Hours worked a week

Help Support CattleToday:

born2run

Reaction score
Got a call from a gal this morning who is interested in hiring me p/t to feed calves for them. They custom raise dairy calves, and it's an area that I have little experience with. Currently am working about 45-48 hours a week at a 400 cow dairy, and I figure with the calves it'd raise me to about 70 a week. Curious how many hours the rest of ya'll have pulled?

I worked three jobs when I was a LOT younger! I would say work as much as you can without killing yourself while you're young. It won't be an option when you're older!

70 hours a week? That's only 10 hours a day. If you sleep 4-5 hours a night you've got time for another full time job.

dun

i never really kept up with the hrs i worked.running a dairy you work till you give out or cant see.an bottling calves for a calf raiser id say 70hrs is a slow week.the hours you work depends alot on your pay.

70 or 80 hrs a week seems about right for an able body person.
Yep any more you get tired.

MD

what with my job and then the housework and looking after the family, I would say I would work on average about, 84 or so hours a week. :( but remember 'all work and no play makes Joe a dull boy' you need to take some time out to have for yourself. ;-)

I work 7 days a week average about 11 - 12 hours a day but I truly enjoy a lot of what I do so I'm not really sure this can be considered work.

during the summer it wasn't uncommon at all to be pullin 50-60 hour weeks in 5 days and then go back home and put another 20-24 hours in over the weekend.

"I try not to count, it'll make me realize that I'm working for less than minimum wage."

:)

Me and my crew do about 35-maybe 40hrs a week.Then I got another 15hr monday-friday commute back and forth for that.Then,add in the time here at the farm saturday,sunday, and evenings I see why my son tells me I have no life..lol

I got pay check stubs for 100+ hrs from the mini oil boom in the 80's. Lived in a truck for several years in the early 90's.
1 hour a day just drawing lines in comic books so the Dept Of Terrors would be satisfied if they were inclined to look. Only handed them the wrong one once. You don't make that mistake twice.

I pull out about 6:15 in the morning regularly. When its my week for duty engineer I leave at 5:15. I go straight to work. I get off at 4:30 (9 hour day) and drive to the farm. I leave the farm at dark and come home, usually. Some times it is well after dark.

Weekends are generally 12 to 13 hour days either quarrying stone or else working at the farm.

I think my highest was over the summer, at a show I went to with the ranch I worked for. Put in about 19 hr days for 6 days, so about 114 hrs in a week. 3am came way too early after the first couple days. Other than that, Ive always been in school so couldnt get more than a few hours a day of work in.

I work 56 hours a week at our Feed Store, and when I'm not there, I'm working out here during just about every minute of day light. I thank the good Lord I'm in great shape and able bodied to do it.One thing bout' owning Farms, is they generally come with a lot of job security. ;-)

Crowderfarms":3dikvjp2 said:
I thank the good Lord I'm in great shape and able bodied to do it. ;-)

The good lord put you onto that farm so that you would live a long and good life! 8)

I guess alot depends on how bad you need the extra money also. I work 7 days a week, 365 days a year on the dairy farm, I don't keep track of hours, just work till the work is done for the day, and start over the next day.

GMN

Physical work varies. Some weeks I work 70 hours and then some weeks I get by with 20 hours. Depends on how many people miss work or how many jobs I over book.

Mentally it is 24hours 365 days a week. One of the biggest downsides I have found about working for your self is that you are always working in your mind. I noticed how bad this was when I took kids to Disney World and while riding rides I kept finding myself wondering if my guys showed up to work and rather I should call and check on them or what work I needed to be doing when I got home. Lot different than when you work for someone else.

On the farm, try to squeeze in every day light hour I can spare between being a day sleeper and having 3 kids playing sports all at the same time.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! Keep them coming!

My sun rises and sets on my horses, but with winter approaching my riding time is dwindling. I work nights, which leaves my days and, for sure afternoons, free. I figure I may as well generate some extra income instead of sitting around. The hours at the dairy are non-stop, on your feet work. But I'm in excellent physical shape and have no problem handling it. Not sure how the calves are fed...I believe you drive around with a golf cart. No doubt in my mind that I can handle it. :)

Latest posts