Hoeschler hay accumulator

Help Support CattleToday:

HatCreekFan

Reaction score
Does anyone use this? We move several thousand small square bales a year - sell to horse people - and are (FINALLY!!) considering an accumulator and the grapple hooks that go on a front-end loader. Any feedback on these?

HatCreekFan":2u0a2rj6 said:
Does anyone use this? We move several thousand small square bales a year - sell to horse people - and are (FINALLY!!) considering an accumulator and the grapple hooks that go on a front-end loader. Any feedback on these?

HatCreek, we use one and it works good. We also have the 10-pack front-end loader attachment that picks up 10 bales at a time. For just moving the hay from the field to the shed or stack, no manual labor is needed usually. For stacking on the trailer and delivering, we have to put in a little manual labor as we put a row of bales down the side for maximum load.

How wide are your trailers? I'm assuming that it's stacked on edge, right? Any problem with a load not hauling well? Did you buy it used or new?

HatCreekFan":221ky084 said:
How wide are your trailers? I'm assuming that it's stacked on edge, right? Any problem with a load not hauling well? Did you buy it used or new?

I don't know the width of the trailer right off hand, but it's a standard 35' gooseneck flatbed. Yes, the bales are stacked on edge, and no, we've never had a problem with them not hauling well. We tie the load in 4 places with the wide ratchet-type cargo straps. Depending on how far the load is being hauled and the weather, sometimes we tarp it. Both the accumulator and 10-pack were bought used.

If we find one that's used, is there anything specific we should look for? Are some models better than others?

Sounds like we're similar trailer-wise, as far as width goes. Would a different size 'gob' of bales be better? Do you like the way the 2x5 gob works, loading and stacking? Gob is such a scientific word, I know. :)

HatCreekFan":2ebtp95y said:
If we find one that's used, is there anything specific we should look for? Are some models better than others?

I can't answer that question, sorry. :oops: What to look for in farm machinery is not my forte.

Sounds like we're similar trailer-wise, as far as width goes. Would a different size 'gob' of bales be better? Do you like the way the 2x5 gob works, loading and stacking? Gob is such a scientific word, I know. :)

Oh, I don't know. It's no worse than thingamajiggy or whatchamacallit. I've been known to use both! :lol: Quite frankly, I love the way it works as I'm usually the manual labor on the trailer! It's a darned sight easier to flip the last 2 bales around lengthwise than it is to pick up all ten out of the field and toss them up on the trailer! About the only thing you have to watch out for is placement so the lengthwise row down the side doesn't fall off moving around in the field.

A couple of weeks ago I had to start locating hay. I finally located some square bales about 75 miles away. We took two trailers, 21 foot gooseneck and 16 foot utility. The man had one of those things that picked up 2X5's and I truly was in awe watching that thing work. He drove into his barn, picked up 10 bales, drove out to my trailers and just sat them down ever so gently. Piled 'em up 'til my tires started squishing down. I really enjoyed watching him load them.

I didn't particularly enjoy having to unload them when I got back home!!

A 10-pack will truly ruin a person as far as unloading (or loading) hay goes! :lol: :lol: They are so much faster and easier!

Used one to custome bail for a couple of years. It sure saved me when I needed to get 3 or 4 thousand bales in before the rain that night. But it does tend to make you alittle lazier.

Used one to custome bail for a couple of years. It sure saved me when I needed to get 3 or 4 thousand bales in before the rain that night. But it does tend to make you alittle lazier.

Tend to make you a little lazier? Like other modern conveniences do too, right? Like running water and indoor plumbing?

I see no problem with finding a way be more efficient in the way a job gets finished.

I'm just sayin', after riding the tractor for most of the day. It SEEMS like a chore to get off and lay down pallets or stack the rafters. Maybe it's just me.

i wouldn't have another hoeschler if they would give it to me. they are with out dout. a pain in the butt. if you are serious buy a steffens. they are about the same money, but the steffens will run circles around the other. there is no comparison between the two. you can buy them just west of louiville on 64 at hayday. i've had both

Several years ago I bought a nethrexe(sp?)hay accumulater.The bales did all the tripping and you had no chains or hydr on it.We modified a few years back with hyd hoses so you can trip it from the tractor.It does 8 bales and we put the bale grab on a bobcat skidsteer.I bet we've put 20-25,000 bales of hay&straw through it since I bought it.

Howdy,

Have the Steffen Systems here. Model 950 10-pack flat. bale accumulator, and grabber, model 5508 on loader and another on a bobcat. 32' flatbed 8' wide. The 10-pack fits nicely across the trailer.
http://www.steffensystems.com/Products/Accumulators.htm

The only problem I have ever had was..... some said my squares were to heavy. :) I usually sell by the ton anyway. Since I never have to hand touch them, they do tend to get heavy. I usually make 70-90# squares

Latest posts