Horse boarding advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":2xenewdh said:
jedstivers":2xenewdh said:
I'd stay as far as possible from horse people as I could.
If you decide you must do it then either do the overnight thing or do full service.
That way you don't have horses not getting fed, cared for, that sort of thing.
I can't say enough though, stay away from horse people.
Some are great but a larger percentage than the general public are nuts.
If they make their living with horses they are ok, if they have money and the horses are a play or show thing watch out.

I was looking for a delicate way to warn you myself.
My wife tells me (and anyone else) I'm brutally honest.

jedstivers":1mt7pc3e said:
My wife tells me (and anyone else) I'm brutally honest.
Nothing wrong with that within reason. My wife says the same thing about me, except she uses a different word that starts with an A.....

Meanwhile, my 14YO now thinks he needs a horse, his last "need" lasted about as long as a June frost and I'm not getting stuck with a money pit. I told him to throw a leg over this one if he just "needs" to.

Knocked on a lot of doors this morning and after work, no luck yet, did have a few "dog experiences" though. Going to post a couple of signs at the end of our road I think.

jedstivers":hrbkoupf said:
I just got a valuable lesson today. Guy who lost his horse showed up and loaded it up without us there (horse was visible from road). We had no idea who he was/is, or if he was the actual owner etc. He found my wife's phone from googling, called my wife and to thank her. But when he told my wife he had loaded it up, she flipped out that somebody would do that without us there, then it went WAY downhill. I had to call the guy and "explain" that he was rude to my wife etc. and that was NOT the right thing to do. He better consider himself lucky that we were not home.

I made my point to the gentleman, but I got the feeling that if horse people are lacking that much sense then I don't ever want to deal with them.

Kell-inKY":21mt2rv5 said:
jedstivers":21mt2rv5 said:
I just got a valuable lesson today. Guy who lost his horse showed up and loaded it up without us there (horse was visible from road). We had no idea who he was/is, or if he was the actual owner etc. He found my wife's phone from googling, called my wife and to thank her. But when he told my wife he had loaded it up, she flipped out that somebody would do that without us there, then it went WAY downhill. I had to call the guy and "explain" that he was rude to my wife etc. and that was NOT the right thing to do. He better consider himself lucky that we were not home.

I made my point to the gentleman, but I got the feeling that if horse people are lacking that much sense then I don't ever want to deal with them.
Your a fast learner. Now you know. Life is to short for horse people.
Now like I said before if they make their living working off horses your talking about a whole nother thing.

I made a living full time from the horses for 6 years. My wife is a horse vet. To be totally honest I would take on a part time job before I boarded horses. I! Not to mention people in and out all the time that think they have free rein of your place. And the electric fence won't fly with the most of them. First time one gets hurt it will be your fault, they are not cows hurt in padded stall animals. It is great for some just wouldn't be for me.

Back when we were rodeoing, a place like yours would come in handy sometimes for a layover if we had a couple days between rodeos and not very many miles between. A good place to turn out and let them roll (other than the arena after the rodeo, at the end of a lead rope) and pick a little was worth a lot to us. Hookups were unecessary, as we had a generator on board (but keep in mind the noise they make for you guys). When I first started, I couldn't sleep for the generators running. By the time I quit, I couldn't sleep if one wasn't running. lol Anyway, you'll need to find some people going in your area, and see what popular associations they are in, and which events are held in your area: Barrel racing, rodeos, cutting, racing, etc. Then advertise in those type association magazines. Get the word out within the circles you want to cater to. Maybe get with the event directors to take care of the overflow, that would be the best imo. Once that event was over, you wouldn't have to deal with them any more. Make a little quick money, then back to normal. But you will need to be pretty close to this event.
As with anything, you will have some trouble, some people's kids are not very much fun to deal with. And horses should be extinct, given what all will kill or cripple them. Change of weather, change of water, change of feed, standing on the wrong shavings, eating the wrong leaves, eating off sandy ground, hay too fine, too much water too fast, not enough water, twisted gut, possum chit on hay, just about anything you can imagine.