild. I don't understand why they still have plenty of green coastal grass. Guess they like the change. My cows are very picky. They won't eat stickers and they don't like the older tall thick grass. They prefer the shorter new growth. Go Figure? You would think grass is grass and a cow would be greatful for any of it these days. :roll:

If it is unusual to not have to feed any hay during the summer, I have to agree with Caustic Bruno; You either have to many cattle for your available pasture, or not managing your grazing program properly.

Most cattle like a little change in their feed periodically. At this time of the
year the grass is starting to dry up and the fresh hay probaly seems very tempting to them.

Most cattle don't like to eat stickers and won't eat them, even if they are about to starve. This isn't a good situation to be in.

Most cattle prefer the shorter, tender new growth grass over tough older grass and weeds.
A good way to ensure new growth is to bushhog your pastures periodically and use a rotational grazing program.

I need some help. I went outside tonite and there were these clear wet drops falling from the sky. I stood there and seemed to get wet. what is going on. I don't know what is coming out of the sky since I haven't seen rain in about 8 weeks.

I bet there are some folks in Florida that will cut you a deal on the freight costs and ship you some moisture. :D

txshowmom":3asfpgxq said:

I don't recall asking for your help.

I see nothing wrong with his post. Caustic is normally VERY informative and in depth with his posts and can add alot to this board. Seems to be a very good cattleman.

Brahman cattle like to eat dry hay more than continental or british breeds for some reason. We generally keep a couple of bales out all summer as well. If they want it they'll eat it.

Our pastures are NOT overgrazed. Where we are at in is NOT unusual to get rain only once durring the summer and so we tend to get very dry. We like to put hay out for them, if they want it its there if not them they don't have to eat it. To us it is more important to keep our cattle in good shape then to cut the corner. We also feed about 12 tons a feed a month. Now theres some more for you to jump on. WIth all due respect, I did not come to this post asking for advice. I answeres the origimnal question. Now, is the way we do things the only way? NO. Is it the best way? MAYBE, MAYBE NOT. But it is the way we choose to run our operation. If I need advice I'll ask for it. Until then please refrain from telling me how to run my ranch. Its money out of my pocket, not your.

txshowmom":2wavokgk said:
We also feed about 12 tons a feed a month. Now theres some more for you to jump on.

hmmm......you didn't mention the 12 tons of feed a month when you made this comment:

txshowmom":2wavokgk said:
If we keep our pastures rotated and fertilized and we get rain at the right times we can run about 1 head per 2 acres. We have a little over 100 acres.

txshowmom":2nduoghi said:
If I need advice I'll ask for it. Until then please refrain from telling me how to run my ranch.

Not telling you how to run your farm. Just making suggestions for anyone that may be interested in ways to help run their operation more profitably.

Some people are interested in making a profit on their cattle.

Many others are also newbies at raising cattle.

Now just go take your blood pressure pill and calm down a bit.

txshowmom":3ft9f6w8 said:
If I need advice I'll ask for it.
Maybe you need it, but just don't want it? :D Cattle are put here to harvest feed. They are very good at that job. They are much more efficient than harvesting with tractors and equipment and then using tractors and equipment to put it back in front of them. They are supposed to work for you. Not you for them!

Caustic Burno":2why588u said:
Jumpin Josephat 12 tons a month thats a minumum of 2400 dollars a month out of a sack, ok a little cheaper in bulk.

That could take some profit out of a good cattle farm

la4angus":34mnoc1m said:
Caustic Burno":34mnoc1m said:
Jumpin Josephat 12 tons a month thats a minumum of 2400 dollars a month out of a sack, ok a little cheaper in bulk.

That could take some profit out of a good cattle farm

Had to go get a calculator La4 reading the above post thats 12 tons a month is a feedlot operation You are right on the profit margin.