Horse Movies

Help Support CattleToday:

tmboracles

Reaction score
My wife had a favorite movie as a child, a horse movie. Now she cannot even remember what the title was. :(
Can anyone out there help me, I would like to track this down and surprise her with a video copy. :help:
All she can tell me is that the horse jumped, and when he jumped he flicked his tail up over his back; everytime! 8)
Surely there are some other horse nuts who can remember this movie and stir me in the right direction! :?:
I think I remember seeing that also. Thanks folks! :)

I think I know which one you're talking about, but cannot remember the name. Do you have any idea how old the movie is? A couple come to mind - 'The Horse in the Grey Flannel Pajama's' and 'Sylvester' - starring Melissa Gilbert and a cowhorse that she turns into a champion jumper.

Its not My Friend Flicka is it? i havent read that so i dont know the story...
but why would you name a horse Flicka anyway?

Beefy":3bqjieqk said:
Its not My Friend Flicka is it? i havent read that so i dont know the story...
but why would you name a horse Flicka anyway?

Flicka means 'little girl' in Swedish (at least, according to the movie). It's a name for a filly (sp?) foal. And, no, Flicka is not a jumper. She is out of a renegade mare (that I cannot remember the name of) and Banner, the stallion. It is, however, a great movie!

wow, i learned something today.

hmmm...
how about
Black Beauty
The Red Pony
Justin Morgan had a Horse
Mr Ed
Hidalgo
Spirit Stallion of the Something or Other
My Little Pony

Beefy":328yr51a said:
wow, i learned something today.

hmmm...
how about
Black Beauty
The Red Pony
Justin Morgan had a Horse
Mr Ed
Hidalgo
Spirit Stallion of the Something or Other
My Little Pony

Smarty pants! Can't help you with most of them, but 'Justin Morgan had a Horse' is the true story of the founding of the Morgan breed of horses. 'Spirit, Stallion of the Cimarron' animated story. As far as I know, 'My Little Pony' is a toy for youngsters that comes with multi-colored manes and tails! :p :p :p

What about National Velvet? Can't remember what color the horse was, but for some reason I want to say it was a darker colored horse....black or dark grey. Then there was Walter Farley's The Black Stallion, but I don't recall any jumping in that movie.

Totally forgot about the Horse in Grey Flannel Pajamas! :D

TR":2srdwmv7 said:
What about National Velvet? Can't remember what color the horse was, but for some reason I want to say it was a darker colored horse....black or dark grey. Then there was Walter Farley's The Black Stallion, but I don't recall any jumping in that movie.

Totally forgot about the Horse in Grey Flannel Pajamas! :D

If memory serves, The Pie was black (at least in the movie). Have you seen International Velvet?

msscamp":flenhpaf said:
If memory serves, The Pie was black (at least in the movie). Have you seen International Velvet?

Not in many, many, many (many!) years! :D

The movie that you are looking was definatrly an old walt disney show. I don't think it was ever actually a movie but a one hour special.

It might have been called the horse with the flying tail.

It was about a horse that started out as a cow horse until he started jumping fences while working cows.

This sounds quite familiar. :idea: The good old days, when Disney was on every Sunday night, they had lots of good family viewing then! :) Now if I could just find it in the Disney archives, that is not easy to navigate! :roll: I had forgotten about those one hour shows! That may be why I had such hard time finding it; not looking in the right place! :roll: Now that I have a better idea, I'll go back to Disney and try again. ;-)

you could also try amazon.com, ebay, barnes and noble. or go to a search engine such as google or ask or msn and to a search that way.

Yes, many thanks! The movie was called "The Horse With The Flying Tail"

It was an episode of "The Wonderful World of Disney" in 1963.
It also appears that it was a documentary movie in 1960. Documentary,that won that year's Academy award, because it was/is a true story of a stock horse, named "Nautical", turned champion jumper.

I have yet to find it as it is presently unavailable.

Again many thanks to y'all for your help and input! I knew that horsey people would put me in the right direction.

Latest posts