Horse recomendation

Help Support CattleToday:

Saltydawg

Reaction score
What breed would be best suited for carrying a big guy?

6'4" and 270lbs.

Casual trail riding maybe light duty cow work.

Saltydawg, I'm not sure it has so much to do with the breed as it does with getting a horse that is big enough to handle the job (no disrespect or denigration intended) and suitable for what you want. I know several people that are about the size you mentioned and they all do very well with bigger (probably 16 -17 hands, maybe bigger as I've never measured them and am terrible at judging height) quarter horses. I think a suitably sized Morgan cross would work, as well, as they have bottom, heart, and stamina. I don't know if all Morgans work for cows as well as the one I used to have did, but might be something to check into. I knew one or two that had Thoroughbreds, but I don't know how they would work for cows as they tend to be a bit more temperamental than Quarter Horses or Morgans. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!

K thats kinda what I figured.

When i was younger I weighed about 220lbs and most horses would sweat and tire pretty quickly under me. I weigh about 50lbs more now...and no im not a fatty lol.

Guess I need to just start looking for a big QH or Morgan.

Beefy":2h1vcy7e said:

If the Quarter Horse/Morgan cross that I had was any indication I would have to argue with you on that recommendation, Beefy. She was the darndest horse I've ever seen! Natural cutter, I mean to the point that she would cut cows without a saddle, bridle, or rider! She could not be turned out with the cows, period! She never, ever ran them, but she would cut one out of the bunch and keep it out for hours. All you had to do was point her at the cow you wanted and then hold on, cause that cow was hers! She sure didn't get it from her mother, so I'm thinking it came from her father (Morgan).

i dont understand why you are argueing that recommendation to the original post. whats wrong with a QH? i'm a little lost :???:

Beefy":14iv1j6i said:
i dont understand why you are argueing that recommendation to the original post. whats wrong with a QH? i'm a little lost :???:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Quarter Horse, but a Quarter HorseXMorgan has the potential to be an outstanding trail horse, cow horse, and all around pleasure horse as well. That was the point I was trying to make (and obviously failed at, as well).

plain old quarter horses excel in all those areas too. they are the old standby of the horse world. make great cutters too.

Beefy":1g35nf1c said:
plain old quarter horses excel in all those areas too. they are the old standby of the horse world. make great cutters too.

Yes, they do and yes, they are. But the Quarter Horse breed, regardless of how able it is, is not the only breed out there that can do the job. Other breeds can do the same thing and bring other things to the table as well. All I'm saying is don't be so narrow-sighted that you cut yourself off from the possibilities of the other breeds.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2l9n8gmj said:
In fact it was not a horse for the tame of heart. he was a gelding wasnt temperamental but could and wanted to run all day. Mine kind of had that cow sense to. It was a good reining horse fast, quick and could spin like top quicker than a man could blink. Man I wish I had never sold that horse. I miss it.

Scamper (my mare) could go all day (and I'm talking minimum of 8 hour days with hard work - no trailers), day after day, after day, after day, and not give in or up. She had more stamina and bottom than any horse I've ever seen and she wasn't a big mare - maybe 15 hands. There was not a temperamental bone in her body - even when she was in season - never bucked a day in her life, not even when I was breaking her. The only thing you had to watch out for was, once you pointed her at a cow, you better hold on cause she dumped several people while she was doing her job! She could turn on a dime and hand you back 7 cents.

Saltydawg":d5nsowyh said:
What breed would be best suited for carrying a big guy?

6'4" and 270lbs.

Casual trail riding maybe light duty cow work.

You might consider something with a touch of draft. Something with some bone, just guessing the horse will have to carry 350+ lbs. A lot depends on what kind of rider you are.

Just because big guys are big doesn't mean they need a draft cross horse... I'm 6'4 and 270 also and wouldn't own a draft cross to ride. Might as well sit straddled a piece of plywood and drag it over the ground, you'll get about the same ride.

Lots and lots of 16+ hand. big QH's out there. I'm sorry but it seems that if your a big guy everyone wants to recommend a draft cross.

JMO Alan

Hehe yea I don't wanna look like Mongo in Blazing Saddles riding in on a Ox or something lol.

Working cows from a horse will be a learning experience for me....got lots of time trail riding and goofing off on horses from my younger days.

I can always fall back on the 4 wheeler but I've got the extra space and feed for a couple horses and it just seems every "cowboy" needs a horse hehe.

cattle and Quarter horses are just suited for each other. there some that would argue i know. besides QH's are easier to find than mogans. watching a good cutting horse get down eye to eye with a calf just waiting on there next move or a calf horse, steer horse. he!! its a no brainer :cboy:

To stir the pot:

One of the best "cow" horses I've seen was a 16 hand Arabian. No joke.

Irish draft crosses work real well also. Just depends on what your looking for. QH's will be easy to find, no doubt. I wouldn't recommend a breed, but find the right horse for you. Every breed has it's nuts and it's diamonds. It's safe to say you don't want a shetland or a Percheron, but any large horses of the major breeds would carry you with no problem (QH,TWH, Appaloosa, Arabian,TB, etc.)

Alan-
The Canadians ride a lot of horses with some draft in them and for good reason. If they were miserable to ride I doubt that they would keep doing it. Right now my neighbor that works on a big cow outfit is riding nothing but draft cross, he says they are great to ride. He has never mentioned the ride even coming close to resembling a ride on a peice of plywood. But then maybe thats the difference between going out and doing a job and riding in the showring. ;-)

350# is a lot of weight, especially if you have an inexperienced rider, not only riding but getting on and off. :idea: A little stouter heavier boned horse would handle the weight better.

rross":3tadsim6 said:
Alan-
The Canadians ride a lot of horses with some draft in them and for good reason. If they were miserable to ride I doubt that they would keep doing it. Right now my neighbor that works on a big cow outfit is riding nothing but draft cross, he says they are great to ride. He has never mentioned the ride even coming close to resembling a ride on a peice of plywood. But then maybe thats the difference between going out and doing a job and riding in the showring. ;-)

350# is a lot of weight, especially if you have an inexperienced rider, not only riding but getting on and off. :idea: A little stouter heavier boned horse would handle the weight better.

I have riden some draft crosses, haven't seen one yet that didn't have a very wide back, plays real havoc on the hips. Yes every breed has it's exceptions, but just because the horse is packing around 350lb doesn't mean it has to be a draft horse cross, to big guys like me (who may have a few extra lbs, but a long way from being fat), I kind of take it an insult when someone suggests a draft horse cross. Mules pack a heck of alot more then 350lbs. Dan Blocker (Hoss) didn't own a draft cross, nor did James Arness. 350lbs isn't too much for any horse of the right size.

I do the vast majority of my riding around the ranch and on the trails surrounding our place, really none in the show ring for me these days, what someone considers a work horse is a matter of opinion ;-) .

Why ride a buckboard when you can ride a cadillac. ;-)
Alan

Alan;
The neighbor I mentioned earlier just got back from a 3 day trail moving 800 cows about 50 miles. Riding the same horse for the entire trip. A draft cross. Thats probably further than "Hoss and Matt" ever rode at one time in their lives, Combined.

"Shoot Low Sheriff their Riding Shetlands"

Just because a guy is big doesn't mean he "needs" a draft cross. If your buddy like his that's great, but there are lots of horses out there to pack me at 260 + or - plus the saddle etc.

And Dan Blocker rode regularly and owned a large cattle ranch in southern Oregon.

Alan

Latest posts