Horse has diarea

Help Support CattleToday:

:p Diet? Green grass, alfalfa hay will cause this. Also several
bacterial organisms-- salmonila, e coli. Irritated bowl syndrome
from bute, antibiotics, ect. Need more info! ;-)

holly heifer said:
:p Diet? Green grass, alfalfa hay will cause this. Also several
bacterial organisms-- salmonila, e coli. Irritated bowl syndrome
from bute, antibiotics, ect. Need more info! ;-)
Hay,
I have 3 other horses that don't have diarea ,,, so i don't think
it's his diet.
I worm them all at the same time, He just keeps having diarea.
He is in fine shape.He has never had a shot of bute ,
I don't know what else to say.

thanks Bill

As a teen, I had a paint horse that was always loose. If all else is ok and this is nothing sudden or new I wouldn't worry about it. Mine actually would stand around and drink excess water out of boredom. (he was a spoiled barrel horse - I was his second owner and he generated a lot of stories. And a few scars.)

MULDOON":1xfts4rc said:
I have a 10 year old gelding , he is in pretty good shape.
Good appetite , I worm him , but he just can't seem to quit
having diarea.

Any thoughts???????

If he's high-strung or a nervous type of horse that can do it. Also, some horses don't adjust to alfalfa and other types of higher protein feed as well. If it concerns you that much, I would suggest talking to your vet.

I "HAD" A Seattle Slew granddaughter that had the runs real bad. I called my vet and was told the it was not a problem for an adult horse and to give PEPTO. She quit eating and died 3 or 4 days later. Have a GOOD Vet. check him out soon. :( :(

MULDOON":har4jgs0 said:
having diarea.

Any thoughts???????

The first thing that comes to mind is salmonella or Potomic Horse Fever; better call the vet. Horses on rich pasture may have loose or runny manure but that is different from a diarhea.

hayray":1wichmkn said:
MULDOON":1wichmkn said:
having diarea.

Any thoughts???????

Horses on rich pasture may have loose or runny manure but that is different from a diarhea.

How does one determine the difference between a loose/runny stool and diarrhea? I thought they were the same thing.

msscamp":35630j7v said:
hayray":35630j7v said:
MULDOON":35630j7v said:
having diarea.

Any thoughts???????

Horses on rich pasture may have loose or runny manure but that is different from a diarhea.

How does one determine the difference between a loose/runny stool and diarrhea? I thought they were the same thing.

Well I don't really know that except I would say that if it is squiting out rather than just running out and letting gravity take its course than I would say it is diarrhea. I am just thinking that he says the horse is in good shape and he can not get the diarreha stopped so than you think it is a chronic issue rather than the horse getting out on rich pasture or alfalfa hay, they usually get over that in a short time and even then may be loose but not really watery diarreha.

msscamp":y9vt7h2n said:
hayray":y9vt7h2n said:
MULDOON":y9vt7h2n said:
having diarea.

Any thoughts???????

My gelding well get a little loose when he get nervous or we have had a hard (mentally) lesson, but it just looks like cow pie not the squirts.

Alan

hayray":24perrbw said:
msscamp":24perrbw said:
thanks, hayray.

I sent you an e-mail regarding bit questions, did you get that? If not I had wrote that I would be glad to answer any of those questions you have.

Yes, I got your first e-mail and I responded to it with some questions, but did not get an answer. It sounds like you did not get it, and I cleaned out my 'sent' box the other night. :(

Some horses do get loose when they are nervous. Has your vet looked at him? Does he have signs of an Ulcer? I would try some Probiotics or Ration Plus that might help the good bacteria in his digestive system. Especially after deworming or any meds.

Latest posts