Hot Angus Bulls other than Ten X?

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
I think AAR Ten X is probably the hottest Angus Bull.
Who is the second-hottest Angus bull? Or, who will surpass Ten X?
To be considered the bull must NOT be related to Ten X, have a positive CED number, at least a 9 on CEM and positive DOC.
A strong HP would be a plus. Thanks.

So ya wanna play the numbers game?

G A R Prophet reg. 162955688
Bexter x SS Objective
Prophet beats Ten X in ced 13 to 9 yw 138 to 136 doc 32 to 14 HP 10.5 to 8.0 cem 13 to 9 and $G 58 to 52

Sitz Upward reg. 14963730
Onward x Sitz Value
Upward ranked #1 in sire registration in 2013...doesn't get much hotter than that...
very well proven with over 90% acc in most all traits...i'd take him over Ten X...but I could be wrong.
ced 6
yw 132
doc 13
HP 16.7
cem 9
$B 102

Thanks for your help. I was curious to see what bulls people are talking about.
I don't hear much about Upshot now.
I was looking at a lot of bulls with high SC and high HP.
I called about a young bull with really high EPD's for HP and SC, but believe it or not his semen quality isn't good enough at the moment.

All of these sire's milk values would scare me if you're planning to retain any heifers. You may wind up with a bunch of hard-doing cows..

Here is one that might be popular. Jindra Double Vision #16748826. He is a 2010 Genex bull. CED 14, BW -.9, WW +84, Docility +21, HP +12.1, CEM 13, Milk +24, $B $113. An attractive bull, in my opinion, with numbers that appear to be too good to be true. He has a fairly high accuracy on CED for a young bull, but I find it hard to believe a bull that looks as powerful as he appears in his photos can really be calving ease. I will be interested in watching him.

Lazy M":h71jtosk said:
All of these sire's milk values would scare me if you're planning to retain any heifers. You may wind up with a bunch of hard-doing cows..

I agree... If you plan on retaining heifers and want to make some good range type cows , one of the fairly hot bulls the last couple of years is Cole Creek Black Cedar 46P...
http://universalsemensales.com/breeds/a ... -cedar-46p

Pretty moderate in all categories and comes from a herd with a long history of maternal cattle.... They are bred to survive in the bad years and thrive in the good ones... I really like and have had good luck with 46P's sire CH Quantum 6247 bloodline cows- but semen is almost impossible to find...

Katpau":224vl03n said:
Here is one that might be popular. Jindra Double Vision #16748826. He is a 2010 Genex bull. CED 14, BW -.9, WW +84, Docility +21, HP +12.1, CEM 13, Milk +24, $B $113. An attractive bull, in my opinion, with numbers that appear to be too good to be true. He has a fairly high accuracy on CED for a young bull, but I find it hard to believe a bull that looks as powerful as he appears in his photos can really be calving ease. I will be interested in watching him.

I agree I can't believe the CED for a bull of his size....did you look at his frame size? :shock:

Not 'hot', but what we're using on Angus heifers here: Gardens Next Wave HE17; AAA #15714056
http://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.a ... JO4A%3d%3d

Good CED/BW & CEM; WW only around breed average, moderate milk, above average Doc, top 10% of breed for $EN, REA, $W, top 1% marbling. Has most of the tenderness and feed-efficiency gene markers.
May not break records for sale weights, but carcass on the steers should be good, the daughters should make good, economical cows that'll produce calves with above average carcass quality.

TT,
IMO, Milk epd is not a maternal trait - it's a production trait, and has a cost associated with it, in the need for more feed/inputs - and, potentially, poorer breed-back percentages, if those needs aren't met.
AAA has an 'optimal milk module' that can help guide you in assessing milk epd needs, based on the size of your cows, typical feed costs, etc.
http://www.angus.org/Performance/Optima ... kMain.aspx
My biggest issue with it is... with a crossbred beef herd, how do I really KNOW what the milking ability of my herd is? Based on my use of the OMM, I need an Angus sire with Milk between 27 and 31 - or 17 and 22, depending upon what numbers I put in.
I try to pick a bull with Milk below 30, so long as all other criteria I look at are met - but prefer lower Milk(below 25) when I can get it(base cowherd we started with was heavily Simmental-influenced, with some Holstein back behind some of the cow families). It's getting harder to find the 'hot' Angus bulls - or at least the ones I'd consider using - with a milk below 30.

Lucky_P":105xk3ei said:
TT,
IMO, Milk epd is not a maternal trait - it's a production trait, and has a cost associated with it, in the need for more feed/inputs - and, potentially, poorer breed-back percentages, if those needs aren't met.
AAA has an 'optimal milk module' that can help guide you in assessing milk epd needs, based on the size of your cows, typical feed costs, etc.
http://www.angus.org/Performance/Optima ... kMain.aspx
My biggest issue with it is... with a crossbred beef herd, how do I really KNOW what the milking ability of my herd is? Based on my use of the OMM, I need an Angus sire with Milk between 27 and 31 - or 17 and 22, depending upon what numbers I put in.
I try to pick a bull with Milk below 30, so long as all other criteria I look at are met - but prefer lower Milk(below 25) when I can get it(base cowherd we started with was heavily Simmental-influenced, with some Holstein back behind some of the cow families). It's getting harder to find the 'hot' Angus bulls - or at least the ones I'd consider using - with a milk below 30.

Thank you Lucky_P. I was rather fuzzy on how the Milk EPD was to be interpreted.

The milk EPD is not an estimate of the amount of milk the cow produces in gallons, but is a number that calculates the pounds of calf produced by that cow in comparison to other cows. It is a complicated calculation. A high milk number might indicate a cow that milks so heavy she has trouble maintaining herself, but it is not always the case. Maternal instinct and butterfat may also be factors. A high milk EPD does not always mean a hard doing cow. I worried about high milk numbers at one time, but I now only worry about the really low numbers. Unless you live in a desert where the best you can ever expect is 400 pound weaning weights, I think you are cheating yourself out of some growth when you chose a really low milk EPD. Of course if you live in a tough environment I would avoid any bloodline with extreme growth for replacement females.

Cole Creek Cedar Ridge 1V was originally promoted as a bull with moderate milk EPD whose daughters were expected to do well in low input environments. With daughters in production his milk EPD went to +34. I have heard no complaints about hard doing daughters, but they are obviously putting pounds on their calves. That can not be a bad thing.

Double vision CED has dropped from a 14 to a 7 at present now 18 months after this post originated.

The Sydgen Black Diamond calves here sure look the part.. Using more of him this year than last.. The bull himself is thick, good footed, and extremely docile. I walked up to him in the pasture and gave him a scratch..

Latest posts