Horse boarding advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
I know next to nothing about horses (but am willing to learn), our property came with a stable that has 12 stalls on one end and empty on the other (pretty darn long). There may come a point where I need this farm to start paying for itself, so I could use any basic info you want to give on boarding horses. Previous owners raised some kind of fancy horses but property was run down something awful. I've spent a lot of time building and repairing, cleanup, and trying to fix the overgrazed pastures.

1rst option, pasture board. I have electric fence at about 4' high in the woods, and built a wood board fence everywhere else at 54" high. At this time I probably have enough extra grass for 2 horses, and don't mind feeding hay in the winter, but would have to figure out the water situation. I put my cattle on ponds as much as possible, and chop ice in the winter but have several frost free hydrants. Most people have said I need to keep separate from cattle and I am thinking I would need 2 horses from same person so they already get along.

2nd option, stall board overnighters. Apparently in my area people are always passing through needing a place to board their horses for events and such. I just talked to a lady who gets 50-100 a night which includes feeding, mucking etc. I have plenty of parking area for trailers, heck, they could even camp here if they wanted within reason. At normal driving speed, I can get to the main highway (I-24) in 10 minutes from my house, 12 driving slowly.

For the second option I would need to make some contacts and somehow break into the horse culture which like I said I know nothing about but I would lean towards this if possible. I just feel stupid storing hay in this barn and the rest going to waste while we live in a house only worth a little more than the barn itself.

Option 2 would be the "safer" of the two. A lot less liability on your part, a lot less dealing with certain types of horse people.
Either way, make sure you look into insurance.

Boarding horses has the possibility of being very lucrative. In my area, a horse stall, with access to an outdoor arena is $300 a month. I could find literally an unlimited amount of boarders. Your area may be different. A horse turned out on grass is $1000 a year. They gotta catch it, when they want it, and provide the hay. 70 sq bales will winter a horse.

To draw the traveling horse person, your going to need a 50 amp hook up, and water.

As close as you are to Wranglers, I'd be surprised if you got a traveler. It's cheap, and everybody knows it's there. You follow a route with state parks east of the Mississippi when traveling with a horse.

Pasture boarding may be the only option then, will have to research more.

When my wife and I talked to the young lady, here is what I found. I don't know if Wranglers fills up?, if it's seasonally closed or what, but she boards horses all the time. Didn't ask if it was show horses, barrel horses, or what, I will make an effort, I have a feeling she is boarding "rich people's" horses. Didn't want to push too hard as I would be competing I suppose, though I doubt she cared. She (they actually) are only boarding horses, usually a pair or more at a time, and I assumed she meant they were going to a hotel.

I can easily run a 50 amp box, water is right there as well, no sewer though of course. I don't mind the hassle either.

Anyone staying in our area would probably be doing it so they are close to food and entertainment, we (Paducah) have the highest number of restaurants per capita in the nation apparently, and lots of "artisan" stuff.
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/paducah-is-the-fast-food-capital-of-america/

I no nothing about boarding horses as a business. But I do know horses. I'm not so sure boarding horses without a good deal of horse experience, is a good idea.
I'm not saying it can't be done. Just my concern. Horses are extremely reactive. You don't get to know them without lots of hands own ....lots.

Thanks for the input.

I'm just preparing for the very real possibility of the whole selling beef not panning out. I can't see how I won't always have some cattle, but I'm not going to keep expanding if it is just for pasture ornaments. Actually making money on something would sure help out around the farm.

Every time I have someone out they ask why we are not using the stable to board horses, I guess it's time to start listening. It's nothing fancy, but it's really big and I feel wasteful not using it.

callmefence":35qd8220 said:
I no nothing about boarding horses as a business. But I do know horses. I'm not so sure boarding horses without a good deal of horse experience, is a good idea.
I'm not saying it can't be done. Just my concern. Horses are extremely reactive. You don't get to know them without lots of hands own ....lots.
Thanks, I need all the advice I can get.

If pasture boarding, I would do as BF has said in his first post though. Not saying you aren't right, it may be worth the learning curve though.

We boarded our horses for a year while we were between places. This was 20 years ago. $40/month per horse, pasture only. It went up from there. Had to show proof of ownership and vaccinations.

I wouldn't be afraid of it. You could always make the renter clean the stall and feed. You just provide the space

Around my area outside board is about 200 to 250 a month and the farm supplies the hay and keeps the water tanks full. Inside board can run 350 a month easily but that is with the farm cleaning the stall providing feed and turning the horse out daily. Be picky about who you board to, my wife was in the boarding business for 14 years and there are good boarders and there are your worst nightmares.
I would personally be a little scared of having people stay for just a night here and there. I worry about any disease or bacteria that there horses were carriers of that would affect other animals at your property. That being said like the idea of here today gone tomorrow, never have to deal with any pricks for very long.
Whatever you decide I wish you the best in your endeavor. May not hurt to go to, or call, a couple local stables to get an idea what they offer there boarders, that way you know what people expect.

No progress, but I am getting some experience boarding horses. This one showed up this morning down our drive, went to every neighbor within 2 miles who have horses, nobody yet.

I'd stay as far as possible from horse people as I could.
If you decide you must do it then either do the overnight thing or do full service.
That way you don't have horses not getting fed, cared for, that sort of thing.
I can't say enough though, stay away from horse people.
Some are great but a larger percentage than the general public are nuts.
If they make their living with horses they are ok, if they have money and the horses are a play or show thing watch out.

jedstivers":133bvm5i said:
If you decide you must do it then either do the overnight thing or do full service.
If they make their living with horses they are ok, if they have money and the horses are a play or show thing watch out.

I was looking for a delicate way to warn you myself.

Bigfoot":1a2z7ymi said:
jedstivers":1a2z7ymi said:

I was looking for a delicate way to warn you myself.

It's something to think about. Years ago when my father was managing a ranch near Whitehall he had a guy he'd buy cedar posts from. He brought some out one day and Dad told him about a neighbor that wanted some posts. The neighbor asked if he'd drop some off at his house while he was at work, and he'd mail a check. The post guy asked Dad "Now, this neighbor of yours, does he have horses or cattle?" Dad said he had cattle, but why did he ask? The guy replied "If he has cattle I'll drop off the posts, but I've been burned too many times by horse people."

jedstivers":2iwspudq said:

For the 4th time, listen to this man.

You guys are just no fun, I saw on the interwebs I can retire a millionaire...

Locally, the advice has been pretty evenly divided between go for it, and not worth the hassle. Pasture boarding around here is $100 a month per horse. I don't have to tell you that on paper that would make a whole lot more money than cattle for me on my little farm. Like most things, if it where easy then everybody would be doing it.

Not ruling it out just yet, but I do take your advice seriously.

My wife is sure liking this stray horse, she has called twice wanting to foster this thing while we find the owner. I called animal control first thing and they sure don't want it.

Horse is not like a cow, when it gets out. Sometimes, they go for miles and miles. May be a while, before the owner shows up. I'm the POC here for loose cows and horses. I don't know who is in your county, but the judge executive would know.

Latest posts