horse chomping at bit

Help Support CattleToday:

Hillary_Indiana

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We just got a new horse, a tennessee walker...5 years old. He is the sweetest thing. I rode him before we bought him, but I didn't pay attention to what kind of bit they used. When we got him home I tried using one of the solid bits on him and he was just chomping like mad. He let me ride him but he looked very uncomfortable. Even after I loosened/tightened it. Then, I tried using one of those two-piece bits...same problem...not so bad but still very uncomfortable. Now the girl I bought him from said that the last time he'd been ridden was 4th of july, then before that it was the 4th of july before that. I thought maybe he just needs to get adjusted back to having a bit in his mouth. I'm gonna call Tuesday and ask her what they used on him. One thing I do know is that they were using roper reins on him and we have been using split reins...would that make him uncomfortable like that? He doesn't chomp so much at it when he's standing still. But sometimes when we're riding him he will just open his mouth and start drooling. Anyway, any suggestions?

Hillary

Sometimes they will fiddle with the bit till they get their tounge over it. Then they just continue to fiddle till they get it back under the bit.

General rule of thumb, when bit is in the mouth it should leave 2 wrinkles on either side of the mouth. Then it is not to loose or not too tight.

Any chance they were using a hackamore on him?

I always have snaps with a swivel on the end of each rein. Sometimes with the split reins if you twist your hand it will twist the rein at the bit, therefore twisting the bit in the horses mouth and making it uncomfortable for him.

May be a simple problem of too much energy and wanting to go. I've had horses do that when they hadn't been ridden in a while and wanted to get out and go. Since you stated that the girl you bought him from said he hasn't been ridden since the 4th of July and the 4th of July the previous year, he has a considerable amount of energy to spend. I would simply ride him down with a low port curb or a snaffle and then see where you were.

PS You also didn't state what you were feeding him. Alfalfa and/or grain will increase energy if the horse is not being ridden regularly.

Hillary_Indiana":33gvzuq9 said:
Now the girl I bought him from said that the last time he'd been ridden was 4th of july, then before that it was the 4th of july before that.

Sounds like you have a either a different type of bit in or his mouth isn't use to a bit (kinda like going bare foot for the first time in early spring) His mouth needs to toughen up a little. Watch for blister on the corner of his mouth as you get him use to a bit. We use a small diameter snaffle bit with a D or O ring, we also use the clips on the end of the reins. He might also need to get use to your hand pressure, be light on his mouth and try to keep pressure off his mouth without losing contact. I would also try to find out what they rode in during to two rides on the 4th of July(s), may have been a hackamore.

Good luck,
Alan

My Tennessee Walker mare had the same problem. She would fuss with her mouth until she got her tounge over the bit. I switched to a Myler Toklat MB04 low port comfort snaffle. It gives more room for the tounge. It worked, she is much more comfortable and pleasant to ride now. Around here you can rent the bit to see if it works, they are expensive ($100.00 Canadian new, or $40.00 - $60.00 used off ebay)

I noticed on my quarter horse she has no teeth in the back of her mouth...this tennessee walker does. Anyone know the deal with that?? Thanks for all your replies.

his wolf teeth may have come in you will have to have them pulled, they will only be on the top,the bit may be touching them,there fore agravating him.Its no problem to pull them and painless, call your vet and ask him about it

His teeth is another area that could be giving him fits, if he has a impaction or even a bit of an infection he would be fighting the bit. Lots of area to start eliminating, I would start by contacting the previous owner and asking for advice.

JMO
alan

The vet came out today (to help load our horse I talked about in my other post :roll: ). I had him take a look at the walker's teeth. He says he has no problems with wolf teeth and to try a different bit so I figured I'd try the one suggested in an earlier post.

Hillary_Indiana":1oin3mnl said:
I had him take a look at the walker's teeth. He says he has no problems with wolf teeth.

I'm sorry...I'm trying to follow along, and learn too.

Does that mean that the vet is saying that the Walker still has his wolf teeth?

Because I know you said in an earlier post that the Walker had more teeth in back than your QH.

Our Tennessee Walker has two more back teeth than our QH. However, the vet says these teeth are not a problem and do not need to be removed. I am looking into getting some sort of special bit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wolf teeth set in front of the first molar on the top, not all horses will have them, a lot of times they get in the way of the bit and agravate the horse, this will make the horse act up.now I'm not talking about the canine teeth on the bottom that studs and geldings have.

Hillary, does he act upset or irritated or just preoccupied witht the bit? Sight unseen knowing very little....I would personally use a tom thumb snaffle with a lil shank on it (be gentle with rein pressure) If he can't get comfortable (most of my horses do fine with one wrinkle on each side, but some are more comfortable with 2) If he continues to mouth and spit the bit...you might try a cavesson. Help me people--am I naming the right thing here? To keep his mouth closed around the bit. It is a fact that some horses, like some people...just can't keep their mouth shut :roll:

If he's not particularly upset otherwise...it might be a good training aid. I wouldn't think...so long as you are diplomatic with your reins that they should make much difference.

How do you like the way he rides otherwise?

I dont use nothing but roping reins...when you use them you seem to develope a lighter touch because there so much shorter than split reins..try leaning forward and using just 1 little finger on a roping rein and see if it helps. If that dont help try the snaffle. Good luck

try an O ring or D ring snaffle. my 3 yr old plays with the snaffle i use now, it's a long shank, but with the O ring she pays more attention to me and not the bit. good luck.

Fellers the cavesson you are thinking of is called a flash noseband, it has an extra strap to hold the horses mouth shut. I used one on my mare before I switched to the Myler Toklat MB04 low port comfort snaffle. With the Myler, she no longer needed it.

He rides great when I can get him comfortable. They say he's a racking horse. I think I am going to take the suggestion up on the roper reins. I don't have much $$ now (after buying him!). He really doesn't act like he's being stubborn, so I don't want to be to firm with him...i think that'd just make him confused as to why I am hurting him. It just looks like it hurts. I will try to ride again tomorrow morning and see what happens and update youall...thanks for all the replies.

Hi! There is a wonderful website just for gaited horses called Gaits of Gold. The address is http://www.gaitsofgold.com, Brenda Imus or others on the site can give wonderful information. She has a Imus comfort gait bit that everyone brags about. I haven't tried it yet but I may. I have a Missouri Fox Trotter & my children have Quarter horses.

Good luck with your new horse, I love to ride a gaited horse so much smoother than a QH (sorry guys but it is the truth).

Sharon

Latest posts