Horse Slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusLimoX

Reaction score
Just wanting to be sure everyone has had a chance to participate in a poll on the Horse Talk board.

If anyone doesn't think it will affect them, I disagree. I don't even live in the States and it scares the heck outta me!

Visit a few of the horse slaughter web sites before you comment. I think you will find a definate PETA / Sierra Club propaganda slant to them.

When visiting these web sites, just for fun, substitute the word "cattle" wherever you see the word "horse". It will give you an idea of their next step.

AngusLimoX is exactly right on this issue. A lot of it is driven by PETA and other groups. This could and i stress could be a precursor to what these types of groups try to push on the cattle industry.
Regardless of your take on horses, they are still technically livestock. Don't shrug this topic of horse slaughter off as not relating to you.

Livestock producers need to become more politically involved or at least become aware of some of the agendas that animal rights groups have. The issue of horse slaughter really gets to be one of personal property rights. Why should a group be able to twist elected official's arms to determine what you or I do with our livestock.

Horses are livestock not companion animals or pets. If you want to spend $150 to get a horse euthanized and another $125 to $150 to get a hole dug and the horse buried that is OK by me. Just do not expect me to want to spend my money that way.

Disposal is going to be a real problem. A neighbor had a bull dozier come and bury a dead cow and cover her about 3 feet deep. The coyotes have dug down and scattered bones every where. Can you imagine what it will be like if we have to start burying every old unwanted horse?

I apologize for getting long winded, but his is a burr under my saddle.

AngusLimoX":1iezoixy said:
Just wanting to be sure everyone has had a chance to participate in a poll on the Horse Talk board.

If anyone doesn't think it will affect them, I disagree. I don't even live in the States and it scares the heck outta me!

Visit a few of the horse slaughter web sites before you comment. I think you will find a definate PETA / Sierra Club propaganda slant to them.

When visiting these web sites, just for fun, substitute the word "cattle" wherever you see the word "horse". It will give you an idea of their next step.

Yep you are right on ALX!!!

younggun":3btoqvsj said:
BC i beg to differ horses are companion animals, oh and if u dont want the coyotes to dig up the cows burn them thats what we do stab a few holes in em to keep em from bloatin and throw em on a brush pile works...kinda stinks :cowboy:

This is the problem. You consider horses companion animals, while I consider them livestock. At the present time the law also considers them livestock. If horses are considered companion animals, then all the horse breeding and training facilities would loose their agricultural exemption for proerty tax purposes.

It really boils down to a personal proerty issue. I should be able to get salvage value on a horse and nothave to pay to dispose of it.

I trained and showed horses for over 20 years, and I definately see a need for horse slaughter plants, even though I know that opinion is going to go against probably 90% of the "horse" people I know.

I think much of the time people don't realize the ramifications of NOT having a kill plant for animals. They only look at the "poor old Dobbin.. going to be killed" instead of "what the he$$ am I/you going to do with the horse when he looses his purpose for life"? That's the big question.

There are 100's of "sanctuaries" that are making a fortune from people that have worthless horses that they can't stand to see put down or killed. If someone can make $$ on others based on that, I guess more power to them! It will never be me, that's for sure!

Kinda a sorry world when we'll let kids starve, grow up in crack houses, and be beaten and molested, and worry about what someone is doing with a horse with no value. :roll:

TheBullLady":34ze6xk0 said:
There are 100's of "sanctuaries" that are making a fortune from people that have worthless horses that they can't stand to see put down or killed. If someone can make $$ on others based on that, I guess more power to them!

Maybe I need to start one for cows. Besides banking that may be the only surefire way to make big money in the cow business.

dun

TheBullLady" There are 100's of "sanctuaries" that are making a fortune from people that have worthless horses that they can't stand to see put down or killed. If someone can make $$ on others based on that said:
Don't know about the sanctuaries that are making money but a friend on mine runs one and has for years. Her and her husband have carried the majority of the expenses out of their pockets. They do receive some donations but that only covers a small amount of the costs.

Chris

TheBullLady":1mln7rwa said:
I trained and showed horses for over 20 years, and I definately see a need for horse slaughter plants, even though I know that opinion is going to go against probably 90% of the "horse" people I know.

Kinda a sorry world when we'll let kids starve, grow up in crack houses, and be beaten and molested, and worry about what someone is doing with a horse with no value. :roll:

I just have the feeling that most of the PETA crowd wouldn't cross the street to help a human.
A good hot grill and some steaks would help their attitude!

Diehard40":a5g2wdsy said:
This could and i stress could be a precursor to what these types of groups try to push on the cattle industry.

