hog wallows in your pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

moloss

Reaction score
long stroy short if you are having trouble with hogs using part of your pasture as a wallow what is the best way to reclaim it? I assume we need to dump some dirt in the area and then smooth it out then disk it but I am no row cropper......any and all suggestions are appreciated.....thank you.

When I was a kid my dad put domesticated hogs in the cornfields where they were let in to clean them up. In the spring he would put me on a tractor with a disc to go around the wallows to make the dirt loose. The we had two 6 x 6 posts that we had bolted together with boards about 2' apart going in circles till I had them filled in and leveled.

I usually disc them and drag them level. It doesn't do any good if the hogs are still around. Weeds will usually come up but after I cut it the grass will take back over. Its a constant battle here. I am trapping hogs all the time and hardly ever get on a tractor without a rifle.

papavillars":32n5cwnp said:
CB, aren't you afraid your cows might eat the clay pigeons also.

I have heard of them uesed in hayfield mixed with corn and diesel. Heard that is was put in area's they were rooting and coverd up with a tarp till dark.

put the hogs on slats where they should be.

then try and refill the wallowed out area with what they have wallowed out...

Might not hurt to tile it either- as most often a short term problem such as this will remain for many years.. Just think about the 'buffler wallers' throughout the upper midwest.

kfacres":1au4ljmf said:
put the hogs on slats where they should be.

then try and refill the wallowed out area with what they have wallowed out...

Might not hurt to tile it either- as most often a short term problem such as this will remain for many years.. Just think about the 'buffler wallers' throughout the upper midwest.
I assumed he was talking about feral hogs. They may not want to be on slats.

kfacres":2u6fbxal said:
they shouldn't be allowed to live...

Soon as you figure out how to solve this problem you will be a rich man. :lol:
You haven't enjoyed having your hayfield carpet bombed, your pasture looking like a D-9 went through it with a root rake. Not to mention the enjoyment of fence repair. If you would like to join in on the fun they are many members could ship you a crate of pig's for the cost of shipping.

Actually, my parent's just returned from FL from a hog hunting 'trip'. It was a favor returned by the folks who come up here deer hunting through my dad's work. I seen plenty of pictures and the video to know what's going on...

I actually think they 'might' like having the hogs there. Why else would they catch young boar pigs, cut them- notch their ears-- and release them? Why not just do away with them for once and all, instead of catch/ release. Give them something to 'trophy' hunt after- and something to do in the 'off season'.

kfacres":27fg2tvs said:
Actually, my parent's just returned from FL from a hog hunting 'trip'. It was a favor returned by the folks who come up here deer hunting through my dad's work. I seen plenty of pictures and the video to know what's going on...

I actually think they 'might' like having the hogs there. Why else would they catch young boar pigs, cut them- notch their ears-- and release them? Why not just do away with them for once and all, instead of catch/ release. Give them something to 'trophy' hunt after- and something to do in the 'off season'.

The folks that are doing that don't make a living from farming or cattle. They make a living off folks like your parents.

There was a ranch in Norhern ca that used to life trap hogs, cut all the boars and turn them loose. They still had way too many pigs

dun":2f6mf6qh said:
There was a ranch in Northern ca that used to life trap hogs, cut all the boars and turn them loose. They still had way too many pigs

I do think that one intact boar can serve many sows; and it does not have to be fully grown either. If they had made them sterile but left the balls on them, the effect could at least be that the sows came up empty once in a while. The only true way of limiting them is to shoot enough sows (or make sows sterile of course). Obviously when one wants to keep a population up, one tries spare the females. Also, sterilizing hogs and releasing them means that these sterile hogs will do much damage before dieing from age. I bet a castrated hog lives for ten years. Why are people so stupid?

LRTX1":2w1z76jc said:
kfacres":2w1z76jc said:

The folks that are doing that don't make a living from farming or cattle. They make a living off folks like your parents.

Secondly what he hasn't figured out yet no one has come with a way to eradicate the devils. If you have 100 hogs you have to kill 86 a year to stay at a 100. Einstein's theory of relativity is simpler. You could take one hog dog and catch every PWR there was until the intoduction of Russian boar.

That's odd- since the only expense my parent's had- was getting down there, and actually they didn't even pay that... Those guys just returned a favor- said come on down, we'll give you guns, ammo, knives, take you around, and you just bring yourselves and clothes...

I do agree though that the hogs do plenty of damage-- but without people wanting to get rid of them-- they'll only get worse... Sitting on your PC all day long and complaining about the hogs won't get you anywhere quicker or closer to fixing the problem.