How big is to big?

Help Support CattleToday:

Doc - isn't that what I said?
Bottom line is BOTTOM LINE!
Doesn't make any difference what you do or don't put into them, it's what you NET at the end
It doesn't make any difference what size they are, it's a matter of what works for your operation/location that makes profit $$$$ at the end of the line.
Like I said, "we will all agree to disagree".

JHH":23xelfvz said:
Keren you definatly have some nice cattle. even though they are big. I just cant make that big a cow work here. I havent seen but a hand full that would. I still havent changed my mind :) 6 is big enough for me here.

Oh, I'm not trying to change your mind :) and its definitely a country difference, I get the feel US cattle on the whole are smaller than Aus cattle.

My point is that, people are saying, they choose smaller cows.

But I'm saying, dont look at the frame score, look at the DOING ABILITY of the cow. There are plenty of hard keeping small cows, and some easy doing, easy keeping large cows.

I can't remember where, but I just read an article that was able to justify running larger cattle where the pasture lease is paid by AUMs (animal unit months) instead of a flat acreage fee, assuming both sizes of cows can wean 50% of their body weight.

That is the kind of lease deal I have with one of my leasors. And it probably means I should be running all my mature cattle there - and my heifers on the other places - to get the most bang for my buck.

George

Latest posts