An article I read regarding the push for a ban on horse slaughter contained a quote from the man who started the drive for this law that stated something to the effect of he would not quit until all agriculture was abolished. I don't remember for sure what publication it was in, but I think it was in the Western Livestock Journal.

"Six million Jews died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughter houses."
-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, The Washington Post, November 13, 1983.

PETA are against what they perceive as the exploitation of animals. That means they are against keeping of any livestock for any purpose, against keeping any animal as a pet or companion.

The scary thing is, PETA are not the only bunch of loonies you have to worry about. Some interesting quotes can be found here http://www.animalrights.net/quotes.html

In NSW (a state in Australia), the state government enacted some really bad legislation at the behest of greenies. Basically you can't cut down any tree on your property, without a permit (no matter how much land and trees you have), and any plant that is declared endangered can't be removed.

Green groups (including American ones) pay for "Scientific Reports" that many many plants which are very common and far from endangered need to be listed as endangered. The government gets so much "Scientific evidence" that they list whatever plant the groups have decided to "save".

Its gotten to the point where hundreds of thousands of acres have been lost to woody weeds (like blackberry), and it is illegal to clear the weeds because there are "protected" plants mixed in with it. :mad:

I feel the ban on Horse slaughter is about as ridiculous as if there was a ban on selling scrap metal to a salvage yard.

Just sit back and watch how many people will be charged with animal neglect or abuse when ol' Mr. Ed is spotted being crippled, lame, starved and sway backed, because there is no longer a way to salvage him.Around this area, there's such a depressed Horse re-sale market, it goes on all the time.The ban will give people a "license" for not caring for them, and a possible legal loophole to avoid prosecution.

Too many Horses have been portrayed as celebrities,graceful animals and the average person would IMHO give a donation to any group pushing for the slaughter ban.

People need to understand and realize there is an "end product" to all livestock.

I just posted this opinion page in Everything Goes:

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25647

This is the tip of the iceberg if it passes. Every major horse and cattle breed association and cattleman's association is agaist this bill. Contact your representatives and let them know how you feel. If they disagree, send an association after them.

My rep, John Carter was for this bill last year. I called TSCRA and let them know about Mr. Carter. Mr. Carter is now against this bill. Look at this site to see if your rep needs re-education:

http://capwiz.com/beefusa/issues/alert/ ... 26&type=CO

younggun":2exe5mp6 said:
well i have a horse that is 27 years old no joke he was born in 79' my family has had him since he was 2 years old and he has served us well for 25 years and now be nice live out his days takin it easy no slaugter house :cowboy:

And that's fine if that's what you want to do with your horse, but not everyone has the grass, the land, or the financial means to take care of a horse for 25 years.

younggun":2ix0ojpx said:
well i have a horse that is 27 years old no joke he was born in 79' my family has had him since he was 2 years old and he has served us well for 25 years and now be nice live out his days takin it easy no slaugter house :cowboy:

That is your personal choice and I respect your right to do that with your horse. On the other hand I hope you respect my right to salvage that horse, take the money and apply it toward another if I need one to work on my place. There is no sense in feeding good feed and precious hay to something that is not contributing to the operation. It is not personal, it is business.

Whether horses are slaughtered or not should be the exclusive decision of the owner.

California has banned the slaughter of horses, at least for human consumption, for several years now. It also is illegal there to sell a horse or ship it out of state for the purpose of human consumption. Personally, I feel that what we eat is no one's business but ours.

I doubt that California's ban on export for slaughter would stand up in federal court as it would probably constitute an unconstitutional interference in interstate trade.

'From little acorns mighty oak trees grow'. Unfortunately mighty oaks all too often produce a surfeit of nuts.

What is it with you people that want every animal to be a compainon. I see it every day people want and want and don't take care of. I see alot more sorry horse and dog owners than I do cattle driving down the road. Just start paying attention to a lot of these fine upstanding horse people when your out, see it all the time some horse standing in a little lot freezeing or starving to death. He is a lot better off as dog food.

Caustic Burno":22q0qtv3 said:
What is it with you people that want every animal to be a compainon. I see it every day people want and want and don't take care of. I see alot more sorry horse and dog owners than I do cattle driving down the road. Just start paying attention to a lot of these fine upstanding horse people when your out, see it all the time some horse standing in a little lot freezeing or starving to death. He is a lot better off as dog food.

I see a lot of that up here, too. Even worse are the animals with horrific injuries that are kept because 'they deserve a chance for a better life'.

Latest posts