Hours worked a week

Help Support CattleToday:

I used to go to Alaska and work in the Salmon Freezer plants. Mandatory schedule was 17 hours a day 7 days a week. No days off. If you didnt show someone else was always waiting for your job.

Most I ever pulled in one week was:

Mon 17
Tues 17
Wed 19
Thurs 19
Fri 17
Sat 20
Sun 19

It was crazy, but a great experience.

I have worked long hours 7 days a week all my life. I know if you enjoy what you are doing it probably won't hurt you. But there is a big world out there we should try to enjoy. I know farmers who work less time and never on Sunday and always seemed to get more accomplished. I remember when I was young I would start a job, work late into the night, thinking I had to get it done. Seemed like someone would get tired or because of darkness, a mistake would be made and every we gained that day would be lost. I always bragged about the hours I put in. Now I think I was a fool.

I've had numerous relatives and older friends tell me to not work so hard. Usually the one's that have had knee and hip replacements,arthritis, and other ailments and have blamed them on over-working themselves. They always say you've got your entire life to improve a Farm or Ranch. Guess "Rome" was not built in a day as they say...My problem is Hop Scotching between about 2-3 projects going on at once.

You make a valid point about enjoying the work you do. As hard as it is for people to comprehend, I love milking cows in a highly modern setting. The only part of the job I don't care for is powerwashing, but even that is ok if I have a good, strong acid cleaner. :) I just enjoy being around cattle, and the calves are something I haven't had experience with in years. Not sure how many hours they consider p/t. I'm interviewed in the morning, so we'll see. :)

rkm":e76mzla2 said:
I have worked long hours 7 days a week all my life. I know if you enjoy what you are doing it probably won't hurt you. But there is a big world out there we should try to enjoy. I know farmers who work less time and never on Sunday and always seemed to get more accomplished. I remember when I was young I would start a job, work late into the night, thinking I had to get it done. Seemed like someone would get tired or because of darkness, a mistake would be made and every we gained that day would be lost. I always bragged about the hours I put in. Now I think I was a fool.

I wouldn't beat myself up.
Your situation sounds similar to me. Lots of hours. If I could go back, I'd likely do it the same way. I do enjoy the work, and it's a job where you can easily see your results at the end of the day.
Still, I did go to a baseball game in the middle of the week last week. I quit doing some things that were costing me time and money and aggravation. My body is telling me to do this, and I wish I'd gotten the message sooner. They say no tombstone ever read "I wish I'd spent more time at work".

Got the job, and start tomorrow. I work Tuesday-Friday, 1:00 PM to 4 PM. They're excited about having me, and I'm thrilled about working there. :)

I had kin folk that worked on the farm all their lives and I had others that worked at the office and watched TV after dinner. The ones on the farm mostly all outlived their city cousins.

born2run":1zz72g13 said:
Got the job, and start tomorrow. I work Tuesday-Friday, 1:00 PM to 4 PM. They're excited about having me, and I'm thrilled about working there. :)

well done...congratulations, hope you enjoy it when you get there. ;-)

john250":slxtecuh said:
rkm":slxtecuh said:

I wouldn't beat myself up.
Your situation sounds similar to me. Lots of hours. If I could go back, I'd likely do it the same way. I do enjoy the work, and it's a job where you can easily see your results at the end of the day.
Still, I did go to a baseball game in the middle of the week last week. I quit doing some things that were costing me time and money and aggravation. My body is telling me to do this, and I wish I'd gotten the message sooner. They say no tombstone ever read "I wish I'd spent more time at work".

EXCELLENT posts, both of you!!! Wish the hubby would read this and take it to heart!! 7 days a week for months and months on end can sure take it's toll....especially, when I work outside the ranch and the boys are growing up SO FAST!! Can't remember the last time he had a day off :( :( sure starting to wear on this old ranchwife! :( :( :(

born2run":ngumxom8 said:

Congratulations on getting the job...hope you will enjoy it, let us all know, okay?

Latest posts