how can you tell a cow is going to have her calf

Help Support CattleToday:

austin4605

Reaction score
i am new to to the cow and calve thing i have three pregnant and they are wupposed to calve this month but i don't knoww what to look for and what to do when they do have there calves please some one help

I had expected someone else to jump in here.
The more or less usual signs are the tail head becomes very prominent as the muscles on either side of it relax, the vulva becomes very loose and floppy, she may or may not bag up and frequently she will get a look almost as if she's calved because the bulg in her right side appears to go away. The bug going away is the calf rotating into position for delivery. There will be a discharge of a runny looking fluid from her vagina. Shortly before calving she will usually remove herself from the rest of th herd. She may appear very restless, pacing, laying down and getting up. Her tail may or maynot be carried in such a way that it looks like a pump handle. If she appears to be working at it for over an hour and nothing happens, check inside and make sure everything is ok. From the time the water bag appears until the calf is on the ground should be no more then an hour or so. Once the bag appears, if no there doesn;t appear to be progress at a fairly regular interval, every 15 minutes or so, glove up and check to see if something is wrong. The surest sign that calving is eminent is when the feet of the calf appear.
There are 2 times during late gestation when you may see fluid. The first is when the cervical plug is passed. This fluid is sticky and tends to hang on and stick to whatever it touches. The second is more watery, not sticky and is the lubricant fordelivery.
If you can get the boolean search to work on this site or even google you can find tons of information on when and how to assist

dun

thanks you have been my only reply but i did look on google and it told me everything i needed to know thanks for the help.

Dun,
i have witnessed cows with gelatinous secretion as much as 2 months prior to calving. what do you suppose this is. and how does it get out with a cervical plug still in there?

Beefy":1vq4pq0y said:
Dun,
i have witnessed cows with gelatinous secretion as much as 2 months prior to calving. what do you suppose this is. and how does it get out with a cervical plug still in there?
I've seen it too on occasion. I have no ideas what it is other then just a secretion that sometimes happens. We have a cow right now that's got the stuff but it's a very small amount compared to either the cervical plug or the calving lubricant.

dun

Latest posts