How about hickory nuts?

Help Support CattleToday:

One thing to remember about hickory nuts, acorns and stuff like that is they are like grain. If the animals are in the pastures when that start falling everything is OK. If they are on the ground when turned into a new pasture you can have problems. only real problems we have had is if grass is in short supply and there are a lot of nuts you can get some compacted animals.

muleskinner":1yn425vr said:
One thing to remember about hickory nuts, acorns and stuff like that is they are like grain. If the animals are in the pastures when that start falling everything is OK. If they are on the ground when turned into a new pasture you can have problems. only real problems we have had is if grass is in short supply and there are a lot of nuts you can get some compacted animals.

I agree. If pasture is poor they will root acorns like hogs. I've lost them to acorns over the years. Last year it was like walking on marbles they were so thick. Maybe the hunters don't like it, but I'm glad they are in short supply this year.
Actually, for the hunters, the deer will be moving more with less mast in the hardwoods.

fitz

Latest posts