How can a person handle this heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":1huqkr5z said:
I work in an A/C office now and they keep it too cold in here. It is hard to get acclimated.

40 years ago I took 3 pair of socks to work with me. By 9:00 I already had prune toes and boots swashing with sweat. At break time you changed socks and dried your boots as best you could. At lunch we went skinny dipping. There were even some ladies who dipped with us until some older Dixie men started showing up and harassing them. They quit dipping with us.

I can't stand the house much below 78 in the summer. As you said it's too cold to come out of the heat into.
I am currently sitting in the shade to get cool enough to go inside.

There's a page or two in Brandon Webb's book, The Red Circle, about why he picked Southern Indiana for the Special Warfare Sniper School. I'll save you the trouble of reading the entire book. It's miserable here 11-1/2 months of the year. That's why he picked it. I think he called it the most miserable place in the world, and that's saying something, given his resume.

Caustic Burno":bm6yzz51 said:
backhoeboogie":bm6yzz51 said:
I work in an A/C office now and they keep it too cold in here. It is hard to get acclimated.

40 years ago I took 3 pair of socks to work with me. By 9:00 I already had prune toes and boots swashing with sweat. At break time you changed socks and dried your boots as best you could. At lunch we went skinny dipping. There were even some ladies who dipped with us until some older Dixie men started showing up and harassing them. They quit dipping with us.

I can't stand the house much below 78 in the summer. As you said it's too cold to come out of the heat into.
I use to burn folks up at work not turning on the ac till I had to..coming out of a cool office to the farm,I'd melt like a snow ball...didn't run the a/c coming home either.. I knew what was ahead of me...suppose to be near 110 heat index the next few days...do feel for my cows, thank "God" for a creek and a lot of shade............and some Brahman influence.. :nod:

Farm Fence Solutions":1vut9b4z said:
There's a page or two in Brandon Webb's book, The Red Circle, about why he picked Southern Indiana for the Special Warfare Sniper School. I'll save you the trouble of reading the entire book. It's miserable here 11-1/2 months of the year. That's why he picked it. I think he called it the most miserable place in the world, and that's saying something, given his resume.
There always south Mississippi to go to,if it ain't enough .. :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":fye01r9d said:
Farm Fence Solutions":fye01r9d said:

I always kinda liked South Mississippi in the winter.

Farm Fence Solutions":22ylqjfk said:
ALACOWMAN":22ylqjfk said:
Farm Fence Solutions":22ylqjfk said:

Haven't been there but think I might like it there too.

Lived there once as a kid...summers were miserable... still love the place. and like going back.. But I'm happy here..they called me a Alabama redneck there ...and I thought I brought a little class to the place :lol2:

Ky hills":2kt27rma said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2kt27rma said:
ALACOWMAN":2kt27rma said:

I work in south Mississippi. It was mid 90s with 90% humidity earlier today. Like working in a sauna.

mdt192":3gnbsi5v said:
Ky hills":3gnbsi5v said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3gnbsi5v said:

I work in south Mississippi. It was mid 90s with 90% humidity earlier today. Like working in a sauna.

We have six months of that, chased closely by freeze your nutz off cold with high humidity. Only one week of comfortable in the spring, and one in the fall. I'd like to know what part of the world sees the biggest swing in tempratures through the year?

Caustic Burno":2eb6eibg said:
backhoeboogie":2eb6eibg said:

I'm with you CB. I compromised with my wife at 73 degrees but I freeze at night during the summer. In winter time in comfortable inside at 65. Hard to come in after being in the heat all day to a sold house. If I let her have her way she would have it on 68 in the summer.

Farm Fence Solutions":1ull0d74 said:
mdt192":1ull0d74 said:
Ky hills":1ull0d74 said:

We have six months of that, chased closely by freeze your nutz off cold with high humidity. Only one week of comfortable in the spring, and one in the fall. I'd like to know what part of the world sees the biggest swing in tempratures through the year?

The greatest recorded temperature ranges in the world are around the Siberian `cold pole' in the east of Russia. Temperatures in Verkhoyansk have ranged from 188F to -98F

The biggest range in the USA is supposed to be Fairbanks Alaska with highs in the 90s and lows of -60F

ALACOWMAN":1y4hja08 said:
Caustic Burno":1y4hja08 said:
backhoeboogie":1y4hja08 said:

I use to burn folks up at work not turning on the ac till I had to..coming out of a cool office to the farm,I'd melt like a snow ball...didn't run the a/c coming home either.. I knew what was ahead of me...suppose to be near 110 heat index the next few days...do feel for my cows, thank "God" for a creek and a lot of shade............and some Brahman influence.. :nod:

When it gets really hot triple digits.
Mine will be laying on the sand bars in creek, it's like A/C from spring fed water and shade.

Farm Fence Solutions":3bptk0gk said:
ALACOWMAN":3bptk0gk said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3bptk0gk said:

Mississippi and Louisiana get cold in the winter. Not continuous but there are miserably cold days.
In summers it takes about two weeks to get acclimated. If you are working in the heat just go ahead and do what you need to do. Don't be changing clothes all the time. Just get used to sweating and being wet.
Like having dirty work to do and trying to stay clean. Just go ahead and get dirty and get the work done. Clean up later.

Ryder":3g71w6us said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3g71w6us said:
ALACOWMAN":3g71w6us said:

Mississippi and Louisiana get cold in the winter. Not continuous but there are miserably cold days.
In summers it takes about two weeks to get acclimated. If you are working in the heat just go ahead and do what you need to do. Don't be changing clothes all the time. Just get used to sweating and being wet.
Like having dirty work to do and trying to stay clean. Just go ahead and get dirty and get the work done. Clean up later.
Yep, I didn't really understand folks saying they change clothes during the day. HeII I would go thru 10 pair of jean shorts if I changed every time I sweated . I will just take my shirt off and it won't get wet.

On a different note I heard a old cowboy say,when his jeans got wet..working the stockyards in the winters..they we're glad when the jeans finally froze,just to warm up..

M-5":1pzwog2y said:
Ryder":1pzwog2y said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1pzwog2y said:
Yep, I didn't really understand folks saying they change clothes during the day. HeII I would go thru 10 pair of jean shorts if I changed every time I sweated . I will just take my shirt off and it won't get wet.
The only thing worse than grinding fiberglass and sweating is doing it without a shirt on.

Ryder":27s877u8 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":27s877u8 said:
ALACOWMAN":27s877u8 said:

Ryder, some folks just can't get acclimated to the idea of becoming acclimated.

Latest posts