Holding pen

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
I'm about to build a holding pen on my place. I'm using your typical panels sold at the feed store, etc. how does everyone prefer to anchor their corners?

i put up a 10x24 ww holding pen thought it would be heavy enough by itself had a cow and young calf in it she folded it like an accordion so i went back put a steel post under 3 corners and a 10 inch round post at the corner with the high pole gate going to hook my other fence to it is the reson for the big post but ive since had 15 in there they havent moved it at all.

jallen":k9kjw4kg said:
I'm about to build a holding pen on my place. I'm using your typical panels sold at the feed store, etc. how does everyone prefer to anchor their corners?

Pen for what, how many, what size, how heavy are the panels, how long, etc

Something to consider:

If you make it round nothing piles up in the corners and tries to go over the top

Best to all

Bez

For starters use a T-post with the panels chained to it at the corners and where panels join. From there you can finesse it to what you want and will work better for you. We set ours up 10 years ago like that and changed things a little here and a little there till we got it how we wanted. Being lazy I've never bothered puttin in permanent posts, just left the T-posts.

3 inch tube steel. Top mid and bottom rails are 1 1/2 inch by 3. 5 foot by 20 foot long sheep panel welded to it. Pins together. Move it or reconfigure it. Add it on to existing pens at times. Take it to leased properties and take it with you when you are done. 10 years from now I can add more on if I want.

For the short term it will be housing the bull im getting. It will be used for working the cows, getting calves on a trailer etc. going to be a smaller pen, 30x30 ish or so.

The bull is going to challenge it. The T-Post holding panel description someone posted above will not work. The bull will toss those T posts right out of the ground. Damage your panels too. Cow gets in heat and he's going to be really hard to retain in a pen that small especially.

No cows will be in heat anytime soon, everyone is pregnant as far as I know. The bull will only be there for a week or so. He had ringworm and I'm going to make sure it's knocked out before he gets to be with the cows. He has been treated and I hunk its pretty well under wraps. Other that that it will be used as an all purpose pen. It will have a head catch, some type of chute for loading etc. will anchoring corners with 6x6 posts work or would I need to anchor all of the connections?

If upi don;t anchor all of the connectiosn the pen will change shape. If the bull is mellow it will hold him, if He's a fence challanger he needs a welded and solid bull pen.

jallen":pxnq3qaw said:

Mine is made of drill stem cemented in the ground and welded together in an octagon with panel welded to that.

Caustic Burno":q7npg4wl said:
jallen":q7npg4wl said:

Mine is made of drill stem cemented in the ground and welded together in an octagon with panel welded to that.

when u say panel are u talking about cow panels or something else.

Make it taller also. Every bull we've ever owned has cleared a regular tube gate. So now we either run boards around the top of the pen or wire sheep panels to it. Nothing under 7 feet.

on temp pens I Get 12L x 7w (or what ever size panel you have ) tarps from Harbor Freight and wrap the panels. make sure the width is not to long and use hay string and lace it like a shoe through the gromets. I put a 4" wood post at each p-anel connection

ragweed":8q52r9g8 said:
Caustic Burno":8q52r9g8 said:
jallen":8q52r9g8 said:

when u say panel are u talking about cow panels or something else.

Here is a picture they call this sheep panel here.

002-1.jpg

002-1.jpg
[/quote]
CB, i don't know about the panel, but i sure like what is in the pen.

denvermartinfarms":3m1fnvfq said:

002-1.jpg
CB, i don't know about the panel, but i sure like what is in the pen.[/quote]

Thank's that is the kind of young girl's I am going to slowly.
Not quite what I started the dance with years ago.
Tiger's are a little to much for an old man.
She is 3/4 Herf 1/8 Brimmer 1/8 Char.
Figure these will get me close to the casket or out of Biz.

denvermartinfarms":im12ogsv said:
What are you breeding them to?

Currently an Angus bull named Obama more trouble than he is worth.
The reason I want her type no matter is I put an Angus, Hereford of Char on them they will raise a calf that will mash the scales. Secondly I can change my calf crop color by changing the bull.

Latest posts