How did/would you start from scratch?

Help Support CattleToday:

A buddy and I started with 500lb heifers then later added a few more ready to breed heifers. I would not go the heifer route knowing what I know now. If a guy could afford it the 3n1's would be a great start as you could offset the cost of a bull for another cycle. If a guy was wanting more cows for the same money then older heavy bred cows.

KNERSIE":2qms6bb2 said:
bigbull338":2qms6bb2 said:
both times i started reg herds i went with bred heifers or cows an went from there.im not scared to buy heifers but i prefer buying 3 to 4yr old cows.

I don't want an argument Scott, but who sells GOOD 3 to 4 year old cows?
I don't know about you but where i am there are alot of good young cows beeing sold for lack of water and pasture and i think this is the case alot of other areas so to me it is a great time to be looking to buy good cows.and yes starting with the finest 3 in1s you can find woould be great and i know i may be on my own on this but i have had alot of heifers and have never had any big problems and would not be scared of them at all.

denvermartinfarms":2d17iiab said:
KNERSIE":2d17iiab said:
bigbull338":2d17iiab said:
both times i started reg herds i went with bred heifers or cows an went from there.im not scared to buy heifers but i prefer buying 3 to 4yr old cows.

I don't know about you but where i am there are alot of good young cows beeing sold for lack of water and pasture and i think this is the case alot of other areas so to me it is a great time to be looking to buy good cows.and yes starting with the finest 3 in1s you can find woould be great and i know i may be on my own on this but i have had alot of heifers and have never had any big problems and would not be scared of them at all.
True words right there. I'm considering getting rid of a heifer only because the grass has not recovered from our drought. Already sold down to half of what we had before on the homestead. Just because cows are being sold doesn't mean they're bad cows. not the last few years

KNERSIE":1klx8fod said:
bigbull338":1klx8fod said:

You could buy them by the truck load here last year and a lot did and they went north due to drought.
Seen a bunch come out of Mo. this year due to drought.

Caustic Burno":5dsamzr9 said:
KNERSIE":5dsamzr9 said:
bigbull338":5dsamzr9 said:

You could buy them by the truck load here last year and a lot did and they went north due to drought.
Seen a bunch come out of Mo. this year due to drought.
Yes and it makes a huge difference how long they were out of grass before they were hauled.

i know a guy that bought 80 or 90 thin bred an open cows early this year.an he grazed an hayed them till this month an hauled them to the sale this week.he turned the bulls out to breed the cows that would breed.an those that dont will be sold as packers.either way he will make money.he figures he will make $300 to $400 a hd profit.

Breed sales are a great place to get good quality females of any age! We have bought several that way, and always been happy. A great place out here is our breed association sale. Several breeders get together with cattle and make a sale. That way you get a variety of cattle, for various locations, at different price ranges. We send our bottom end to the sale barn, and save our best bred heifers and cows to the breed association sales!

Started leasing pasture and buying stockers with a credit card advance. :shock: Retained shiny calm heifers and still have about 75% of them in the herd. Not perfect cows but they work in my system.
Then purchased bred heifers. Have less than half of them left and would not do this again. Heifers can be dumb and hard cull'in gets expensive.
Then purchased aged bred red, rwf, herf, cows. The calve on grass ones from dispersals cost the least and are money makers. I am now using one round of AI on them and then holding back some of the biggest wf heifers. These cows have now had a couple calves and I am going to have to start culling them... :(

Latest posts