Holstein bull pictures...(four pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
For Copeman, as requested. Here's Alveen - herd bull at the dairy. Snapped these early this morning when the herd went out to pasture. Enjoy.

alveen4.JPG

alveen3.JPG

alveen2.JPG

alveen1.JPG

thats a nice looking bull.i bet he throws some good heifer calves.he is a big framed bull.scott

He is big - and he's doing more than just "talking" in that last picture. It's more like threatening me. :lol: He was bellowing in all the pictures though it's most obvious in the last two. See the dust on his left in that second picture? he was pawing and letting me know what he thought of me being that close.

Alveen's just a little over 3 years old, and been here since he was about 18 months. Not sure what his heifer calves are like. I might own one of them but I'm not sure - boss usually runs two herd bulls. Hard to know who's responsible for each calf that way. The other bull was shipped last month after he knocked the boss's 70 y/o dad down. Alveen hasn't gotten anyone yet, but he did go after my boss a week or two ago. We're putting up with him until October when the new bulls arrive...and just being careful when Alveen's around.

ok i just got to ask.just how meny cows are you milking to run 2 bulls.we just ran 1 bull an always milked tween 80 an 120 cows.worked the bulls butt off.scott

If I remember right there's 97 head of milking stock on the records + the heifer herd. Around 40 head in the older heifer herd. Usually keeps one bull with the cows and one with the heifers. The bulls don't respect fences very well so there might be one in each pasture or two with the milking or heifer herd...they go wherever they want.

Might or might not need two bulls...boss has a reason behind keeping two that doesn't always make sense to me, but he's the boss. Two bulls it is. 8) :lol:

I'm curious as to why you don't AI the cows. Every dairy I've ever known of uses AI. Just curious.

Around here, some of them use AI, some use bulls...just depends on what the boss wants. My boss doesn't have the time for AI, and the bulls are on the job 24/7. Same reason some of the beef folks prefer bulls to AI.

Milkmaid, I like that bull. I bet he is a tall one. I have never seen a Holstein bull before. I have seen Holstein Oxen. They were at Land Between the Lakes, at the Old Homeplace. They plowed with them and they were huge!! I really enjoy looking at a herd of dairy cattle. I know that is way above what I am capable of taking care of at this time, but when it comes to cattle, I guess dairy is the king in my book.
Your bull looks like the commercial where they advertise that California cows are the happiest. One of the commercials show an earthquake coming, and the cows are making noises so that their voices will vibrate.

Latest posts