Horse Quality Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

WFfarm

Reaction score
I shake my head every time I see this in classified adds for hay for sale. The insinuation is that the mostly grass hay is superior and too good to feed to lowly cattle. Many are surprised when I ask them if they have better hay, we are looking for something to feed our beef cattle. We are picky about what hay we feed our cattle as it is the most important input to maintaining condition of mother cows and growing quality calves.

Horses really don't need higher protein hay because most are pasture plodders that just need enough to maintain body condition. This isn't true of course for working horses or breeding mares. But you will see adds around us for people who have hay that's been rained on a couple times and "a little too much weeds to feed to my horses, but great for beef cows and goats". Like my cows are the garbage collectors of the area hay fields. Hard pass for me.

I don't own a horse. And have no aspirations to own one. Have had several in the past and they ate "regular hay".

I always thought "horse quality" meant that the hay was clean, fertilized, and most importantly short, with minimal stems and maximum leaf, to aid in digestion. But I could be wrong. Just what I always thought.

I sell 50,000 bales a year of alfalfa. My horse eats anything except foxtail and mold. Some of my customers smell, taste, shake flakes etc. I just SMH and keep quiet

Some of my customers smell, taste, shake flakes etc. I just SMH and keep quiet
Wise choice. 8) Horse owners can be remarkably anal, perverse and set in their ways when it comes to recognizing/adopting factual equine nutritional requirements. I've had horse for decades and I'm always amazed that so many owners put their trust in various & sundry old wive's tales.

I quit selling grass hay completely. It's an even worse type of customer. They want to know what time of day , and what cycle the moon was at when it was cut.

Richnm said:
I sell 50,000 bales a year of alfalfa. My horse eats anything except foxtail and mold. Some of my customers smell, taste, shake flakes etc. I just SMH and keep quiet

I'd include a paper plate, knife and fork free of charge with their order.

About half the horse people around here have 3x too many head per acre on their lush pastures of pig sticker weeds and thistle but must have that "horse quality" hay although I'm glad they're nuts over their fine steeds instead of cows. If half the weekend cowboys in this country replaced those nags with cattle our market would be ruined.

BFE said:
About half the horse people around here have 3x too many head per acre on their lush pastures of pig sticker weeds and thistle but must have that "horse quality" hay although I'm glad they're nuts over their fine steeds instead of cows. If half the weekend cowboys in this country replaced those nags with cattle our market would be ruined.

And so would our quality. I love it when your driving around here, and you go through a small village, and there is a couple of old nags in the middle of town. :lol: Lucky Kell, and Dix are more civilized.

I totally get every bodies take on "horse people" and feeding "horse hay". I would just add that a performance horse, or a horse that puts groceries on the table, needs a decent bale of. I make sure I cut enough hay for my horses every year. Cut it before it seeds, and let it dry long enough, neither mold nor dead critters should pose a threat. Couple horses here worth more than our vehicles. Be a shame to lock ones intestines up on some fescue stems. I also won't feed alfalfa. Everything in moderation i guess.

Bigfoot said:
I totally get every bodies take on "horse people" and feeding "horse hay". I would just add that a performance horse, or a horse that puts groceries on the table, needs a decent bale of. I make sure I cut enough hay for my horses every year. Cut it before it seeds, and let it dry long enough, neither mold nor dead critters should pose a threat. Couple horses here worth more than our vehicles. Be a shame to lock ones intestines up on some fescue stems. I also won't feed alfalfa. Everything in moderation i guess.

I notice you are in Kentucky, Blue Grass Country, Kentucky Derby type farms. Far cry from the genes down here. Agree that they are worth a good meal.

sim.-ang.king said:
BFE said:

And so would our quality. I love it when your driving around here, and you go through a small village, and there is a couple of old nags in the middle of town. :lol: Lucky Kell, and Dix are more civilized.
I didn't think Dix was too civilized, at least on the west side of the interstate. :shock:

BFE said:
sim.-ang.king said:
BFE said:

I didn't think Dix was too civilized, at least on the west side of the interstate. :shock:

They closed the strip club, so it's gotten better. :lol:

sim.-ang.king said:
BFE said:
sim.-ang.king said:

Good deal. Those are the most godless places on earth.

BFE said:
sim.-ang.king said:
BFE said:

Good deal. Those are the most godless places on earth.

I think the DNC is the most godless place on earth. Just saying.

Latest posts