How do you know when it's time to feed hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

Smart farmer. If nothings on the road or sick then why get out in the rain.

Question for TSM:

Now, if I understand correctly...
You run 400 head on 1000 acres in a 5 mile radius.
You run 6 herd bulls that averaged $16,000 per bull.
You sell 12-15 bulls for an average of $3500 per bull.
You feed 12 ton of feed a month and feed hay during the summer.

Just curious how you manage to only run 6 herd bulls on 400 head. Working those $16,000 bulls pretty hard don't you think?

I would also like to know if you would do my books for me. I am just an average everyday cattleman and there is no way I can afford 12 ton of grain/month or 6, $16,000 bulls if I only sell 15 $3500 bulls a year. Please enlighten me as to how you accomplish what I feel is a great feat.

Caustic Burno":1p5l1pzl said:
Working those $16,000 bulls pretty hard don't you think?
If I had a $16,000 bull, he wouldn't even know what a cows's thing smelled like. He'd sleep in my bed at night and think I was his soulmate.

I really hate to take a chance on my cows hearing that there is such a thing. 'Fraid they'd never give any more to the cheap guys around my place. I'd end up with a bunch of open cows standing around daydreamin'......

Texan":1l21cxtt said:
Caustic Burno":1l21cxtt said:
If I had a $16,000 bull, he wouldn't even know what a cows's thing smelled like. He'd sleep in my bed at night and think I was his soulmate.

I really hate to take a chance on my cows hearing that there is such a thing. 'Fraid they'd never give any more to the cheap guys around my place. I'd end up with a bunch of open cows standing around daydreamin'......

A good friend told me his brother AIed to the top bulls in the country, and wound up keeping one or two heifers out of the matings, because his home-grown bulls sired better calves. Just because they cost more doesn't mean they are better. Now I am not suggesting in any way that TxShowMom's bulls are in that category, so don't get me wrong. Just making a point in general.

Texan":2urbnuum said:
Caustic Burno":2urbnuum said:

But them there $16000 dollar bulls sure would give you some top quality calfs and fancy Show Cattle too !

How do you market your bulls TSM? I think you mentioned they were Brahmans.. my experience with Brahman bulls has been that unless you have one of two brands, they are hard to sell. That's great that you have a market for them!

These $16,000 bulls.. do you buy them from one ranch? Do you do any AI?

Just curious how you manage to only fun 6 herd bulls on 400 head. Working those $16,000 bulls pretty hard don't you think?

We AI a lot of cows as well.

if I only sell 15 $3500 bulls a year

I didn't say that ALL we sell. :roll: :roll: :roll:

txshowmom":mfyqg7jf said:
Whatever. I'm out.
Out? Out of bulls? When will y'all have more ready? What is your busiest season?

I think it shows great discipline to be so tough on your selection that you only sell 15 bulls per year out of that many cows and six $16,000 bulls. You are to be commended. Most registered breeders I'm familiar with wouldn't do that. What the heck do y'all do with all of those $3,500 Brahman steers?

What is with the idea of not going out in the rain? Does this mean I get to stay inside until next June? This time of the year it is not even cold rain.
Dave

I don't know if you were talking to me but if I am not mistaken, I think I said I'm not trying to tell you how to run your operation. Just asking questions b/c I'm fairly new to the cattle business.

Josh

Latest posts