Hogs back in pasture (trap pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Flaboy, I can see the pics from here finally. You did good on those traps. Floors, the right grid, gussets, lifting eyes -everything. Yes it does indeed take time to build quality traps and I can tell why it took you so long to build each one. It is quicker in the long run plus you hold them in. If one escapes and gets trap smart, you have a mess on your hands.

Mine are similar except there is a guilotine door on them - all but one.

You can pick up trap and all when it is full of shoats and haul them to a holding pen. That is what solid traps buy you.

Recently a guy was building and selling traps. He had a flat bed full. They were not as rugged as yours. He had banded the tops together and there were no floors. People were actually buying them. I'd pay twice as much for yours if I were buying them.

backhoeboogie":1e5e91uu said:
Flaboy, I can see the pics from here finally. You did good on those traps. Floors, the right grid, gussets, lifting eyes -everything. Yes it does indeed take time to build quality traps and I can tell why it took you so long to build each one. It is quicker in the long run plus you hold them in. If one escapes and gets trap smart, you have a mess on your hands.

Mine are similar except there is a guilotine door on them - all but one.

You can pick up trap and all when it is full of shoats and haul them to a holding pen. That is what solid traps buy you.

Recently a guy was building and selling traps. He had a flat bed full. They were not as rugged as yours. He had banded the tops together and there were no floors. People were actually buying them. I'd pay twice as much for yours if I were buying them.

What was he selling them for? I have seen the panels just welded together to form the cage and door had a little steel rod around it. Cheap but I didn't figure I could haul it around on the FEL very long so I went this way.

The only dang steel supply shop was closed for the Christmas break so I went to Lowes and bought 3/4 inch black pipe. It is 1 inch OD so the same as 1 angle iron (what they recommend). It made the job a bit harder but not too bad.

flaboy":feehn845 said:
What was he selling them for? I have seen the panels just welded together to form the cage and door had a little steel rod around it. Cheap but I didn't figure I could haul it around on the FEL very long so I went this way.

The only dang steel supply shop was closed for the Christmas break so I went to Lowes and bought 3/4 inch black pipe. It is 1 inch OD so the same as 1 angle iron (what they recommend). It made the job a bit harder but not too bad.

$135 and $145. Don't really know what the difference was between the two. Didn't care to see anything else. He was selling them. They'll probably work great for 150 lb and smaller but one big one will rip it a part.

Old bed frame iron (I think we had this discussion) and sucker rod work great. Check those second hand stores for bedframe iron. It takes me about 110 foot of iron to build the frames and door, give or take. Any old scrap works for gussets. I have a bunch of Unistrut channel I bought at an auction that I use for the guilotine slides. That is another 12 feet or so.

The 20 foot by 5 foot sheep panels build one trap for me. When I was up in Weatherford, TX with a friend as TSC, I had my G/N hauling some panels for him. They had some damaged panels. One of the guys told me, "We'll find some sucker that will give us $12 bucks each for those." I said, "Load them! Here is your sucker!" (didn't tell him I was going to cut them up :lol: for hog traps). Wish I could find a deal like that again. Those would have worked for the nurse cow crates I built and I paid full price for those panels and cut them too.

Backhoeboogie
have you ever had problems not catchin certain hogs with "floored" traps? We did and we went to a larger trap with no floor to catch them, seems the floor was spooking them when they stepped on it.

Don't know about Backhoe but the first trap I built has a pressure treated plywood floor in it and it catches hogs, raccoons, and even a deer.

My floors get 2 inches of dirt put on top of the grid. Dirt covers the outside. When I bait a hole up, I put an old cow panel there. No trap, just the panel. When I rotate a trap in there, I put the old cow panel in the hole the trap came out of. It is some trouble, but it helps keep them from being afraid of the trap.

I have a big problem with other critters eating the corn. I just started soaking it in diesel. I heard it will kill turkeys though if they eat. I don't want to loose my turkeys as I get pretty good money from the tourists that come down to hunt them. I have about a dozen good ones with 6-9 inch beards right now roaming the place.

What and how are you guys using for bait. I haven't been in the trapping business (hogs) but a few years. Didn't have big problem with them when the property around me was privately held.

Diesel on corn works for me - almost. Still catch things from time to time. We haven't noticed any impact to turkeys. But, if one gets sick, the yotes probably gets it, and I wouldn't know.

I have been told that the overripe bannanas you see in the stories make a good bait for the hog traps. I have not tried it only was told this by a person that said that he could take a ripe bannana and get a hog to tap dance for it. Any way some one some where give it a try and let us know if it works.

Don't have no bananas but I will be setting the trap up this weekend. I will let you know how it performs.

Hogs are funny creatures. I had 57 in a pen and was feeding them corn out of a hog feeder. We had an old bag of apples and decided to throw it to the hogs. Those apples laid in the bottom of the pen and rotted. They wouldn't eat potatoes either.

backhoeboogie":dbyvpaj1 said:
Hogs are funny creatures. I had 57 in a pen and was feeding them corn out of a hog feeder. We had an old bag of apples and decided to throw it to the hogs. Those apples laid in the bottom of the pen and rotted. They wouldn't eat potatoes either.

They love pears baited a hog trap with them a couple of times, big mistake deer, coons, possums, and squirrels like them just as much as the hogs.

nice cage, how does it work, what makes the door close or is it spring loaded? do they have to push it open then once inside it springs closed?

js2743":31uz0tuq said:
nice cage, how does it work, what makes the door close or is it spring loaded? do they have to push it open then once inside it springs closed?

There is a light spring on the door that will close it. There is a stick propping the door open and a rope that runs from one side of this stick back and down to the back/bottom of the trap. When the hogs get in there and start rooting around they pull the trip wire which pulls the stick out and the door closes. The spring is light enough that if another wants to join the caught pig he can push his way in the door and then it will close behind him also.

Well the trap was successful. It caught a boar about 100lbs. I think he was guy traveling around the field fences and going into the back pasture since I have had no damage back there since I caught him.

I caught 4 gobblers a few days ago. Two had 8 inch beards. I let them out.

I have been using diesel soaked corn but folks are telling me it will kill the turkeys. Anyone know for sure. I use the turkeys for the guide who brings down the trophy hunters in spring.

Oh, anyone have a good coyote bait?

hillrancher":1xbuqv7r said:

Snare works well.

I put a day old turkey kill in there and tied him to the trip string. Next morning most of him had been eaten but they didn't pull hard enough to trip the door. I suspect it was a fox rather than a yote.

Florida cattle":2y2xn73w said:
flaboy
The state land you are talking about is it open for public hunting? If so this seasons hunting pressure could have something to do with them comming into your pasture.

Also possible the drought could have something to do with it

No it is closed to hunting. Knock on wood I haven't had a problem since catching that one boar hog.

flaboy":3cyhpgeh said:

bagboy......you may want to think about getting those doggies out of that trap before you bait for coyotes! :shock:

Latest posts