535 problems

Help Support CattleToday:

Cress27

Reaction score
I've got a John Deere 535 that is making a hell of a noise sounds like coming from the pick up. You can turn it on and rev it to 530 pto no noise but as soon as you start taking in hay it makes a noise. Still makes a pretty roll and bales just fine.

Cress27 said:
I've got a John Deere 535 that is making a be nice of a noise sounds like coming from the pick up. You can turn it on and rev it to 530 pto no noise but as soon as you start taking in hay it makes a noise. Still makes a pretty roll and bales just fine.
SBMF 2015 said:
Pick up bearing, pick up drive chain, maybe a loose shield between pick up teeth.
That's my first thought was pick up bearing or a bent tooth. It's my dads old baler he upgraded and I'm going to use the 535 next year. On my small cattle farm 141 acres I'm in the process of buying. The 535 has had the hay put though it. He bought it new when I was born 25 years it's baled every bit of 2500 to3000 bales a year. Thanks for your replies.

Okay, here's another 535 question- twine is wrapping several more times on home return side than it should. This is a friends new to him baler and I have exceptionally Little experience with round balers. No obvious broken parts or missing springs. Fluid level for pump is fine with new filter.

Beefeater said:
Okay, here's another 535 question- twine is wrapping several more times on home return side than it should. This is a friends new to him baler and I have exceptionally Little experience with round balers. No obvious broken parts or missing springs. Fluid level for pump is fine with new filter.

Read in the book, there is a manual adjustment to set the number of wraps. I don't remember quiet were it's at , but I remember changing it when we started baling corn stocks in the fall.

Beefeater said:
We have a 530 baler, almost the same just has a single arm. Look at the trim knife, it's the blade that hinges down and cuts the twine in the home position. The actuating lever and spring make need some adjusting or the blade may need sharpening. watch to see if the are movement is steady thru the whole range of motion. If the arm slows down or stutters at the end of the travel, it may be taking longer time to actuate the blade which will let a lot more twine out at the home position before cutting.

Silver said:
Also, make sure the belt that drives the pump isn't slipping.

What would cause the belt to slip at the very end vs. throughout wrapping process?

Beefeater said:
Silver said:
Also, make sure the belt that drives the pump isn't slipping.

What would cause the belt to slip at the very end vs. throughout wrapping process?

I don't know, but it does seem to take more oomph at the end of the cycle. In the past I have taken a wooden hammer handle or some such to put pressure on the belt while it's turning and witnessed the arm finish its stroke.
It seems like a simple system, but there are also several moving parts on the control valve that have to work right for a successful tie.

Latest posts