Hog problems - Now What??

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyBlue

Reaction score
Hogs are getting after my pasture and my coastal patch. What do I do now? How do I get rid of these pests in the most effective manner possible without mortgaging my land to do it?

CowboyBlue said:
Hogs are getting after my pasture and my coastal patch. What do I do now? How do I get rid of these pests in the most effective manner possible without mortgaging my land to do it?

They'll be sporadic. One week I trapped 43. Some weeks none. And then boom, you trap 20 or so. Then none again.

TexasBoars used to be a valuable asset for trapping and learning methods. Then it became a commercial big game sales site. The Mods there seemed like city people and were making fun of farm people. I am sure there are likely a couple of good folks around that would share info but you would have to weed thru about 1000 to seek them out.

CowboyBlue said:

Start trapping and working nights with a 223. Corn soaked in sour apple or strawberry kool aid works good.
I shot half dozen in bow season trapped with my neighbor 86 or 88 last year.

Caustic Burno said:
CowboyBlue said:

Start trapping and working nights with a 223. Corn soaked in sour apple or strawberry kool aid works good.

That's pretty good sized for them little east Texas pigs. You get over in the hill country your gonna need a bigger tractor.

Caustic Burno said:
CowboyBlue said:

What do you do with the hogs CB? Is there a market for them? I'm just so glad that they haven't made their way into my part of Tennessee yet!

I put a few of the shoats in the freezer every year. The rest go in a hole.
Those in the mule went in mine and neighbors freezer.
Biologists says if you have a 100 hogs you have to eliminate 80 a year to stay at a 100.
I am not winning.
There is a market for them at approved facilities. Last I checked they we're bringing .45 a lb.
It's getting them there that's a pain.
Getting trailers to traps and out, they only accept them here in area October through April.

One taken by cross bow.

Caustic Burno said:
Biologists says if you have a 100 hogs you have to eliminate 80 a year to stay at a 100.
I am not winning.
One would think that there is enough hunger around that someone would want the meat!

https://wildpigs.nri.tamu.edu/media/1160/sp-488-feral-hog-approved-holding-facility-guidelines-in-texas.pdf

This is the last price I found on the internet.
Currently, live sale prices are around $0.10-$0.20 per pound for feral hogs weighing up to 100 lbs, $0.30 cents per pound for animals between 100 and 150 lbs, and $0.60 cents per pound for feral hogs 150 lbs and heavier

CowboyBlue said:

Bad news is... you will never get rid of them.

Start fencing them out now. I'm not a net wire fan but the 3' net will work. Just run it right over the top of the current fence. You can also string barb wires every 3rd notch on the t-post from the ground up to about 1.5-2'. That is what I personally did. A hot wire would work also down low. It's probably the fastest but also the highest maintenance.

You really have to hit them from all angles. Fence out, trap, and shoot.

Fencing them out is the most expensive but it's also the most effective and permanent fix. Trapping is a good way to take out large numbers of new comers. You will have to shoot or hunt out the old smart hogs. Trapping and shooting will give you periods of time where you may not get hit buts it's only a matter of time before the next group moves back in.

The remote traps are awesome but your looking at $3-5k.

Caustic Burno said:
I am not winning.
There is a market for them at approved facilities. Last I checked they we're bringing .45 a lb.
It's getting them there that's a pain.
Getting trailers to traps and out, they only accept them here in area October through April.

One taken by cross bow.

How the heck do you get a wild hog into a trailer from a trap? Tame hogs are dang near impossible to load.

Its always a PIA to load them. I like to wire another panel by the gate to make a hinge and wire it up along the inside of the trap. When you catch some you undo it and swing it toward to other side to corral them a little.

When we were actually selling pigs I would not build those big round traps because they were too hard to load out of and it gave them too much room to run and tear things up. I still like a big rectangle trap. Now every thing gets popped in the head with a 22 so it doesn't really matter.

Guy in that bottom video needs to get a board under that trailer for when he backs up.

As brute stated fencing is the only way to keep hogs out . I use 3 strands from the bottom strand to the ground and one strand between four and five . have not had any hog problems in 5 years except if the fence gets knocked down by a tree but then usually the bottom wires are ok : my son is going to try fencing 130 acres hayfield using 52" cattle panels cut in half , ( he has a good 5 wire fence in place now)I have use hog panels to keep hogs from a feeder : it might work and would save a lot of time and money : has anyone tried this and did it work

f1tiger said:
As brute stated fencing is the only way to keep hogs out . I use 3 strands from the bottom strand to the ground and one strand between four and five . have not had any hog problems in 5 years except if the fence gets knocked down by a tree but then usually the bottom wires are ok : my son is going to try fencing 130 acres hayfield using 52" cattle panels cut in half , ( he has a good 5 wire fence in place now)I have use hog panels to keep hogs from a feeder : it might work and would save a lot of time and money : has anyone tried this and did it work
Haven't seen that one other than around deer feeders.
Most people here use electric or net wire. I have had pretty good success with electric on pasture that doesn't have a creek in it. Now those fences are really hot.
My problem is two creeks running through my place.

f1tiger said:

That will cost a fortune and be super labor intensive. :shock: What was his thought on that vs a net wire?

They make a 3' wire. Think they call it hog wire or some thing.

.6875 per foot not counting clips and your labor : works as a consultant in New Mexico 14-14 : plenty of time if flounder are not running at bolivar peninsula : I told him hire my fence man Juan Gonzales fence company and let a professional due it right : only problem with the extra wire was I put up gates in the bottom land in case my Brahmans decided to jump the fence and then I would not have to cut the fence to get them home : well the small pigs would turn sideways and slide through the gates, put hog panel on the gate and problem solved

my son is going to try fencing 130 acres hayfield using 52" cattle panels cut in half , ( he has a good 5 wire fence in place now)I have use hog panels to keep hogs from a feeder : it might work and would save a lot of time and money : has anyone tried this and did it work

I cut the high tensile field fence in half and use in on the lower half of my pasture fences. It is really discouraging the hogs and the plus is my newborn calves don't venture outside the fence.

Latest posts