Hoover Dam or his sons

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
What is your favorite Hoover Dam sire? The original or do you prefer one of his sons and why?

Don't know anything about his sons other than one we retained for a season to breed heifers too. I used Hoover Dam himself via AI for 3 years, good predictable results. His calves came easy and had decent growth. Kept some daughters that made some nice cows.

Really interested in this. I used CC&7 last year and really like the calves so far. Plan on retaining one of the bulls. Since CC&7 semen has gone out of sight I'm thinking Hoover Dam would be the logical choice to use instead. What does Hoover Dam do to frame? I'm shooting for 5 to 6 frame cattle.

dbird33 said:
Really interested in this. I used CC&7 last year and really like the calves so far. Plan on retaining one of the bulls. Since CC&7 semen has gone out of sight I'm thinking Hoover Dam would be the logical choice to use instead. What does Hoover Dam do to frame? I'm shooting for 5 to 6 frame cattle.

In my experience with Hoover Dam he will likely not increase frame. 5 to 6 frame cattle is what I shoot for too and his calves worked ok for here.

dbird33 said:

I've been making tons of call and doing a lot of research on Hoover dam. From what I can gather, he will reduce frame on most cows. Which that is what I'm wanting. Everyone I have talked to brags on how well uddered and calm his daughters are.
I've never used him, but ordered 50 straws to use this fall. I'm going to put him in some of my best cows and hope for heifers.
I do have some very nice calves out of SS Niagra.

I hope to hear some more comments on Hoover dam. I'm going back to using older, proven bulls. I'm not overly impressed with the $b trend bulls.

T & B farms said:
dbird33 said:

I've been making tons of call and doing a lot of research on Hoover dam. From what I can gather, he will reduce frame on most cows. Which that is what I'm wanting. Everyone I have talked to brags on how well uddered and calm his daughters are.
I've never used him, but ordered 50 straws to use this fall. I'm going to put him in some of my best cows and hope for heifers.

I hope to hear some more comments on Hoover dam. I'm going back to using older, proven bulls. I'm not overly impressed with the $b trend bulls.
I agree with your line of thinking. I used New Day and CC&7 pretty heavily this past year for the same reason. Looking at breeding Hoover Dam to about 20 cows on the next round.
I'm interested in Hoover Dam's effect on frame compared to a bull like SAV Resource? I have to be careful with Resource. He took some of my cows down a notch too far. Trying to decide if Hoover Dam has the same frame reducing effect.

I'd go with the original. The daughters are great but it seems like the sons are take after whatever the cows are. That might be a consistent theme as Connection, his grandsire, worked the same way. I've never been a big fan of CC-7 but again, his son is a completely different bull and it works.

cow pollinater said:
I'd go with the original. The daughters are great but it seems like the sons are take after whatever the cows are. That might be a consistent theme as Connection, his grandsire, worked the same way. I've never been a big fan of CC-7 but again, his son is a completely different bull and it works.

CP, what were some of the factors that led to you not being a big fan CC&7? Curious because I am leaning toward retaining a son for use next year, but don't have much experience with him outside of the calves I have on the place right now. Main goal is balanced cattle with some preference to maternal traits. Still building the cow herd at this time.

dbird33 said:
cow pollinater said:

CP, what were some of the factors that led to you not being a big fan CC&7? Curious because I am leaning toward retaining a son for use next year, but don't have much experience with him outside of the calves I have on the place right now. Main goal is balanced cattle with some preference to maternal traits. Still building the cow herd at this time.
As I recall it was his frame. I don't really remember much wrong with him other than that as I scratched him off my list early on. His sire, Connection, was a go to for me for a long time. I sold a lot of him and used him myself extensively. In fact I only started using Hoover Dam when he was well proven because I stuck Connection in everywhere where Hoover Dam would fit because I knew what he would do and he was cheaper by then. I can't say anything bad about CC7 other than they were to big for most of my uses. He's well proven by now so that may have changed since I last looked at him.

cow pollinater said:
As I recall it was his frame. I don't really remember much wrong with him other than that as I scratched him off my list early on. His sire, Connection, was a go to for me for a long time. I sold a lot of him and used him myself extensively. In fact I only started using Hoover Dam when he was well proven because I stuck Connection in everywhere where Hoover Dam would fit because I knew what he would do and he was cheaper by then. I can't say anything bad about CC7 other than they were to big for most of my uses. He's well proven by now so that may have changed since I last looked at him.
Frame was a concern of mine too. I've heard that he doesn't add as much as you would think and that his calves will take after their dams in that respect, but I have no experience with it yet. I bred him to a few cows that could use a touch more as a trial. I appreciate the insight.

