How bad is Bovatec for dogs?

Help Support CattleToday:

novaman

Reaction score
I ordered a ton of milk replacer and only after I had it all stacked in the barn did I realize it now contains Bovatec (they banned milk replacer have neo-tet anymore). I think it wouldn't be a bad deal to help the calves gain a bit better but I am concerned about my dog. She likes to clean up any extras when I am feeding the calves. I heard that Bovatec is really bad for a dog. Anybody know how bad? I mean will it kill her with just a little dose or just make her sick? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Like most things it depends on "how much' is in the milk replacer and how much of the diluted product the dog consumed. Licking up spilled amounts etc should be harmless. Only real warning for bovatec is still for equines. I used a new milk replacer with bovatec with a calf a while back with great results....was not evewn an ALL milk, milk replacer and calf did great and never scoured once. It was manufactured by NutraBlend out of Missouri.

novaman":1x85s28q said:
45 grams per ton is the inclusion rate

That would barely be 1 gram per 50 lb. bag. If I understood the link posted by dun he's have to drink the milk created by 1/4 bag of the stuff to be toxic.

no worries at all.

That's according to a vet I don't rate high, and concerning rumensin not bovatec (I've never used rumensin, he was trying to convince me to). Bovatec though, is in all the calf meal I get, as a preventative for coccidiocis. My dog gets in trouble every year for thinking he can run the calves off their feeder and help himself to the meal.

It's never done him any harm beyond finding himself on the end of a chain for disobedience. He cleans up the spilled pellets, just isn't allowed to chase the calves off their feed.
I eat it too though the bag says not to - just about a handful or so most days during the busy calving season. Doesn't do me any harm either.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll try to keep her out of the milk but at least I can breath easy if she does get a little bit. I was just worried that she would get into it and be dead.

Regolith, I would look into using Rumensin if you have a system where you can add it into your feed mix. I started using it at a low rate (200-225mg per head per day) and I saw both my butterfat and protein tests jump between .10 and .15%. I was leary that it was due to the fact I had a lot of later lactation cows when I started feeding it but I am getting some fresh cows in and the component % hasn't wavered yet.

novaman":2cdfeyfu said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll try to keep her out of the milk but at least I can breath easy if she does get a little bit. I was just worried that she would get into it and be dead.

Regolith, I would look into using Rumensin if you have a system where you can add it into your feed mix. I started using it at a low rate (200-225mg per head per day) and I saw both my butterfat and protein tests jump between .10 and .15%. I was leary that it was due to the fact I had a lot of later lactation cows when I started feeding it but I am getting some fresh cows in and the component % hasn't wavered yet.

That is just the opposite of the more typical response to Rumensin of increased production but lowered components.

We don't tend to have feed systems that minerals &c can be easily added to in this country, my vet wanted me to put it in the water supply as a bloat prevention, which some farmers do. Or if I'm drenching minerals, I could have added it - I'd called him because of problems with the mix becoming too thick to drench when I started adding the bloat oil.

I'm a bit suspicious about using it as bloat prevention though this vet assured me that farmers who use it don't see bloat. I just don't like to take risks, and hearsay like that might be a little like the neighbour last year who told me that through the spring he had found four cows cast and was surprised when I told him milk fever causes that, he needs to do something about the minerals. Sometimes not seeing a problem only means the observer doesn't know what he's looking at. (I'm also mindful that the type of farmer who would use Rumensin isn't likely to be 'all-grass' - hence will have lower bloat risk anyway)
I might have a look at what information is available on Rumensin - I've never really investigated it but know of it as an improver of feed conversion efficiency and since I've got a way to feed molasses to the herd I think that's one way to really up the conversion efficiency in an otherwise all-grass diet. The adverts say rumensin is a real cheap way to get more production.

I'm not a fan of Rumensin or Bovatec on basic grass pastures.
The plane of nutrition has to be high enough to support the extra muscle growth and still have enough left over to support some fat cell development in the muscles.

Both do help to prevent bloat, and coccidiosis - if I had those problems I would be more likely to use it than just to get some improved gain on pasture.

TexasBred":yheiikzf said:
That is just the opposite of the more typical response to Rumensin of increased production but lowered components.
Kinda what I figured too. I'm going to see what happens with the components through spring and summer to see if I can figure out what's going on.

Rego both Rumensin and Bovatec are hard to feed unless you feeding a TMR or buying a mineral with these additives already included. Gotta get a good mix on it. Bovatec is not approved for feeding to mature cattle however, Rumensin has been approved to be fed to dairy cattle in a TMR. You and Nova both dairy so the Rumensin would work well for both of you. Bovatec is more often used in more typical cow/calf operations (horses often present in the area) as Rumensin can be more toxic at much lower doses. Rumensin is more the preferred product for feedlots. Bovatec is more palatable and "forgiving" whereas Rumensin can actually be used to limit intake somewhat until animals get aclimated to it being in the ration. Haven't priced either in a while but both typically will at $8-10 to the cost of a ton of feed but the increased milk production or weight gain in beef calves usually make it worth the extra cost.

Jabo would be hard to feed it in a grazing operation without a supplement containing the additives, but research has shown that both work well in grass operations especially during the times when the pasture feeding value along with an increase in the animal's requirements creates a nutrient gap.... typical daily gains can be increased from 7% to as much as 15% when using either Bovatec or Rumensin.

Latest posts