Hoof trimming

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I am wondering which is the best way to sharpen the hoof trimmers? Use a grinder or file?
Ours are really dull and I pulled a muscle yesterday trying to trim my husbands horse. It has been fairly wet and the hoofs are not super hard right now.

Go to your local hardware store and get a wetstone. They come in different sizes so you can find one that will work for your nippers. Use the wetstone on the edge just like sharpening a knife.

I use a round one that fits in the palm of my hand for my axe.

I luv herfrds":2svh9jat said:
I am wondering which is the best way to sharpen the hoof trimmers? Use a grinder or file?
Ours are really dull and I pulled a muscle yesterday trying to trim my husbands horse. It has been fairly wet and the hoofs are not super hard right now.
if you aint too handy with a grinder you can mess em up. be sure to file down the stop's below the nippers so the blades will touch. or you wont get a clean cut all the way through.

emery (sp?) cloth works well after you use the whetstone, it's kind of to polish off items like nippers that have smaller cutting edges.

incidentally...while we're on the subject, do any of you strop knife edges any more? i mentioned to a friend that for some reason the new pocketknife i had didn't seem to get as sharp as my old ones used to. i was told that today's with hard steel stropping an edge won't do any good anymore? i know that years ago when i was taught to strop an edge it made your knife frightenly sharp.

Forget it. It is really hard to sharpen them with out getting them all screwed up. The problem is that sure you can sharpen each edge but they get out of alignment and won't do squawt. And then you also have to remove material from the boss as you remove the edge. I send mine back to the manufacture and they re-do the whole set. I would bet in your case you should just buy a new pair. If you have the cheap ones that you buy at the local farm store they are always dull. And make sure you are not using a pair of pull offs/nail nippers, look a lot alike but are not the same.

circlet":fr7mrw15 said:
emery (sp?) cloth works well after you use the whetstone, it's kind of to polish off items like nippers that have smaller cutting edges.

incidentally...while we're on the subject, do any of you strop knife edges any more? i mentioned to a friend that for some reason the new pocketknife i had didn't seem to get as sharp as my old ones used to. i was told that today's with hard steel stropping an edge won't do any good anymore? i know that years ago when i was taught to strop an edge it made your knife frightenly sharp.
You can strop the knife to get the burr off the edge after sharpening on the hone, or a steel will do the same thing, and I have even used news print. But stroping or using a steel only takes that bur off and straigtens the feather edge after it is bent over from hitting the edge on a surface, but once the edge is blunted stroping or using a steel does not sharpen a knife. Todays knife steels are far superior than the old tool steels, they may also be harder to sharpen, the older softer steels grind an edge easier.

Latest posts