Hoof Abscess

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
I have a horse here with a hoof abscess. It is a fairly large one on the inside of her left hind hoof, right along the hoof wall. Just wondering what the best thing to do for her is. I have drained it, and flushed it out tonite. She is kept outside, and it is muddy, not great for keeping her hoof clean. Don't really have anywhere to keep her inside either. Should I be wrapping her hoof? If so, with what? I have a fair amount of horse experience, but this is the first time I have had to deal with a hoof abscess. Thanks for any help!!

Hey Randi, I know absolutely nothing about hoof abscesses, haven't encountered that problem with my horses yet. But, since there isn't a lot of traffic on these horse boards, why don't you try posting that question on one of the many horse forums out there, you may get some more tips on how to take care of the problem.

Sorry I didn't see this a week ago, with luck all is going okay. For hoof abscesses I use SMZ 960 ( have to look up what the SMZ stands for). I'll have to look up a dose, but I THINK it's about 12 tablets twice a day for 10 days. Some folks grind them up and mix with grain. I like to put the tablets in a 20cc syringe and mix with water, shake the syringe until the tablets dissolve and give it like a horse wormer. I wouldn't cover the abscess, but keep it as clean as you can.... Maybe a turn out without so much mud, but all you can do is all you can do..... Maybe hose daily with a spray on external antibiotic. I'm not sure about the dose but will look it up if you need it.

Sorry I'm late on this,
Alan

When you hafta wrap a hoof...the best thing is a baby diaper....and duct tape. Tape that sucker on like you don't intend for it to ever come off. LOL they'll wear the bottom off faster than you'd think.

Latest posts