He doesn't add frame for sure but his daughters arnt exactly small either. Docile, perfect udders and good feet .

T & B farms said:
dbird33 said:

Here is a daughter we have

AAA #: 18881419

She's bred to Bubs Southern Charm

Excellent feet and disposition. Settled 1st try.

What's not to love about Hoover Dam?

************* said:
T & B farms said:
dbird33 said:

Have you bred him to any of your big girls? I'm talking the 1800-2000 lb ones. I'm curious as to how much he knocks off of them?

dbird33 said:
Main goal is balanced cattle with some preference to maternal traits. Still building the cow herd at this time.

I know he's old news. But have you considered 878? Just a thought.

JMJ Farms said:
dbird33 said:
Main goal is balanced cattle with some preference to maternal traits. Still building the cow herd at this time.

I know he's old news. But have you considered 878? Just a thought.

New Design 878: Reg #13062750? Riddle me what you love about him? Also, can someone riddle me how he can have a 30 milk EPD and a PLUS $9 EN?

New design 878 is one I've talked myself out of using a few times. I know this thread was started with making cows in mind, but do his steers grow? Making cows is the priority, but my steers need to be marketable

T & B farms said:
New design 878 is one I've talked myself out of using a few times. I know this thread was started with making cows in mind, but do his steers grow? Making cows is the priority, but my steers need to be marketable

No direct experience with 878, though have used 4 New Design 036 descended bulls, and had some 1407 granddaughters at one time. The steer calves from those bulls did well, they grew good and had enough frame to sell good. From what I understand 878 may be a bit of an anomaly from that line in that he may make some better daughters than some of the others, I don't know just what I have heard. I have seen a couple sons that looked consistent with what I would expect a New Design bred bull to look like.

T & B farms said:
************* said:
T & B farms said:

Have you bred him to any of your big girls? I'm talking the 1800-2000 lb ones. I'm curious as to how much he knocks off of them?

This heifer is from a 1700 ish pounder

With all the threads that are really talking to the "extremes" of EPDs or phenotype on CT, I'd argue Hoover Dam is just a great example of "balanced" angus bull. He's been used extensively because he just checks off a lot of the boxes in a positive but not extreme manner.

As others have said, his daughters are generally solid females. As far as his male progeny -- I steer everything and fatten them -- I personally think the steers are excellent. Excellent frame. Nice demeanor. They have a rump. They may not grow off the charts but they definitely grow. And I know there carcass quality is TOP notch.

In my experience HD has moderated cow size in terms of height in particular. I'd say his EPDs for MH and MW are accurate in my experience.

If it means anything, I'm using Hoover Dam nearly exclusively for my angus breeding this year. My AI rep said it best and simply by stating "HD just provides consistent results."

Stickney94 said:
With all the threads that are really talking to the "extremes" of EPDs or phenotype on CT, I'd argue Hoover Dam is just a great example of "balanced" angus bull. He's been used extensively because he just checks off a lot of the boxes in a positive but not extreme manner.

As others have said, his daughters are generally solid females. As far as his male progeny -- I steer everything and fatten them -- I personally think the steers are excellent. Excellent frame. Nice demeanor. They have a rump. They may not grow off the charts but they definitely grow. And I know there carcass quality is TOP notch.

In my experience HD has moderated cow size in terms of height in particular. I'd say his EPDs for MH and MW are accurate in my experience.

If it means anything, I'm using Hoover Dam nearly exclusively for my angus breeding this year. My AI rep said it best and simply by stating "HD just provides consistent results."

I agree, he's pretty balanced for sure. I have 6 heifers/cows out of him, sound, and balanced describes them pretty well.

At $30 a straw it's worth a try with the original.

Latest posts