Horned hereford bull vs polled

Help Support CattleToday:

OvertonAngus

Reaction score
Why one over the other? A lot of people say horned over polled. Some say because of better body condition other say that the horned throws a smaller birth weight calf. I'd like to get a hereford bull but I want as many opinions as possible for pros and cons on both.

OFTEN! Trying to search you get message saying you can't search at this time.

Seen lot of nice horned Hereford bulls lately. I can see why many people preferred horned over polled Herefords based on quality of an animal. Tho you will get some heterozygous polled replacements out of a horned and a polled but its non-issue since you can always breed them to a polled bull of your choice assuming you want do a 3way cross.

You really need to search the data base as suggested before. Plenty of good polled Bulls as well as horned. I raise polled and have both polled and horned Bulls in my tank.

In my opinion, if you want polled calves, look into getting a polled Hereford bull. Other than that, I'd say get the best bull you can find that fits your budget and don't worry about if he has horns or not.

:welcome: to CT!

As mentioned, do a search and you will find many past cussin' and discussin' on the topic ;-)

My personal preference is horned Herefords. I bought horned bulls from two long time breeders. Not that polled bulls aren't good, but there is a smaller gene pool to choose from, because polled Hereford breeders are fewer and further between than horned Hereford.

Either goes good crossed with Angus, and IMO is the best of all worlds 8)

Your first concern should be the "type" and how that coincides with your resources. Let the rack or not fall where it may then.

In my limited experience with them I have to say Horned. If I were looking to buy a Polled bull I would get a hold of Danny Miller. He can do you some good. His are polled and although I have never been there I think from talking to other people he has as good of polled cows as you can get.

Now the reason I say Horned is they seem to be more hardy than the polled counter parts. That is just my opinion

I would recommend Danny Millers bulls. He had the most uniform cattle I had ever seen. Very nice man .
joe

It is a lot easier to find a good horned hereford than it is to find a good polled hereford.
I finally bought a polled hereford this past summer. What some breeders had for sale was just not what we were looking for.

JHH":1yzp4uw0 said:
In my limited experience with them I have to say Horned. If I were looking to buy a Polled bull I would get a hold of Danny Miller. He can do you some good. His are polled and although I have never been there I think from talking to other people he has as good of polled cows as you can get.

Now the reason I say Horned is they seem to be more hardy than the polled counter parts. That is just my opinion

We're running one of Danny's bulls as well as 15 of his cows amount our Angus cows.

Great looking animal and Danny is a super fella to do business with.

TennesseeTuxedo":li8maff1 said:
runner":li8maff1 said:
I would recommend Danny Millers bulls. He had the most uniform cattle I had ever seen. Very nice man .
joe

Yup, what he said.

Likewise, I am running one of Danny's bulls and would also recommend him as the source of your first Hereford bull.

Latest posts