Horse having problem with feed and water

Help Support CattleToday:

just learnin

Reaction score
A friend of mine called today and said that their 14 year old arabian horse was eating feed and drinking water today and it was coming out of the nose and mouth.
Any idea on what may be causing this?

Tell her to get her vet to check the horse. This isn't something that a person should ask a BB or call others for advice.

A responsible horse owner would get the animal to a vet ASAP.

Yes get a vet ,

could be clover blooms , a short term poisioning . have they been in any new pasture , we have a bloom here in early july in one of my small lots that I rarely use and had locked the horses in there the night before for the farrier, Never seen so much liquid come out of a horse before , scared the crap out of me and my farrier id'ed immediately and showed me the plants as he was out early the morning we discovered it.

Yep have had my Arab do that a coupple of times.Also because of the way Arabs are,she will need pain med.Often it is because they get a bolus of hay caught.If that is the case with your friends horse, they will repeat it.I now break up the hay if it is packed tightly. Also have the teeth checked by a equine D.D.S. Good luck! cindy

just learnin":2ibp6pb2 said:
A friend of mine called today and said that their 14 year old arabian horse was eating feed and drinking water today and it was coming out of the nose and mouth.
Any idea on what may be causing this?
What was the problem. Either the horse is dead or yall know by now.

i agree with the others, it may be choke. ask if the horse eats really fast. if it is choke, you can throw some pretty good sized rocks in there, and that should help slow him down.

Latest posts