Hoof Boots

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
Has anyone on here ever tried to use hoof boots rather than shoes. Rode some rocky places the other day, seems like the shoes were not that good at protecting the horses and mules feet and were very slick on the rocks. One man lost a shoe and his horse was sure sore by the time they got back and one man had to walk back while they led his horse in he was limping so bad.

I'm personally not a fan of boots, but I do have some. Was their soles sore? Boots give you a little sole protection, and some chipping of the hoof wall protection. They don't really replace a shoe if a shoe is needed. Not sure what responses you'll get on this forum. About the only time I saw a post here about shoes, most didn't run shoes.

the one, a horse, was holding her foot up and limping bad some was saying that she had rock bruised it ????
I don't know much about horses or mules just got back into mules after 30 years. This mare had shoes on but I can't see how shoes keep them from bruising the middle part of the hoof. To me they were trying to travel way to fast in the rocks. I ask some of the men about boots but they were no a big fan of them either.

Doubt a mule would get a bruise on its sole very easy. I've ridden mules in about every condition there is, and never had a bruise or abcess. Had several horses get sore in terrain that wasn't all that challenging. Boots don't stay on, and cause stumbles. Technology might have led to a better boot. Idk the only time I use them is tieing a horse to the trailer overnight on gravel, or if I'm stalling on concrete. Also, unless they make a boot for a mule, a horse boot is probably not going to fit. Not much flare to a mules foot.

New product out now, you pour on the sole of a thin soled horse. Works like an epoxy, but stays reasonably soft. You use it when your going to be on jagged rocks, and take it out when your done. Supposed to be good stuff, but I've never used it.

Sounds like you need some new people to ride horses with.

I prefer shoes, but ride with people who use boots and/or ride barefoot, and have actually been pretty surprised by how well horses and hooves hold up. A horse that's used to going barefoot and trimmed appropriately does better on most terrain than a fresh-shod horse.

FWIW I'd be concerned about a lot more than a stone bruise on a horse that's non weight bearing the day of the ride.

Not a fan of boots at all
I always kept my horses shod even if they were turned out
I have used pads under the shoes to help alleviate horses that became stone bruised easily or that we were using in rough rocky conditions only thing about using pads if left on constantly or in wet conditions it can promote bacteria growth
I had one good ranch gelding that I had to use Xwide shoes on his front because he would get sore
Never figured out why but as long as he had XW shoes on he was fine put reg shoes on and he would be sore

Latest posts