Honda 350 rancher..ES problems

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Honda Rancher 350 ATV with electric shift. Today it has stuck in 1st gear and won't shift out, up or down.
Any one had any problems with an electric shift? Any ideas? About all the ATV shops around here are closed on Monday.

everyone has problems with the ES.. its junk

look in your manual about the relief valve... you can turn it in/out and see if that will work.. if not. you can use the tool in the storage compartment to shift manually.

ddd75":3ugmx92m said:
everyone has problems with the ES.. its junk

look in your manual about the relief valve... you can turn it in/out and see if that will work.. if not. you can use the tool in the storage compartment to shift manually.
OK thanks. I forgot about that shifting tool also, maybe now I can at least get it back into neutral to start it and load it to take it somewhere.
Its been a great 4 wheeler, guess its gotta tear up sometime.

I'd start by making sure you have a strong battery , then clean the shift motor (bolts on the front of the motor ) or buy a new one for $80 . Could be the angle sensor as well but i'd start with the shift motor . I'm no mechanic but have done this several times pretty easy . Curious how many hours and miles on the rancher ?

BobbyLummus1":b0vh3f5q said:
I'd start by making sure you have a strong battery , then clean the shift motor (bolts on the front of the motor ) or buy a new one for $80 . Could be the angle sensor as well but i'd start with the shift motor . I'm no mechanic but have done this several times pretty easy . Curious how many hours and miles on the rancher ?
I would have to look and see what the miles and hours are, but it runs like a top. I have a '08 rancher 420 also with the EFI which I like a lot, but it doesn't run any better than the 350...just a little more power.

I have a 2001 and have had zero problems. I'm not a mechanic so my terms will be a bit vague but I had the cable running back lose connection once. I cleaned it and hooked it back up and everything was fine. I've given it to my 8 year old son who still runs around the farm on it.

banjo i wish you hadnt mentioned the rancher 420.i just bought a new rancher 420TE 2 weeks ago.im still getting used to it.she rides like a log wagon.guess thats because im used to the 500 rubicon 4x4.

Mine rides pretty smooth. maybe its had a few years for the shocks to relax. I bought it used a couple of years ago.

i have a 420 also.. it rides like a brick compared to other quads.. I got on my neighbors polaris the other day and it was like riding on a cloud.

and mines pretty broke in at almost 9,000 miles.

i learned that you can get 14yrs out of them without major problems.but then 1 morning the motor maybe blown and not crank.

BobbyLummus1":3pk36dzp said:
I put a new shift motor on the 350 today and it shifted two times then quit, nothing. The gear number will flash on and off about 3 times when you push the button...seems it could be something else. Any ideas? I believe the battery is strong enough, it starts right up.

Banjo - they won't shift right without a good battery if its been a while I would check that first . The flashing sequence will diagnose the problem ( I'm not sure off hand what 3 flashes means , but probably something you could call and ask a tech at a dealer over the phone ')

BobbyLummus1":106w92qd said:
Banjo - they won't shift right without a good battery if its been a while I would check that first . The flashing sequence will diagnose the problem ( I'm not sure off hand what 3 flashes means , but probably something you could call and ask a tech at a dealer over the phone ')
It turns out it was the angle sensor. Put it on this morning and hooked everything up and it shifted like it was new. I left the new shift motor on it so that will all b new. the other one I took off and apart was filthy inside....I gave it a good cleaning and put it back together...which is no easy task, I'll keep it for a spare.
Thanks Bobby and everyone for your input and help.

Latest posts