How do I cope with Butchering..???

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie":pup426bk said:
a few weeks later, his pelt will look AWESOME on our living room floor

Are you going to butcher him and tan his hide yourselves?
Because when I take a steer to the butcher, I don't get his hide back.

Abbatoirs here, you can ask for your hides back. You have to pay a few bucks per hide. Then you can either tan it yourself or send it off to a tanning place. Again costs.

;-) Our first bull calf was named Chuck. Short for chuck steak, chuck roast, well, you get the idea. We have a freezer full of "Chuck" and yes, we could feed him cubes through the fence, he would come to the fence when you called his name, but when he went to butcher, I had two weeks before he came home and now I don't have any problem eating the best corn fed beef around. :D
Some folks just get too attached. Don't be one of them, it is a cow and it will be beef in the freezer. Guess i just like t-bones too much.

shorty":22xmbnlg said:
I don't have a problem butchering a steer or heifer when they are ready to butcher I have been involved with that most of my life , I will admit that it really bothers me when a calf dies at a young age, I usually blame myself even though I tried and I know there wasn't anything else I could do.
boatiebid]
It hurts me also ,I have one right now that is dieing of worms, I took her to the vet after i bought her from the sale, don't know what else to do anyone know what to do, she has lived a week now she eats a little grain now and then, anyone know what ealse to do?

Has anyone Skinned a dead cow before on their own? My dad said he and my grandpa use to do that to make a few bucks when they lost one for wahtever reason. He said it was really tough and they'd put the truck or tractor in granny. Not too sure how they did it. Been a question on my mind.

CattleHand":3glwasli said:
Has anyone Skinned a dead cow before on their own? My dad said he and my grandpa use to do that to make a few bucks when they lost one for wahtever reason. He said it was really tough and they'd put the truck or tractor in granny. Not too sure how they did it. Been a question on my mind.
Not all that different from skinning a moose but easier then a horse.

CattleHand":3svii33c said:

Yes I have, thats the way i paid my way through school. I was the killman at the meat lab, I would stun them, hang them up, bleed them out, then skin and removed the head and tounge.

boatiebid":38uh618e said:
shorty":38uh618e said:
I don't have a problem butchering a steer or heifer when they are ready to butcher I have been involved with that most of my life , I will admit that it really bothers me when a calf dies at a young age, I usually blame myself even though I tried and I know there wasn't anything else I could do.
boatiebid]
It hurts me also ,I have one right now that is dieing of worms, I took her to the vet after i bought her from the sale, don't know what else to do anyone know what to do, she has lived a week now she eats a little grain now and then, anyone know what ealse to do?

Uh, give her ivermec???????? :roll:

We used to raise bottle calves when I was a kid. It was mine and my brother's responsibility to feed them after school. Daddy warned us not to get attached to them but he needn't worry. After being butted and kicked and knocked around by them, it was a PLEASURE to eat them! 8) We even called them by name at the supper table ie: "Momma, please pass Peanut down this way", or "Could I have some more Bullet, Momma?" Never bothered us, but we were warned to ask for the roast instead of calling the meat by name when company came calling!
My favorite all-time Rat Terrier, Pepper, had a stroke and I had to put her down. After that, ending an animals life became less troublesome to me.
Also, after my brother and I were hemmed in next to the chicken house by my grandmother's Rhode Island Red cockerels, I must admit that I looked forward to seeing them die! We told her to make sure we were there when Uncle Jack lopped their heads off. They were good on the dinner plate, even though a few weeks before they were cute little yellow fuzz balls in a box next to the heater in the living room.
And, lastly, there is no love lost between cow and man. I have had gentle, halter broke, retired show cows that would just as soon kill you as to look at you after they calved. Cattle can never be fully trusted, so forget this idea that they love you and there is some kind of bond there. There isn't.

J. T.":jxddgla1 said:
Never bothered us, but we were warned to ask for the roast instead of calling the meat by name when company came calling!

This will probably be seen as completely inappropriate but, :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Yes, I can see where calling dinner by name in front of company could be a bit of a problem! :lol2: :lol2: J.T., that was absolutely priceless! Thank you for sharing. :lol2: :lol2:

Keren":18gnbd47 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":18gnbd47 said:
DUH IVOMEC THE WORMY COW AND SHE WONT DIE. LMFAO

Actually, if you drench a really really wormy animal you can kill it. Something to do with the toxic effect of a huge amount of worms dying.
Are you maybe thinking of cattle grubs. Wrong time of the year here for that. They are most likely only laying the eggs now they have not started the journey up yet. We bought some cattle one year late late summer early fall the owner thought he would do me a favor and worm them for me when he loaded them. Ended up having a load of half paralized calves. He felt just terrible. Thank god for cargo insurance.

Little kids and the death of an animal. I have some little cousins that are girls that are just absolutely the biggest girls you have met (its nice to visit them because they know how to cook cookies and fudge and I am always a hungry guy :lol2: ). But ive offered to take them out to see calves and such and I will never forget the look they gave me and jsut said "why would we want to see those smelly calves". THen one day we found a snapping turtle and were going to shoot it and I was just dumb struck when they all came out and were excited to see it get shot.

My girls are different in this.

My oldest was clam digging in Alaska, and wanted to see what the inside looked like (we were doing catch and release cause we didn't feel like cleaning them). My dad told her that if we opened the shell, the clam will die. She said "How will I know whats in there if you don't open it? Its ok if one dies."

My youngest ~ she would have run down the beach kicking over others' buckets yelling "Run for your lives clams!!" if she had heard such a thing.

angus9259":1xfrp8z4 said:
never seen a bovine have any human attachment. they don't love you, they love that bucket of corn you're carrying.

So not true, I have my first cow still, she is 17 yrs old. Thought of selling her once, and she knew and actually had a tear or 2 come out of her eyes, that was the end of that, ole girl is staying put. They may not feel emotions like some people do, but I do think they know what is going on around them, and maybe even recognize certain people. I know she knows who I am. Heck I've known her longer than I have known some people, she has gray hair and all.

GMN

For me, coping is no problem. The assurance that Penelope is going to be a lot easier to cook than to feed is how I cope with it. Its the anticipation that I need help with. ;-) :p

IMG_2273.jpg

Latest posts