Horse Prices??

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
I'm just curious and I'm kinda doubting I'll get much response but...

I have a 12 year old Tri-colored Dun Quarter HorseXMorgan mare. I've had her since she was five and basically trained her myself. Before I bought her, she was used as a heeling horse. I've been using her in 4-H and was using her for CJRA and Little Britches for a while.

In barrels, she'll run 17's and 18's on a 100-foot pattern. In poles she'll put down 23's and 24's. I also have used her for flag racing, where we have run 9's and 10's. In goat tying, our fastest time has been 17. And in keyhole race, we have ran 12's.

She's a good all around horse but can get pretty fired up once she has been run once or twice. I don't practice on her; she is pretty much a finished barrel and pole horse. She wouldn't be great for younger kids (I'm 17) unless they've had experience. She's only been lame once while I've had her and it was just a strained suspensory ligament.

I live in Colorado. I'm a senior in high school this year. Does any body wanna take a guess about what I could get out of her? I'll try to get a pic or two soon if it'll help.

Thanks. :banana:

The best thing that you could do, is look around at your local market. I know around here, horse prices have dropped dramatically, due to high hay and grain prices.

Horse prices are really in the dump right now.... If I were you and had a few months to sell her I would advertise her all over the place and ask twice or 50% above what I wanted and hope to be able to go down... BTW thank the ban on horse slaughter.

Alan

Horse prices in Arizona right now...are a terribly sad sight.

From what I've seen (looking at the ads, craigslist etc. every day) most horses like that are going anywhere from $1,800 to $4,000 for the most part, depending on how desperate people are to get rid of them. Most have gone to the auction now. There have been horses decrese dramatically every couple days in prices.

Price her as you see fit for her level, exprience and what you've put into her. If someone's looking for a good horse like that, they'll pay it.

Seen horses priced at $200.00 to $1200.00
Nobody is buying.
Now if you were closer I know someone who has a daughter who would love that horse.

$500 will buy you an almost 2YO from what is either the #1 or #2 cow horse producer in the US down here.

I see ads asking what I consider high prices for horses around here. Either they don't understand what is happening with the horse market, they are dreaming, or they are hoping for a sucker.

Horses are being given away around here. I been offered a couple pretty decent ones myself.

Oh, I totally agree with Alan's acessment on horse slaughter.

It's a catch 22. For a well trained polished horse that is an easy keeper with no vices, I'd pay about anything. This slaughter ban has really threw a wrench into everything though. $2,000 around here is the top of the market, you have to have something special to get that price. I used to keep a padlock on my pasture gates to keep trespassers out now I'm more worried about them trying to drop horses off. When selling horses you have to be prepared to wait for the right buyer who will pay what you are asking. We just sold a gelding that we'd had advertised extensively for two years. We got our price, but we also had two more years of keep into him. I'd say good luck and don't get discouraged!

I see horses going for less than the invested training in them. Send them to a trainer for $1000/month for 3 months and you are in the hole big time.

The market is looking better though. Used to be they were just giving them away. Now they are paying you to take them. :lol:

Latest posts