Homeowners insurance? I'm having second thoughts.

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":1r3wsmc8 said:
IMO better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Agree with this, Use this quote alot. Gotta keep my insurance as I surely couldn't rebuild mine on my own, Although it does,like others said, makes me mad when it goes up without any claims. Gotta help pay for all the other claims I guess.

I found myself 8. This position a couple years back...ever time I turned around my homeowners was climbing. Went over policy multiple times w/ agent.. even called around to shop quotes. Boiled down to much of what's been said her..replacement costs are climbing in our area annually. I have the homeowners, autos, umbrella and barn/tractor all insured through the same company. Only thing I could do to lower my rates was increase my deductibles on each of my policies. Kind of stinks, but you can't hardly find a company that will provide an umbrella policy around us. They balk as soon as you mention cattle.

bball":1kpf8dzm said:
I have the homeowners, autos, umbrella and barn/tractor all insured through the same company. Only thing I could do to lower my rates was increase my deductibles on each of my policies. Kind of stinks, but you can't hardly find a company that will provide an umbrella policy around us. They balk as soon as you mention cattle.

I had all of the above insurance, including umbrella liability and bulls, with State Farm. Only insurance my State Farm agent did not handle was crop insurance when it was required when I participated in the farm program. My agent referred me to a State Farm agent in another town who did deal with crop insurance. The coverage itself was Rain and Hail, don't think it had anything to do with State Farm.

John SD":vvoeaidh said:
bball":vvoeaidh said:
I have the homeowners, autos, umbrella and barn/tractor all insured through the same company. Only thing I could do to lower my rates was increase my deductibles on each of my policies. Kind of stinks, but you can't hardly find a company that will provide an umbrella policy around us. They balk as soon as you mention cattle.

I had all of the above insurance, including umbrella liability and bulls, with State Farm. Only insurance my State Farm agent did not handle was crop insurance when it was required when I participated in the farm program. My agent referred me to a State Farm agent in another town who did deal with crop insurance. The coverage itself was Rain and Hail, don't think it had anything to do with State Farm.

Funny you should mention State Farm. They have had had our life/car insurance for years but when we bought the farm (so to speak), they told us they don't insure farms! I thought they were joking; it's right there in the name, after all. But they said State Farm does not insure farms...We had to go with another company, who professed great surprise in learning, while doing the underwriting for the hay barn, that we actually sometimes store hay in it! Actual HAY! Then they wanted to know precisely how many FIXED bales of hay we had in it at any given point. Uh, depends on how hongry the cows were that day????

The whole thing was quite weird...(and no, these were not city folk)

boondocks":39f9ipjy said:
John SD":39f9ipjy said:
bball":39f9ipjy said:

Funny you should mention State Farm. They have had had our life/car insurance for years but when we bought the farm (so to speak), they told us they don't insure farms! I thought they were joking; it's right there in the name, after all. But they said State Farm does not insure farms...We had to go with another company, who professed great surprise in learning, while doing the underwriting for the hay barn, that we actually sometimes store hay in it! Actual HAY! Then they wanted to know precisely how many FIXED bales of hay we had in it at any given point. Uh, depends on how hongry the cows were that day????

The whole thing was quite weird...(and no, these were not city folk)
Farmer's don't insure farm's either

[Farmer's don't insure farm's either[/quote]

But of course not!
I'm gonna start an insurance agency, call it Urban Skyscraper Insurance Co., Inc., and only insure farms!
Will y'all sign up? ;-)

Maybe it's a regional thing. I have St. Farm and they insure the farm.

A few years ago I was sued by the farmer I was renting my farm to. He got hurt while helping off load a manure spreader off of a trailer.

I had to set down with St. Farm to determine which St. Farm ins. co. was going to be involved. I had home owners, auto, business, farm and umbrella. They needed to know if the trailer was connected to the truck when the accident happened. Was it at the farm? If the trailer was not connected to the truck it was the farm policy. If the hitch was connected it was the auto police..... on and on. I really don't remember which co. protected me. I did not know, unit then, St. Farm is multiple companies.

A childhood friend and his dad were here butchering a hog as they did most every year back in the day. While butchering, friend slipped with the knife and cut his hand which needed stitching. We hurried up and finished the hog, and I took him to town to the local clinic where the PA sewed him up. IIRC, it took 10 stitches in his hand.

The guy paid cash to the local clinic. Meanwhile, Dad turned a claim in to our State Farm agent. State Farm reimbursed the guy, and the agent followed up afterward to make sure the guy was OK and there were no ongoing issues. Hand is OK today.

Latest posts