hog wire device?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
We were wanting to put up a barb wire/hog wire fence to make a pen for the baby calves. Is there a device to use that makes hog wire easier to put up, unroll, etc? Any suggestion, I would appreciate.

Gail

GMN":2x571eol said:
We were wanting to put up a barb wire/hog wire fence to make a pen for the baby calves. Is there a device to use that makes hog wire easier to put up, unroll, etc? Any suggestion, I would appreciate.

Gail
i know what you are talking about.ive got 1 made out of steel that you losen the bolts on.an slip it overthe fence wire an tighten it back up an streach the fence.i got it at TCS.its called a woven wire streacher i think.

bigbull338":5gxkbpwj said:
GMN":5gxkbpwj said:

Gail
i know what you are talking about.ive got 1 made out of steel that you losen the bolts on.an slip it overthe fence wire an tighten it back up an streach the fence.i got it at TCS.its called a woven wire streacher i think.

Thanks for that info. I will have to look for one of those.

Gail

I have a couple of 1X4 oak boards that I put on either side of the fence and run a couple og screws through to tighten it on the fence. I pop a loop of chain over the top and bottom and hook a comealong to it. Does the same as the fancy stretchers but it's made from junk I had laying around. I've also used 2X4s but it takes longer screws to fasten them together.

Its a good idea to get/make one with two sites of attachment. This way you can use two winchs to tighten the fence. Also, I have found it best not to get in a hurry when stretching woven wire. Best to stretch it then let it rest for several hours then tighten some more.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I've never been crazy about hog wire, however the system of electric fence we have now just isn't working, and straight barb wire would not work either I don't think, so hog wire it is.

Gail

GMN":297qnch7 said:
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I've never been crazy about hog wire, however the system of electric fence we have now just isn't working, and straight barb wire would not work either I don't think, so hog wire it is.

Gail
There are some kinks in the wire that need to remain. Do not stretch to the point the kinks are gone.

I made an unroller out of an old piece of 4 inch pipe I had laying around. I made a frame on the bottom and then put an old piece of flat sheet metal on top of that. I ran the 4 inch pipe through the sheet metal and welded it to the frame underneath. I wasn't sure it would hold but I have rolled out many a roll with it now. It mounts on the three point and I have chains running from the bottom platform up to a support. Undo the chains and the whole thing pivots down on the lift arm pins. It can be kind of hard to load a roll on but I manage ok.

I have no idea how much you are going to fence, but I just fixed a problem cheap as dirt, with concrete wire. There is kudzu on one side of the place and cows were poking heads between the barbed wire to get it, since the pasture is practically brown now. I priced some hog wire, and then thought about using some concrete wire, priced it, it's only .50 cents per foot, at the hardware store, that's cheap compared to hog wire. I'm sure it won't last as long either, since it's not galvanized, but at the price I tried it, just tied to existing barbed wire staple once in a while, n tie to t post, have not had another cow out since. It's 5 foot high high, 150 feet to the roll, hog wire is bout $3.00 ft. If it rusts out, or whatever, I'll just see how long it did last n kinda compare. I think it will do for your calves also, I don't think it is as tough as hog wire, but if it holds em for the first few little while, they are settled then, to some extent anyway. Just a thought, good luck.
PS don't know how tight to get it either.

tryinhard

dun":2p4rc0pp said:
I have a couple of 1X4 oak boards that I put on either side of the fence and run a couple og screws through to tighten it on the fence. I pop a loop of chain over the top and bottom and hook a comealong to it. Does the same as the fancy stretchers but it's made from junk I had laying around. I've also used 2X4s but it takes longer screws to fasten them together.

Mine looks the same. I was thinking though about trying a 4x4 with 3 of them hook bolts trough it. That way I could just attach the fence to the hooks and I wouldn't have to spend all that time taking the thing apart and putting it back together.

A tip if you do try like my old one. Actually measure the holes and don't just spot drill. Mine can only go together one way I usually have one of the boards upside down or something and the holes don't line up.

tryinhard":3a2h8qo0 said:
I have no idea how much you are going to fence, but I just fixed a problem cheap as dirt, with concrete wire. There is kudzu on one side of the place and cows were poking heads between the barbed wire to get it, since the pasture is practically brown now. I priced some hog wire, and then thought about using some concrete wire, priced it, it's only .50 cents per foot, at the hardware store, that's cheap compared to hog wire. I'm sure it won't last as long either, since it's not galvanized, but at the price I tried it, just tied to existing barbed wire staple once in a while, n tie to t post, have not had another cow out since. It's 5 foot high high, 150 feet to the roll, hog wire is bout $3.00 ft. If it rusts out, or whatever, I'll just see how long it did last n kinda compare. I think it will do for your calves also, I don't think it is as tough as hog wire, but if it holds em for the first few little while, they are settled then, to some extent anyway. Just a thought, good luck.
PS don't know how tight to get it either.

tryinhard

What does concrete wire look like? Are U talking about the mesh you lay under when you pour cement on floors etc?

Gail

There is a piece of pipe I picked up from grandaddy's estate. It is about 4 feet long or so with two 5/16 chain hooks welded on top and bottom. On the same side as the hooks, there is some catches made out of round stock. I didn't know what it was when I picked it up. Turns out it is a net wire stretcher. When you apply tension to the hooks, it twists the pipe (and catches) into the same plane you are pulling the fence in. You can tighten existing net wire, pull wire around a corner post, or stretch new wire with it. I have now used it a few times.

It is sweet for repairs but you really need to of them for splicing. I've never seen another one like this. Don't know if Grandaddy thought it up or if it is a copy cat of someone else's. I've always intended to build another one for splicing net wire but have never got around to it. Most of the time the thing is in the way in the barn or shed. But when you need to stretch net wire (hog wire) it is awesome.

backhoeboogie":2b0i8fbc said:
There is a piece of pipe I picked up from grandaddy's estate. It is about 4 feet long or so with two 5/16 chain hooks welded on top and bottom. On the same side as the hooks, there is some catches made out of round stock. I didn't know what it was when I picked it up. Turns out it is a net wire stretcher. When you apply tension to the hooks, it twists the pipe (and catches) into the same plane you are pulling the fence in. You can tighten existing net wire, pull wire around a corner post, or stretch new wire with it. I have now used it a few times.

It is sweet for repairs but you really need to of them for splicing. I've never seen another one like this. Don't know if Grandaddy thought it up or if it is a copy cat of someone else's. I've always intended to build another one for splicing net wire but have never got around to it. Most of the time the thing is in the way in the barn or shed. But when you need to stretch net wire (hog wire) it is awesome.

Post a pic please.