How do Ya'll do it

Help Support CattleToday:

Larry,

I have your dad's problems with cold hands. Go to the sports department at WM and get what they call "hot hands". They are a little packet that turns warm when exposed to air. I use them in mittens and can get along perfectly in the cold.

larryshoat":2q4xshhv said:
I think the older I get the worse I take the heat. I think it's just a difference in people, my wife is cold almost year round. I don't complain much untill it gets below zero. As long as I can move around a little I don't get cold. My dad is 73 and his hands get cold, I'll trade gloves with him every few minutes in the bitter cold and I can feel how cold his gloves are in the fingers. Everybody is wound just a little different.

Larry

It's really windy here today. I had to do a few things outside this morning, dragged my work to the south side of the house to block the cold wind. I layer on clothes, also wear a liner from a hard hat on the head to keep the old ears warm. I'm okay working in the heat or cold, but cold and rain together........forget it! No matter what I do, I can never keep my finger tips warm enough.

flannel sheets on the bed!

Keep warm!

It all depends on what you're used to. 7 degrees with wind chill 20 below here right now and was colder than that when I got up. Supposed to be 35 Monday and that's gonna feel real good, but if it were 60 now, that 35 Monday would feel downright nasty. I can understand why someone down south would have trouble with temps in the 30's, just like someone pretty far north would have trouble with temps in the 90's.

The grass is always greener for me when it comes to the weather. If it's 10 I long for 95 and if it's 95 I long for 10. Around here, we can get extreme cold in the winter and extreme heat in the summer, but usually not for long stretches like other parts of the country. For that I am thankful.

I tolerate colder temps much better than August here when its hot,humid,and no breeze to speak of.I get soaked in sweat doing very little.Dressing in layers with a wicking base layer works for me most of the time.If you can keep the wind out and not get overwarm and sweat it works for me.I would probably be useless in Texas in summer.

kinda of sucks here getting down to -25 degrees celcius today and thats without windchill. and just so happens only lodar tractors both are open cab lets just say i am not looking forward to and hour out in the cold.

We're expecting some more of that nice Cannuck weather to be moving down from BC tonite so the gals will be getting another grain ration. Susie will most likely have me let them into the barn until the temps get back up into the 20s'...we pamper them cows anyway.
Every winter the idea of becomming a snow bird looks better and better. Just need some land to park the RV on and we'll be all set to move south.
DMc

Well CB, I hope the nasty weather missed you today, as it did my area. It's 51 degrees and clear blue right now here in Houston, a real nice day although it would be nicer at 70 degrees! Don't want to sound too wimpy to our northern friends, but those rainy, windy days with temps. in the mid 30's like you mentioned are tough on man and beast. I remember being outside in below zero weather in Colorado and just above zero in Calgary and feeling virtually no discomfort while only wearing a Houston-weight business suit. But days along the gulf coast feeding cows, hunting geese in the rice fields, etc. with a drizzle and mid 30's temps. cause me a good bit of discomfort! I'd take a nice dry, real cold day over a wet, cool day anytime.

I was all bundled up and ready to sink a corner post. The backhoe barely started. Got it over there and pulled the old posts. Got out the manual post hole diggers and set to work digging the old holes deeper and cleaning them out. I kept shedding clothes in no time. The harder I dug the warmer it got.

get your insulated on and a good coat , then the neck fleece , then the hood , then the ball cap , then the cows and horses think that little kid from " The Christmas Story" is coming. It was single digits here and I was frigging hot after getting all the gear on.

Suppose I'm a sissy. Slipped down into the upper 40's because of the North wind keeping it coming. Drove me out of the woods and back to the truck. Might call in sick until it gets back to the 70's this week.

I don't think I could function in the negative numbers - but I don't function wel in the +90 plus numbers either. How do you keep everything from freezing, like your water lines and well lines and such?

I have a electric mattress pad on my bed that I LOVE!!!!!!!

i am not a cold climate lover either, ya'll folks that have your house and barn all snowed over untill spring, and still function,... well ya'll are just tough
give me summer any day, id rather work in the heat than the cold.
my daughter went to college with a boy from north dakota, and he decided to stay the summer in southern oklahoma and work, the heat made him sick, he didnt see how we stood it here. daughter went to florida on a business trip last week to florida, she said the weather was beautiful. she saw a girl going to work at the hotel, allwrapped up in a coat with the hood on her head, like it was cold....she got a kick out of that, so i guess we all climitize to our own elements.....im just glad my sissy self is here.. 8)

When I was a sprout we moved from WI to WA. When the family asked dad why we were moving he said "You don;t have to shovel rain"

dun":6duorzu3 said:
When I was a sprout we moved from WI to WA. When the family asked dad why we were moving he said "You don;t have to shovel rain"

We were having a pretty dry winter for a change,thats over. It has started that drizzle crap that won't stop till March.

:devil2: I hate winter---- we have been having these cold snaps of artic air ( temps around 0
with wind chills to -20). Have had two calves born, they did pick good days when the temp was above freezing. I also use the hot hands in my gloves( use 2 pair and put the hot hands
pack inbetween) Ever since the menapause thing, the cold really does not seem to chill me
like in the younger days. However, the getting up at 4:30am and dragging my a-- :oops:
outside to feed before heading off to my town job , is no picnic in this cold! :frowns:
I want summer, I am ready for the cattle shows, trail riding my horses, mowing grass, opening
the windows. :D

Still raining here and 37 I hate this crap there is only so much shop work you can do.
It is not cheap either as the Reddy Heater is pretty fond of diesel.
I guess its better than in Bolivar Mo. just got off the phone with him and it was 11 degs.

It was 17 and clear here this morning. I find that a lot more comfortable than our normal 30's and rain. That just above freezing and rain is tough on man and beast. Good rain gear and wool clothes are the only solutions I know of. Dress warm and dry, work steady, and just don't think about it. But I am just the opposite, 100 degrees and I am laying in the shade dieing.

Temp has more then tripled so far, already 24, up from 7. According to the weathr liars this is warmer then it will be tomorrow. HOT ZIGGIES, I can hardly wait.

I find the cold weather invigorating and refreshing, especially when I'm dragging the 100ft hose out to the frozen cow tank and other calf waterers, and especially when I have to take the sledgehammer and break up the ponds, it is just so much fun, I just love it. The tingly feeling my fingers get when my gloves get wet, and frozen, the way my eyeglasses fog up constantly when I go in and out, I mean really how much more fun can this cold weather be?

GMN ;-)

Latest posts