Holstein Momma and Calf Wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

mml373

Reaction score
I'm in southern Missouri, wondering if anyone in Texas is selling a Holstein cow and her calf due to the drought. Looking for my first dairy cow for family milk/dairy production. The cow must be gentle and easily handled, and I prefer one used to hand milking. I'm disabled thanks to a flu shot and can't go running after cows or dealing with bad behavior.

I'll have to figure out transport.

Thank you.

I just have to ask, but if you are in southern Missouri, why are you looking for one in Texas?
I know, none of my business...

I'm in southern Missouri, wondering if anyone in Texas is selling a Holstein cow and her calf due to the drought. Looking for my first dairy cow for family milk/dairy production. The cow must be gentle and easily handled, and I prefer one used to hand milking. I'm disabled thanks to a flu shot and can't go running after cows or dealing with bad behavior.

I'll have to figure out transport.

Thank you.
Rochelle Farms up Texarkana way usually trades some in dairy cows, they might would have something for you and you'd cut some driving. I know there's some big dairies up north of you. It goes against my grain to recommend what I'm about to say next but since a lot of homesteaders aren't "cattle people" you usually can scoop up a dairy cow off of Craigslist because most of them don't know where else to sell one.

My limited experience with dairy cattle is most Holstein cows produce too much milk for the family farm. I could be totally wrong. But had a friend try one and she milked way too much for them and their extended family. Sold her and bought a different breed, maybe a jersey if I remember correctly. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

My limited experience with dairy cattle is most Holstein cows produce too much milk for the family farm. I could be totally wrong. But had a friend try one and she milked way too much for them and their extended family. Sold her and bought a different breed, maybe a jersey if I remember correctly. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
So, this is the good, the bad, and the ugly of it: unless you're doing bottle calves or have a market for it pre-set, any large dairy cow will out-produce your needs. This isn't 1907 anymore and most people don't have six kids, two parents, and a grandparent all in the same house. Yields will outpace demand even if you make butter or cheese unless you basically just go shares with a calf or calves through its entire weaning cycle and for a small household even that can be too much (on some milkers you can go shares with two calves and still cut out a gallon a day for yourself). Now, if you've got hogs or a garden this is no big deal, anything you can't sell or use can be recycled without waste. This is the only real argument for Dexter cattle, they make good family milkers. It's also a poor argument, because a good Devon will outpace that Dexter in most metrics and leave you a steer to butcher that you'll love.

Latest posts