hoof sole injury

Help Support CattleToday:

sjr725

Reaction score
I have a 4 yr old that must have stepped on something and has a cut to the sole of his left front. It's about 3/4 of an inch long and runs side to side just between the point of his frog and his toe. I've see my share of puncture wounds to the sole but this is different - almost like he stepped on a sharp rock or something. Now we've had a bit of rain and the pasture is moist so feet are probably softer than normal, he's on irrigated grass pasture so he's standing on grass - very minimal mud. I rode him out last Tuesday for about 5 hours, he was fine when I turned him out - groomed him and checked his feet after the ride and before turning him loose. Thursday I noticed he was just ever so slightly sore - I picked out his feet and looked them over didn't see anything (he had shoes on with about 9 weeks on them, thought maybe he could have gotten something under the shoe, so we pulled the shoes)- still sore Friday - took a closer look, washed his foot with scrub brush and could then see the cut - it doesn't appear deep - although hard to tell, tender when you press on it - you can press with your thumb and the edges will separate slightly - 1/32nd inch maybe? No bleeding, no heat or swelling or other signs of infection? Had the shoer out Saturday, I thought maybe a pad would help - foot too sore to shoe. I've been washing twice a day with peroxide and iodine. We're going to try to get a shoe on it on Wednesday, it appears less sore this morning and still no sign of infection. - I still think the grass pasture is the cleanest place for him to be.
your thoughts?

sounds to me like you're on top of everything. frankly i don't know much about shoeing horses, but have you thought about putting a protective boot on and waiting on the shoe? we had a 3 yo with a puncture wound this spring, the boot seems to have helped.

good luck!

I thought about an "easyboot" or something of the sort - but since he actually got more sore when we pulled his shoes, the shoer seems to think that putting an iron shoe back on would stabalize the sole and minimize the expansion/contraction of the sole. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't abcess, and I don't lose him for the entire summer!

it's funny (but NOT funny) how something "little" like this can take up alot of your time and energy worrying about it and remedying it isn't it? i hope that you end up with a smooth and easy solution.

sjr725":1mctmabh said:
I still think the grass pasture is the cleanest place for him to be.
your thoughts?

I would agree. Is the pasture being actively irrigated? Sounds like you're on top of this injury!

I like to use Novalsan better then the iodine or Peroxide. It seems much more gentle. Have you soaked & then wrapped it with a diaper & wrap? That way you can see if it is draining anything from the opening.

Well, we've had a fair amount of rain so I haven't had to irrigate the pasture lately but it's pretty sod bound so it's like walking on your lawn - very few spots of bare dirt. I prefer the iodine because it's not as gentle as Novulsan, it dries out the sole and hardens it - helps make it tougher and not so sore. Yesterday and this morning he is quite a bit less sore on the foot and still no sign of heat, swelling or infection - I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Talked to my vet yesterday and he advised against wrapping it - keeping the moisture in would soften the sole excessively and we want to dry it out. Just a bummer this time of year 'cause he should be getting used regularly - I may have to buy a spare to replace him for the summer. Funny how this never happens to a horse you're not using and don't need - it'd never happen to one of cranky old broodmares!

sjr725":3cr9o4pk said:
Funny how this never happens to a horse you're not using and don't need - it'd never happen to one of cranky old broodmares!

Murphy's Law! :roll:

Seems to me you are doing everything right. Especially since the wound isn't getting worse, but getting better. If the hoof is too sore to shoe, than don't push the issue leave the shoe off. A boot may be something to look into to help relieve any pressure on the cut. Good job!