Horn Irons

Help Support CattleToday:

wocattle

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with dehorning with a horn iron? I've been told if done before 2 months the head will almost appear polled.

wocattle":14jk8buy said:
Has anyone had any experience with dehorning with a horn iron? I've been told if done before 2 months the head will almost appear polled.

Are you talking about an electric dehorner? If burning the horns the wide poll will still be there, giving away the horned genetics.

You can have the vet surgically dehorn the calf if the "polled" look is that important. You can also use a bit too large barnes dehorner and take enough off the poll to sharpen it up.

Did, I even address the question????

wocattle":1tc0m1hv said:

Got a small set (goat size) for baby calves. They look polled when done.

I always use the larger size when using a barnes dehorner to keep the buds from growing back. Also cauterizes the veins.

certherfbeef":1gieu070 said:
wocattle":1gieu070 said:

Are you talking about an electric dehorner? If burning the horns the wide poll will still be there, giving away the horned genetics.

You can have the vet surgically dehorn the calf if the "polled" look is that important.

I'm talking about basically a branding iron but made just for dehorning calves. I rancher from Australia that i have spoken with uses them on his calves and is impressed with the results. The vet charges 80.00 per head, local custom fitter (if 140 miles is local) charges mileage and around 50.00 per head

man 50.00 dollars a head is that for cosmetic dehorning? buy you a scoop & eletric dehorner you can pay for them with just a couple head at that price.

there is a dehorn paste we used when i was a kid on bucket calves that worked real well. also to use the circle brander that fits down on the horn bud will do a good job at that age

I use dehorning paste on my longhorn cross calves and have never had any problems with them growing. I missed a heifer calve last year and when we brought them in last fall I dehorned her. I just brought them in off pasture since they run out of grass and her horns are 4 inches long. I'm just going to have to make sure that I get the paste put on.

Bobg

You can band them also. Place an elastrator band down next to the skull. You may have to notch the base of the horn a little to get the band to stay put. Cut's the circulation off and the horn falls of in about 5-8 weeks.

I use a Improved Keystone dehorner when I need to. I tie a piece of baling twine (biodegradable type not plastic) around the base of both horns (one piece around both) as close to the skull as possible. This cuts circulation off to the blood supply of the horn. I don't buy to many horned cattle anymore though.

We paste, gouge, or iron them out...based upon the age of the calf and our mood........

The paste, although easy, often the calf will feel the sicomfort, and will try to rub it off, often with his feet.....not good, burns his skin and any smears on it's face.

gouge in the cooler months no worry about flies.

hot iron... we like it, but they squirm like hell, cus you have to leave it on long enuff to make sure it works. we use the heavy brass style that has a 1" on one side, and 3/4" on the other. simply flip it over. We use them up to 2 inches long.

If I really hate the calf, I will try and do all three........lol

Latest posts